Beginner LCHF/Keto

Options
I started doing an LCHF diet about a week ago mainly for weight loss. I got rid of all pasta, rice, breads, sugars, etc. I began eating only non-starchy vegetables, eggs and cheeses, meat and poultry and started cooking with unsalted butter. I drink only 1 mug of sugarfree black filter coffee in the morning, at least 2 liters of water during the day and herbal tea at night.
After testing a couple of apps I finally found MyFitnessPal to be the most helpful. Based on my activity level, current BMI and my weight goal, the daily calorie intake I got was 1460.
Except I think that I'm either placing in my meals wrong or the carb percentage is somehow wrong in the calculations.
I've been having symptoms of the ketone flu for the past 5 days yet my carb intakes per day on average show to be 50%- about 50 g.
Can ketosis still be possible even though I'm not eating any carbs (pasta, rice, bread, potatoes or anything doughy)?
I'm going to make meat broth and drink a bunch tonite. Hopefully I'll feel better otherwise I'm always tired, have a dry mouth, have brain fog, am sneezing sometimes and I get cold and hot in waves. Please need some advice quick!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The body uses over a 100g of glucose per day (I believe) so at 50g of carbs per day, you are probably using a fairly large amounts of ketones for energy. Even dropping carbs to 150g from a higher level can result in an electrolyte imbalance, otherwise known as the low carb flu.

Try increasing your sodium to 3000-5000mg per day. I know it sounds like a lot but it can really help when your electrolytes are low. Salt your food, use salted butter, drink boullion, use salt tablets, or even add a teaspoon if salt to a glass of water.

When sodium gets low, potassium and magnesium soon follows. You may want to consider supplementing those too.

Come join the Low Carber Daily. That is where most low carbers and ketofiles hang out.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    MFP is probably the best app for following the ketogenic diet (yes I use it too) and checking your macronutrients. You would have to add me as a friend to see your food diary, but even without it I can tell you some of the most common mistakes I ran into after starting using MFP. The most important part of adding a food to your diary is first making sure you select the exact food you are consuming, I ran into this myself multiple times. Sometimes you just have to add the food manually from the label or from the website. Some of the more seasoned Keto people advocate pre-packaged (notice I didn't say processed) foods in the early stages of the ketogenic diet as it avoids measuring/weighing and ultimately guesstimating (which humans are notoriously bad at). This also increases the likelihood of the foods you are choosing are already in the MFP food list. If you do have to add a food it isn't that hard provided you have the sources readily available plus if your like most people you will likely have a list of foods you eat over and over so you will benefit multiple times. I am sorry to say even when the food is listed you do have to re-verify that the person put the nutritional information in correctly (this only has to happen once to each food and is rather quick if you have the source website/label available) once its part of your diary so long as you eat that exact same brand over and over you don't have re-verify. I'm sorry to say, I have had to correct some labeling before adding it to my diary (you can verify all info by selecting "nutritional info" just prior to adding. Also keep in mind the same food item may and likely is different at different restaurants depending on what they have done in preparation of that food. I generally found the library to be accurate though but not necessarily catered to my taste. Chipolte for example I get double steak sour cream hot sauce lettuce guac so I had to add those extra macro's as a lot of times how your personal preferences are will be different from others. I probably went on too long about this but you get the point.

I have to say I did not get the keto flu but I did get the rash. So I can't directly empathize. You are fine on your water, tea and coffee. If I am assuming your MFP carb counts are correct though. I don't see how you are getting into ketosis? 50g a day in the (especially) in the initiation phase is too much. I have heard of as much as 60g but that was reported by a guy (who weights a lot more than a woman would) and I still suspect he was at best borderline. There is some argument about the true line but your case (if MFP is correct) you likely are not going to get the full ketosis benefit (namely the hunger pangs going away) unless you get that carb count down. I don't know this for sure but I would imagine the "keto flu" would drag out longer at your current carb count. Dr. Eric Westman says for his obese clients he limits their carb intake to 20g (I believe he uses total not net). That's what I started with it was a little hard at first but he also says eat as much as you want initially but stay under the 20 grams. Most people will say it will take 3 days to deplete you liver of all the glycogen then you will be in ketosis. Then another 3 weeks before you are keto adapted. There are books on the subject but you tube and Dr. Eric Westman allows you watch a video where he walks his patience through it.

So when you ask can ketosis still be possible? If the foods you listed are all your eating it is likely but again I can't see your food diary without you adding me as a friend or sharing it to the general public on MFP. He does say the broth does help with the flu symptoms.
  • RAgruda
    RAgruda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The keto flu is a rough period to go through, but once your body gets used to not having as much carbs you'll be fine. Don't give up, you can do this!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep 30 grams max, 20 better.
  • merveny
    merveny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    As others said check out the LCHF group here, or there's one on reddit under /r/keto (google keto flu reddit and you'll find it). Most people that experience the flu get through it using chicken broth for added sodium, and I think magnesium supplements for cramps or something. It's a bit of a rough patch for sure.
  • Raerising78
    Raerising78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I believe I have the keto rash! It started about a couple weeks ago about a week or so into my diet. My legs itch so badly I could itch them raw! On my left leg I have a rash and not from itching, it was red and blotchy at first and now looks like red very dry cracked skin. I've used coconut and castor oil on the rash to try to relieve the itch and redness and I think it's working. I can't even shave seeing as I'm scared to open this rash and make it worse. My back is also starting to itch. I've done some googling and it seems that doctors and dermatologists don't know much about this condition. Any ideas or help?!! Please feel free to add me.