How can I learn to like exercise

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What physical activity do you enjoy doing the most? Dancing? Swimming? Martial Arts? Rock climbing?
    Exercise doesn't have to be lifting weights or cardio basics. It's more about overall movement and something physical you can do for most of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    I've tried *everything* jogging, aerobics, yoga, gym - I just can't get in to it. I simply don't like exercising - I do ride a bike most places, but it's hardly strenuous. How did you guys get in to it ? It just doesn't make me feel that much better :(

ride more vigorously...I cycle...other than lifting, it's pretty much my only form of exercise save for some hiking now and then and a little swimming in the summer...cycle more vigorously and cut the joy riding out.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you really don't like to exercise, then don't. If you're trying to lose weight, you only need to eat at a caloric deficit.

Forcing yourself to do things you don't enjoy will only lead to unhappiness and your own happiness is way more important than most things.

You said you already bike, and you enjoy aerobics and zumba and walking. Do what makes you feel the best. That's most important.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You mention the time commitment. How much time are you watching tv, on social media, video games, etc?
    I do spend a lot of time on social media / Netflix :|

There you go. Time issue solved
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You mention the time commitment. How much time are you watching tv, on social media, video games, etc?
    I do spend a lot of time on social media / Netflix :|

Turn your TV time into PARTY TIME! If you like Zumba and dance, get up and move while you watch Netflix. I got hula hoops and TV time is Hooping Time (and resistance band time, too). Find something fun that you can do while watching your favorite shows to get you moving.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Another thing - don't be afraid to look foolish. I refused to learn to play tennis and badminton for years because even as a kid, I would get frustrated because I wasn't a natural at it like my brother was. I spent my entire childhood almost completely sedentary (other than some swimming). In my 30s, my DH begged and begged me to learn to play tennis so he could have someone to play with. i finally agreed (reluctantly). I flat-out sucked. Took me a year to learn to serve that stupid ball. Several years later, I still suck - but I sure have fun chasing that little yellow ball around! Thank goodness my DH is super patient (and has good aim!)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I bought a used recumbent exercise bicycle, plenty of time to do Netflix and social media while I'm on that puppy
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Getting some help from a professional to show correct form during exercises, then promising myself that I will have to go to the gym whether I liked it or not every other day (so if I work out today..yea! I don't have to go tomorrow!). And then eventually, I started liking it. Embrace the suck, you're probably not going to like it at first but everything in life that is worth it, isn't easy. But eventually I am almost positive you can begin to find enjoyment, release, and the changes you see in your body and mood will motivate you further. Good luck!
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great forum!!!! I really enjoyed reading all those awesome comments. My two cents is that I think of my workout as time to have fun. I choose workouts where the people talk to you while you do it, which distracts you from what you are doing. I also like to dance, and there are alot of nice workouts with kierra las shae and tiffany rothe. I dont always feeling like getting it done, but when I do, I always wonder why I did not do my workout sooner!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    More than likely, you can't/won't. You won't wake up one morning and suddenly love something that you've hated for most of your life.

There are a few things you can try that might help -
    1. as suggested, try different activities. maybe you'll find something you do enjoy. You mentioned cycling...
    2. if you can stick with it for a month or so, you *should* start to see some progress. perhaps you'll fall in love with the progress enough to make it worth while.
    3. practice. being good at something usually makes it a little less awful.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yeah thanks guys this is all so so helpful, I can't believe nobody has trolled yet ! What an amazing forum :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I would advise to keep on doing something most days, you will see great changes in your body and then you'll realise its worth it.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Wow overwealmed with the response. I would say the main reason I would want to exercise is so I can eat what I like again >:)
    Hmm what exercise do I like ?? I like any aerobics where the instructor actually picks good music... zumba is fun. I do like walking and cycling.

My main problem with the gym is its such a big chunk out of my day - by the time ive got there and back, worked out and showered - it's just precious hours out of my busy life.

The truth is I doubt I can find any sport I like more than hanging out with my cat or drinking with my friends - sad but true !!!

im a busy mum of a 2 and a 3 year old.. i too have limited time.. however i just adore body combat les mills. i dont have time to go to a gym and do it, so its much more convienent doing it at home. i buy the dvds on ebay or i watch a you tube video. i burn about 500 cals a time. i love martial arts.

its all about finding something you enjoy. once you do, it becomes easy to stick at it, because you love doing it.

i myself am struggling at the minute, im gaining each week, so ive lowered my calories and made my logging more accurate. im sitting here everything crossed for weigh in day.

• Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hate it too... But I have noticed I do feel better and lose more weight so I try to do it. Maybe listen to a good podcast or audiobook? That way you are focused on what they are saying and not how much you hate it?? But either way keep at it.,. It will eventually not be so bad!! Good luck!!!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If you like bike riding, then just use that... Up the intensity of your ride till you feel your heart rate come up, keep it elevated for 20-30 minutes. Good enough. It doesn't have to be complicated.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I didn't like going to the gym much until I went to my first spin class! I am now a gym junkie! It relieves my stress and I am sleeping better at night. I cycle in the summer when I can and I love it!! I haven't lost much weight, but I dropped 5 pant sizes. I feel fantastic and have ventured out, I have taken up running (not loving it yet), strength training. I find that I can't seem to sit for long now and am loving life!! It is recommended that you get 150 minutes of physical activity a week. It sounds like you are already past that...so don't stress it!!!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to hate HATE running when I was playing sports growing up and in the military. Now I love it. Not just the result of it, but the actual act of running. What changed is I slowed down and stopped trying to break a personal record every time and wanting to puke at the end. Once I built up a little endurance where I could run without panting for air, it became very relaxing and enjoyable.

If you don't mind biking maybe try building up your bike fitness so it gets easier
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What helped me was to schedule my workouts during my work day. Because getting up from my desk to go for a walk is a lot easier than getting up from a video game on the weekend to go for a walk.

Walking is where I start every time. I get audiobooks, or podcasts, and listen to them only when I'm walking. I look forward to getting away from my desk every day to get my walk in, don't need to change/shower after or anything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    What helped me was to schedule my workouts during my work day. Because getting up from my desk to go for a walk is a lot easier than getting up from a video game on the weekend to go for a walk.

Walking is where I start every time. I get audiobooks, or podcasts, and listen to them only when I'm walking. I look forward to getting away from my desk every day to get my walk in, don't need to change/shower after or anything.

Ya, getting a break at lunch time was how I picked up yoga 20 years ago. Now I walk/hike/maintain trails at lunch. If I ever get bored with that I'll put some audiobooks or podcasts on my MP3 player. Lots of free audiobooks available for download at my library.

I really love getting the break at lunch and I am more productive and energized for it, and the energy boost carries over to the evening.