How to stop or reduce butt wink on squats?

Options
2»

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Some may know it as Lumbar Flexion. Also OP.

Goblet squats
    Over head squats (grab a broomstick or something)
    Stretch every day
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    well I mean I get it- 20 people off the street- but someone who actually lifts I expect would know a little more. Shrug- my expectations are to high it seems. [/quote]
    I posted this with hope of first hand insight from people who have dealt with butt wink before or tips I haven't previously heard of. Although I don't know everything about fitness, I do know quite a bit. I have dabbed with common suggestions such as goblet squats, more stretching, adjust foot angle, brace abs, etc. and have found my butt wink to survive through all that. I have read numerous articles from the likes of bodybuilding.com, muscle & fitness, strength theory, t-nation but my butt wink is still there. Don't assume I have not done any research.

• Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone responding btw. I will take everyone's suggestions into consideration as I attempt to improve my squat form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    well I mean I get it- 20 people off the street- but someone who actually lifts I expect would know a little more. Shrug- my expectations are to high it seems.
    I posted this with hope of first hand insight from people who have dealt with butt wink before or tips I haven't previously heard of. Although I don't know everything about fitness, I do know quite a bit. I have dabbed with common suggestions such as goblet squats, more stretching, adjust foot angle, brace abs, etc. and have found my butt wink to survive through all that. I have read numerous articles from the likes of bodybuilding.com, muscle & fitness, strength theory, t-nation but my butt wink is still there. Don't assume I have not done any research.
    Shrug I wasn't really talking to or referencing you're quote. Clearly you know what it is and working to correct it. A step above many others. I did not assume you had done no research.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And then there's this
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    And then there's this

Yep. Some pelvic tilt isn't something to freak out about. If the spine stays in a stable position, you're a-ok.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wondering if the OP ever fixed his form? I've been struggling with the same issue; I can't even get to parallel before my butt starts to tuck under. :frowning:
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    improve hip mobility and increase core and glute strength.

these are also the same things that fix the anterior pelvic tilt posture issue.

experiment with widening your stance, not squatting so low (get to parallel but do not go lower if it causes "butt wink"), trying a high-bar position or front squatting (both produce a more upright torso).