Recipe Apps - Terrible at Grocery Lists

Options
I need some new healthy recipe ideas. Are there any good recipe apps that you can add on your phone that will provide healthy meals? I'm not one to write a grocery list because I am horrible at planning ahead. However, if I have a recipe on my phone, I can look at it and get the ingredients while I am at the store.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food you cook yourself from ingredients that are also food, will be healthy, unless you under/overcook it. What do you like? Google that+recipe. If you need ideas, borrow a cookbok or google meal+recipe. There are lot of apps for everything these days. I have a really simple and manual system, but it works perfectly: Meal plan > inventory > recipes > shopping list > grocery store > kitchen.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I use Mighty Grocer. You can put recipes into it and then by selecting a recipe you can have the ingredients added to your shopping list in that area of the app. The free version works well, but it is worth upgrading to the paid version. With the paid version you can keep track of what you bought and how much which makes it easy to do price comparisons. It keep track of what you have entered which makes custom shopping list creation easy too.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input! Our family is such an "instant food" family that I have not had to actually "meal plan" and buy ingredients in the past. We just pop it in the microwave and go! Therefore, I feel so overwhelmed right now to come up with meals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    Thank you for the input! Our family is such an "instant food" family that I have not had to actually "meal plan" and buy ingredients in the past. We just pop it in the microwave and go! Therefore, I feel so overwhelmed right now to come up with meals.

I understand. Keep it simple in the beginning. You don't need lots of novelty ingredients, and most ingredients can be substituted. Read the recipe and visualize the process before you start. You will be amazed by the possibilities home cooking provides. And the food will be so much better (healthier and yummier) :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use www.eatthismuch.com because I trust their calorie calculations (they use USDA database coupled with grams), they have an apple app and an android one coming soon. I also love www.skinnytaste.com but don't trust the calorie count. Recipe collection websites are also a good option, www.yummly.com allows you to refine your searh by calorie count, but you need to double check the calories of course. www.foodily.com uses a nice "calorie per gram" system because sometimes you want a decent volume of food, not only something that is low in calories. Both yummly and foodily have apps. Now to round it all up I use pepperplate.com (has an app on all systems) which is a meal planner and an automatic grocery list builder which can import recipes from many recipe websites (including skinnytaste), round up the ingredients for you, and build a grocery list.