Who Here Likes to Wear a Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have polar ft4 and have had no problems with it. I'm not sure what I'll get next if this one stops on me, but I know I don't need/wouldn't use a step counter.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin Vivoactive end of last year - but I hate wearing a chest strap, but don't trust wrist reading devices. I ended up getting a wrist strap that is more reliable and it talks to the garmin watch - love it - Scosche Rhythm+ Arm HRM [same as mentioned in previous posts]
  • livinfluffy
    livinfluffy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wear mine ( polar FT4) for any workout that gets my heart rate up so I can keep watch on my rate and recovery rate. I was having a lot of heart palpitations and racing heart rate. It has helped me to realize what exercises that my body freaks out on and to modify so I don't pass out.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I had an FT7 for a while and found it was giving me erratic readings, so I stopped using it. Now I have a Fitbit Charge HR, but haven't done anything other than walking to really see how it handles.

In cold or dry weather, HRMs can be erratic because there's not enough electrolytes from sweat to get accurate readings of the electrical pulses from your heart. Cardio gel can help. My HRM also gets erratic when the battery in the strap is running low.

OP: I use my HRM when running and cycling to ensure that my easy runs/rides are easy enough and that my hard runs/rides are hard enough. Calorie counting isn't really the purpose. I find that Strava's calorie estimates, based only on my cycling speed, distance, and elevation change (and my weight and bike weight) are very close to my Garmin Edge 800's calculations, which also include heart rate.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Note the Scosche Rhythm+ Arm HRM uses multiple color LEDs and should be immune to electrolytes from sweat.

Also no need to splash water on your arm.
  • ear1011
    ear1011 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit HR! I love it, but I am pregnant so haven't lost weight with it haha! I am hoping it will help me drop baby weight when I'm done!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I had an FT7 for a while and found it was giving me erratic readings, so I stopped using it. Now I have a Fitbit Charge HR, but haven't done anything other than walking to really see how it handles.

@malibu927 Do you think it's accurate? I've always read that HR Monitors aren't very accurate for walking, they're more geared toward steady state cardio such as biking or running.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use my MZ-3 at the gym, love it.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I like my Scosche Rythym+. It's wrist based. At the moment, I'm just using it to monitor using Runmeter. It's interesting to see what my HR does at different points of my run (especially on runs where I'm already fatigued) and I'd like to eventually use it to assist with distance run training.

+1 on the Scosche Rythym+. I use it when doing my gym workouts and I connect it with with SportsTracker or MapMyFitness. Cannot speak more highly of this HR monitor

also love this hrm. i had the polar h7 but go so tired of it and my sports bra warring. pair it with polar M400.

previously, i had a polar F6 or something that was good for over 10 years before heart rate went funky.

I got them for the calories but became addicted to numeric feedback about how hard i was working. there was a sad adjustment to how polar changed its calories burned calculations between 2004 and 2015. A spinning class used to be 400 calories now i have to work hard to get into the low 300s with high hr.

• ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Always for running. Have Garmin HRM to pair with my 920xt. Definitely helps see progress and fine tune training runs