Has anyone tried....

Options
That concoction with Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon powder and cayenne pepper? You mix those ingredients in water, and I've been told this helps the metabolism and can be a weight loss booster? Anyone have any experience with this?
TIA ;)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. It's a waste of time but if you happen to like your water with all that nastiness there's probably no harm in drinking it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Did you hear about that on Dr Ozz?
    I seriously doubt that anything in those ingredients is a solution to be a weight loss booster. I have read about usine cider vinegar and lemon juice as household cleaning agents, however.

Seriously, if you think it will have a benefit, go ahead and mix up a tonic and try it for a few weeks and see for yourself if it helped you or not.

Anecdotally speaking ...
    I put cinnamon powder in my oatmeal every day and wouldn't want to get too much of it, so I won't be adding it to the water I drink. I'm not crazy about cayenne pepper on its own but love spicy food, so I put it and other harch (bitter, hot) spices into my cooking for many of my menus. Thus, won't be adding any to my drinks of that either.
    On most days I have a salad either as lunch or as dinner ... not usually just a side salad of iceberg lettuce, but a salad chock full of many vegetables and love to dress them with either apple cider vinegar or lemon juice ... so don't feel I need to be getting any more from a drink.

However ... that said, there is nothing as refreshing to me as drinking a cup or two of water that was boiled with a lemon cut up into it. I usually sweeten that a little bit with a teaspoon or two of honey.
    good luck if you try it. Post back how it worked for you if you do.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nikion. I did not hear it from Dr Ozz but actually from a co worker who says its been working for her and "some people she knows". I googled it last night and basically the ingredients in itself provide some benefits that help boost metabolism and burn fat (the ACV, lemon and cinnamon). Overall I learned theu google that it cant hurt but rather help our bodies in various ways, so Im giving it a try. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    XxQueenMxX wrote: »
    Thank you Nikion. I did not hear it from Dr Ozz but actually from a co worker who says its been working for her and "some people she knows". I googled it last night and basically the ingredients in itself provide some benefits that help boost metabolism and burn fat (the ACV, lemon and cinnamon). Overall I learned theu google that it cant hurt but rather help our bodies in various ways, so Im giving it a try. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Let us know how it works. You probably need to get the Braggs apple cider vinegar. It tastes a little better. Exercise has boosted my metabolism.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. It's a waste of time but if you happen to like your water with all that nastiness there's probably no harm in drinking it.

Exactly. But the woo persists.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You read the wrong stuff on Google. This will do nothing, and by nothing, I mean absolutely nothing to boost your metabolism.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You lose weight because it makes you vomit. Have you ever tasted apple cider vinegar?!
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There has not be any research conducted that has shown that this is an effective way to boost your metabolism. Plus that sounds gross!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take a couple of shots of Bragg's mixed with some raw honey whenever I feel a cold comming on, and it seems to prevent it from going any further, but ACV won't help you lose any weight. Only a calorie deficit can do that.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Most of those concoctions include maple syrup or honey to make it taste better, which would add calories. Other than that, probably all placebo effect/not likely to boost your metabolism. Some people swear by it and ACV in general so as long as it's not adding cals, it can't hurt.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Let us know how it works. You probably need to get the Braggs apple cider vinegar. It tastes a little better. Exercise has boosted my metabolism.

"Let us know how it works." Hard to show sarcasm, but I am curious...Braggs & honey was supposed to be the cure all for my GERD. Went off meds, drank this and thought I was going to die from rebound acid reflux combined with the vinegar.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Enough cayenne pepper to boost your metabolism is enough to make you regret your entire life.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Enough cayenne pepper to boost your metabolism is enough to make you regret your entire life.

Right??? Same goes for cinnamon. Go to YouTube and search for "cinnamon challenge".

None of the ingredients in that "drink" (yuck) will boost metabolism or aid in weight loss. It's more diet industry woo.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I heard about it from the guy who posted on here after trying it and woke up in the middle of the night, uncontrollably spraying liquid feces all over himself, his bed and his girlfriend. True story.

If you have a story like that too, I really want you to report back.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    I heard about it from the guy who posted on here after trying it and woke up in the middle of the night, uncontrollably spraying liquid feces all over himself, his bed and his girlfriend. True story.

If you have a story like that too, I really want you to report back.

Nope, been drinking it for 2 days and all is good.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I often wonder why world governments aren't curing the obesity epidemic and saving billions of £/$ in obesity related healthcare problems by just giving people apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon powder and cayenne pepper.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I often wonder why world governments aren't curing the obesity epidemic and saving billions of £/$ in obesity related healthcare problems by just giving people apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon powder and cayenne pepper.

Very funny...not.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Very funny...not.

If it were a truly logical concept, why are dubious information quality sites the only place where this gets mentioned?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Very funny...not.

I think the point is if this worked, everyone would do it and we wouldn't need to lose weight.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I take ACV pills if I feel like I'm retaining water/bloated. It seems to help shed the water quickly. I also take cinnamon pills everynight. I had read that it can help control blood sugar levels (I'm hypo-glycemic) and figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. It helps me. Not in loosing weight, but in other areas.