HIIT training

Options
I have been useing Sworkit app to do HIIT training. I've been doing 3 days of the strength exercises for 15 minutes ( 30sec exercises with a 30 sec rest after 5) and am thinking of doing the cardio version of it on the off days. This is the only exercises I do, no weights or gym training. I've heard some ups and downs about HIIT training that it shouldn't be done more than 3x a week, is this true. I sit a lot for my job so other than some walking or activities on the weekends this is pretty much my only exercises I've been doing. PS the app automatically enters calories burned in the my fitness app.

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    you can do HIIT every day, multiple times a day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

If you're doing it several times a day, every day, it's not HIIT, merely interval training.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If you do actual HIIT (the way HIIT is supposed to be done), the advice I've seen is to not do it more than twice a week. It's extremely taxing on the CNS (when done right) and overdoing it can hinder recovery.

Problem is, HIIT has become "fashionable" and there are all kinds of silly workouts people are calling HIIT that are no such thing. Cardio interval training maybe, but most definitely not true HIIT.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I meant sprint intervals, which most certainly is HIIT. don't assume i mean something else.
  • AnvilHead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I meant sprint intervals, which most certainly is HIIT. don't assume i mean something else.

Fair enough.

From Lyle McDonald, who is a highly-regarded researcher/trainer:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-1.html/
    Interval Training: Cons

1. The intensity of intervals makes them inappropriate for beginners. One exception is a style of training called aerobic intervals which I mentioned above. But high intensity interval training is simply inappropriate for beginning exercisers, for the same reason that high intensity weight training is inappropriate.

2. Intervals are high intensity training, this has implications for the overall training setup (discussed in more detail in part 2) and integration with the rest of your program (i.e. weight training). Simply put: if you think you can train legs in the weight room 2-3X/week and do intervals an additional 2-3X/week on alternate days, you are incorrect unless you are deliberately trying to overtrain or get injured.

3. Higher risk of injuries: this depends somewhat on the type of activity with high impact activities such as sprinting carrying a higher injury risk (especially for heavier individuals) than intervals done on the bike or Stairmaster.

4. Limited in how many days they can be performed. Two to three days per week is about the maximum for interval training, most endurance athletes won’t do intervals more than twice/week. Have I heard of people trying to interval daily? Yes. Do I think it’s a good idea? No.

5. Intervals hurt, especially intervals in the 60-90 second range where muscular acid levels are very high. If you’re not willing to push yourself, you won’t get much out of interval training. You know the warnings on most aerobics machines, that tell you to stop if you feel signs of exhaustion or fatigue; that’s what a properly done interval program should feel like. Sensations of burning in your legs (from high acid levels in the muscle) along with extreme discomfort are not only common but expected. Some people also report nausea initially, this can be made worse if they have eaten too close to training.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Many confuse interval training with HIIT. Doing high intensity followed by lower intensity exercises is not HIIT. You got to get your HR above 80% of your max - then you're doing HIIT. Only in anaerobic zone your body starts using ATP without the use of oxygen, which is the main purpose of HIIT - to create an oxygen debt in your body which then is replenished - aka EPOC effect. If you can talk during your high intensity period - that's not strenuous enough.

I think doing HIIT (real HIIT) once per day is fine.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    Many confuse interval training with HIIT. Doing high intensity followed by lower intensity exercises is not HIIT. You got to get your HR above 80% of your max - then you're doing HIIT. Only in anaerobic zone your body starts using ATP without the use of oxygen, which is the main purpose of HIIT - to create an oxygen debt in your body which then is replenished - aka EPOC effect. If you can talk during your high intensity period - that's not strenuous enough.

More like "If you don't feel like you're going to puke and die during your high intensity period - that's not strenuous enough". :D
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

More like "If you don't feel like you're going to puke and die during your high intensity period - that's not strenuous enough". :D

ON THE DOT! :smiley:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Many confuse interval training with HIIT. Doing high intensity followed by lower intensity exercises is not HIIT. You got to get your HR above 80% of your max - then you're doing HIIT.

More like 95-98% of max. I'll race a 10K at 80%...
  • brianmdye
    brianmdye Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. It sounds like I'm doing interval training. I'm just doing bodyweight exercises right now( push ups, crunches, lunges, etc.) which at 6'4 380# is enough at the moment . Thanks again.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    brianmdye wrote: »
    Thanks guys. It sounds like I'm doing interval training. I'm just doing bodyweight exercises right now( push ups, crunches, lunges, etc.) which at 6'4 380# is enough at the moment . Thanks again.

Don't get caught up in the semantics--doing higher-effort circuit training is great for most people, even if it doesn't fit the classic definition of HIIT.

IMO, despite it's benefits, almost no one actually needs to do true HIIT. Most people will do just fine doing workouts such as yours, or tempo training.
  • Skillet007
    Skillet007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You know the warnings on most aerobics machines, that tell you to stop if you feel signs of exhaustion or fatigue; that’s what a properly done interval program should feel like. Sensations of burning in your legs (from high acid levels in the muscle) along with extreme discomfort are not only common but expected. Some people also report nausea initially, this can be made worse if they have eaten too close to training.

Man, I feel like that when I'm walking to class or jog for 45 seconds on the treadmill.