So ashamed

Options
vasdfp24
vasdfp24 Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I lost 14.6 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet in less than 6 days and the past two days I've ate whatever I wanted. I feel so ashamed of myself. I was doing so good and now all I want to do is kick myself. I think it's mostly because we didn't have groceries so I had to eat whatever I could find. But I should have tried harder. Good news is I go grocery shopping tomorrow but I don't really know what to buy. :( everything was so repetitive last time.

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just start again tomorrow, make a plan, don't feel ashamed.
    It happens to everyone.
    U can do it!
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's only two days, pick yourself up and start fresh tomorrow, you've barely started this journey, still got plenty of time.
  • vasdfp24
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    It's only two days, pick yourself up and start fresh tomorrow, you've barely started this journey, still got plenty of time.

Thank you!! Just wish I would have tried better. :(
  • vasdfp24
    Options
    Just start again tomorrow, make a plan, don't feel ashamed.
    It happens to everyone.
    U can do it!

Thank you!! Definitely starting better tomorrow!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Successful "diets" are those we can adhere to. Perhaps 1200 calories is not appropriate for you. Maybe you restricted too much, or cut out a type/food group? We all have bumps in the road, but picking a calorie goal that is not too aggressive while maintaining a flexible dieting with foods you love can lead to a lot less of them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    vasdfp24 wrote: »
    I lost 14.6 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet in less than 6 days and the past two days I've ate whatever I wanted. I feel so ashamed of myself. I was doing so good and now all I want to do is kick myself. I think it's mostly because we didn't have groceries so I had to eat whatever I could find. But I should have tried harder. Good news is I go grocery shopping tomorrow but I don't really know what to buy. :( everything was so repetitive last time.

Sounds like 1200 calories was way too low for you. Over restricting can trigger a binge.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh now, and what's your goal weight?
  • vasdfp24
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sounds like 1200 calories was way too low for you. Over restricting can trigger a binge.

My nutritionist put me on it because she said my metabolism is to slow. Message me for my stats I'm kind of embarrassed.
  • vasdfp24
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Successful "diets" are those we can adhere to. Perhaps 1200 calories is not appropriate for you. Maybe you restricted too much, or cut out a type/food group? We all have bumps in the road, but picking a calorie goal that is not too aggressive while maintaining a flexible dieting with foods you love can lead to a lot less of them.

1200 calories really isn't that bad I don't feel like. I was doing great and then ran out of foods I bought and everything was so repetitive everyday. I wish I knew what was good for me. Like a better list.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

My nutritionist put me on it because she said my metabolism is to slow. Message me for my stats I'm kind of embarrassed.

You shouldn't be embarrassed by your stats. None of us are perfect. Most of us are very far from it. We're here to support one another not denigrate each other. Instead be proud that you've decided to change them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

1200 calories really isn't that bad I don't feel like. I was doing great and then ran out of foods I bought and everything was so repetitive everyday. I wish I knew what was good for me. Like a better list.

If you're already feeling like everything is so repetitive, do you really think you're in this for the long haul? Even if you do manage to lose the weight eating a boring/repetitive diet, will you understand how to eat to maintain the loss? Will you eat this way for the rest of your life?

Eat foods you like.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What is your height and age?
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

You need to find a way to do this while incorporating things you like. You can't just cut out all of the treats you like and expect to create a sustainable weight loss plan! Try upping your calories a bit, I'm 5' tall and a female and I'm eating around 1500 calories a day and losing. Fool around with the number, you won't lose as quickly if you up but you will create a program you can stick to longer term and start teaching yourself habits for when you reach maintenance which is much more important.
  • terooru
    terooru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats on the the progress you have made so far! I eat 1700 calories a day. I recommend writing down vegetables you like and some of your favorite fruits. When you're at the grocery go for those items. Don't buy veggies you don't like. Don't force yourself to eat, for example, broccoli if you hate broccoli! Some tasty foods I eat weekly are almonds, greek vanilla yogurt, silk almond milk, salmon, turkey bacon, quinoa rice etc. Spaghetti squash is super tasty and I also recommend Arctic Zone ice cream (35 calories per 1/2 cup, great with macros) Good luck and never feel ashamed. We all have those moments, it'll get easier!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Do you have a list of foods from your nutritionist you can post here?
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far. It's easy to fall off the wagon when you don't have your usual food/routine available. I house-sat for a friend over the weekend and it... Didn't go so well.
    But I guarantee that you're still better off than if you hadn't met your goals for those six days beforehand. Two steps forward one step back is better than standing still.

This little blip might help you to learn to plan ahead so you don't get caught out without groceries in future. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Here's a thread looking for others with a lot to lose: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10340276/looking-for-friends-with-a-lot-to-lose-x#latest

(Lots of Brits on that thread. A stone = 14 pounds.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your first week has been a bit challenging. The thing is, you need to find what will work for you in the long run. I started here at 222lb. I was at least 15lb heavier before I started. I tried 1200/day. Lost 20 in 2 months, and then couldn't stick with it. Then began a cycle of embarrassment and failure that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Read some of the threads that are stickied at the top of the getting started and general weight loss boards. There are two called Most Helpful Posts. These are a collection of posts that users have found very helpful. Do some reading.

Stop feeling ashamed of where you are and the choices you have made. You can't change that. You can make changes today, so focus on today. Each morning, focus on that day. Have some patience. You can do it.
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No need to feel shame. Start fresh tomorrow. Also, as many people have said, 1,200 calories is almost a starvation diet. Check with your nutritionist to make sure thats what s/he meant.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What kind of training and certification does your nutritionist have? A Registered Dietitian (RD) is a title only earned through special training and certification. Pretty much anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist."

I'm not understanding why the nutritionist felt your metabolism is slow. What medical tests verified that for the nutritionist? Did they send you to your doctor for tests?

Please be careful with people who will take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge or experience. There is a lot of objective information and resources in the stickies (the first few posts in the forum). Don't be afraid to ask questions and do your own research from credible sites. There's a lot of crazy stuff out there! :smile:

Nobody's perfect 100% of the time. No need to be ashamed. Just keep trying. It sounds like your diet is really restrictive. You want to make sure your body is getting the nutrition it needs. Try entering your numbers into Scooby. Scooby can help! http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
  • pepperfrostx
    pepperfrostx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon so many times it hurts. But you just gotta get back on! I believe in you!