Quitting Soda

Options

Replies

• thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am a huge coke addict. Last year I went cold turkey for 10 weeks. After the first week it wasnt too bad as I was doing a food program at the same time and not buying lunch, eating takeout etc made it easy. During this time I really focused on changing the habit of drinking with meals cause I'd always choose coke normally. I also tried to drop the grab a drink when filling with fuel, doing the shopping etc habit. I've quit before mainly to prove I could but it was the habit that was the killer, even after cravings had gone I was so used to grabbing a coke with lunch or while shopping I was often replacing it with something else while I quit and then would cwitch back to coke when I'd finished quitting.

As a replacement I drink mineral water. I started with the flavored stuff lemon/lime etc but now just plain mineral water. I drink plain water during the day but night and weekends its all mineral water which makes it feel a bit special and less boring.

I do find now that I've let coke back into my life it is a slippery slope to letting it get out of control again. But I have found times that I've bought a coke out of habit/ intention to have one and ended up not drinking it. I also am more likely to have 1 coke at the pub/dinner now and then switch to soda water more easily. I guess I am almost treating it like drinking alcohol. Sometimes and in moderation is ok. I often mean to have a coke free day as I know my addiction is still at a level where I wont suffer withdrawals but they happen less and less frequently.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I drink topo chico every morning. It scratched the itch for something carbonated.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Is diet really any better?

For losing weight, you bet it is!
  • jessicalopezlv
    jessicalopezlv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wildeyezz wrote: »
    I weaned myself off Coke by replacing fresh water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime. I rarely have Coke now, because I crave water more.

I did the exact same thing, I was drinking about 1 liter of soda per day. Haven't had any for over 30 days!
  • Kait3822
    Kait3822 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda almost by accident, and now I only drink soda if it is in a mixed drink. I used to drink at least two cans of soda a day in high school, probably more, but I'm not sure as it's been almost ten years since then. I stopped buying it in college, only drinking it when I went out to eat or to the school cafeteria. Then I started ordering tea instead, and only had soda when I was craving it. Pretty soon I got to the point where I almost never craved it.

Now I'll have soda maybe once every two months, if a fancy bottle of root beer comes my way, but I can't drink all of it. I can really tell a difference in my body when I do drink even a little, I feel bloated and gross. I really noticed a change when I started drinking water all throughout the day. Take it slow and treat yourself occasionally. You'll start to feel a change!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

Zero calories. Still fizzy, still sweet, still satisfying.

In moderation, like all things, of course.

Diet soda has been linked to cancer.

What hasn't been linked to cancer?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I've never been a drinker of regular pop, always liked diet better. I have one or two cans a day. Not giving it up.
  • karenburnsbot
    karenburnsbot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gave up my daily Diet Coke by switching to La Croix and to flat water with a lemon or lime slice in it. Now I can get through the day with water and hot tea only. I have maybe 5 sodas a year now, as a treat. Good luck!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Kait3822 wrote: »
    I stopped drinking soda almost by accident, and now I only drink soda if it is in a mixed drink. I used to drink at least two cans of soda a day in high school, probably more, but I'm not sure as it's been almost ten years since then. I stopped buying it in college, only drinking it when I went out to eat or to the school cafeteria. Then I started ordering tea instead, and only had soda when I was craving it. Pretty soon I got to the point where I almost never craved it.

Now I'll have soda maybe once every two months, if a fancy bottle of root beer comes my way, but I can't drink all of it. I can really tell a difference in my body when I do drink even a little, I feel bloated and gross. I really noticed a change when I started drinking water all throughout the day. Take it slow and treat yourself occasionally. You'll start to feel a change!

I have never really been much of a pop drinker, although I would have it occasionally when at a restaurant. I think this would be a great way to start limiting your intake. Give yourself a certain set of circumstances under which you allow yourself to drink it, but limit it to one serving at a time. The less you drink it, the less you want it.

One of my resolutions for 2016 is to not drink any pop all year (primarily due to calories). I am still going strong and don't miss it at all. But, as I said, I never really had a problem with it in the first place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-5 12oz sodas per day...I can't remember the last time I actually had a soda...I occasionally will use some soda as a mixer or something, but I don't think I've sat down to drink an actual soda since...Mmmmm...September when I took my kids to McCall's Pumpkin Patch where I traditionally have a home brewed sarsaparilla. I might have the equivalent of 3 sodas per year these days tops.

I quit drinking sodas almost three and a half years ago now...I thought it was going to be some great task, but it was pretty easy for the most part. I just weened down to one per day for the first week...then one every other day...then one a couple days per week...then once per week...then none and I was done. I still like fizzy stuff and drink a lot of carbonated water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I still drink 2 -3 cans of diet soda (Coke Zero or 7-up free) a day

And around 2 litres sparkling water

I fail to see the issue TBH
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda during a 3 week post-holidays added sugar/artificial sweetener detox (I was feeling like I couldn't go back to healthy eating after enjoying all of the high-sugar holiday foods). That was 4 years ago. I don't miss it. I drink black coffee in the morning, and water the rest of the day. I will occasionally have a beer or a glass of wine when out to dinner. I don't do artificial sweeteners of any kind, so diet sodas are out for me. The only time I drink anything like that now is when I am sick to my stomach - I will get a single serving of ginger ale, and drink a little bit to help settle it. That's it. I don't miss the calorie expenditure, nor the extra sugar grams. It wasn't easy at first, but the longer I went, the better. And it is important to replace the muscle memory with a new one. When you find yourself in the midst of reaching for a Coke, make a point to grab something else instead. Try plain water, but if a flavored water or unsweetened iced tea works better for you, then go for that. You need to keep reinforcing the new habit though - unfortunately the old habit will never leave our brains completely.

I recommend "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. The book goes into the science behind how habits are formed and maintained, and the best way to adjust them when needed.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey and got a nasty headache. I now only drink a soda when I have a theater night with my youngest and it takes like syrup. Drinking Diet carbonated beverages doesn't help. The carbonation is the killer here, and helps keep weight in the thighs... There is research to back this up. Now I drink coffee and water, and my reward is a latte about once a month. I'll drink tea also. But all that artificial sweetener does is give me a migraine. Doing your best is what counts. I used to limit myself to a Pepsi a day. I quit last January and have had about 4 Pepsi's in a year. Best of luck.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can totally identify with you. I have quit cold turkey diet pepsi that I was totally addicted to (I drank 2-3 litres of it daily for 25 years) and now only drink water, and 1 coffee a day. I have relapsed many times in the past. This time I have learned that for myself that just 1 will lead to future cravings and I really don't want to go there anymore. I have never felt better and I personally feel that diet pepsi used to stimulate my appetite.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I switched from Coke to Coke Zero. Not quite as good as Coke but not as horrible as Diet Coke. Zero calories or carbs so I can get them from something else and still have soda. Works for me.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I gave up Pepsi on December 31st. I still drink Diet Coke in moderation, but I had to go cold turkey on the Pepsi. It's a trigger for me - I have one, then it becomes one every day, and then soon I am drinking it like water. For some reason, I don't have the same issue with any other drink. I don't like the idea of the artificial sweeteners in Diet Coke, so I may eventually cut it out entirely.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    I quit cold turkey and got a nasty headache. I now only drink a soda when I have a theater night with my youngest and it takes like syrup. Drinking Diet carbonated beverages doesn't help. The carbonation is the killer here, and helps keep weight in the thighs... There is research to back this up. Now I drink coffee and water, and my reward is a latte about once a month. I'll drink tea also. But all that artificial sweetener does is give me a migraine. Doing your best is what counts. I used to limit myself to a Pepsi a day. I quit last January and have had about 4 Pepsi's in a year. Best of luck.

Regarding what I bolded:
    "Keeps the weight in things" ... that is kind of ambiguous. I think you're trying to say it keeps people from losing weight? If not, please clarify what you do mean.

And please, point us to the research that backs this up. (Links would be really nice)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

Zero calories. Still fizzy, still sweet, still satisfying.

In moderation, like all things, of course.

Do tell. A link to a scientific study would be nice. Something other than the one on lab rats who were fed their body weight in sweetener per day.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

So has being alive. Sometimes people who are alive get cancer.

• SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to diet coke. At one point, I would have up to 4 or 5 a day.

I started off by switching to 1 Diet Coke a day, and drinking crystal light whenever I felt a craving come on. Gradually, I've been able to wean myself off of all soda and sweet beverages. It took me almost a year, but now the only things I drink are water, hot/iced tea (unsweetened), and LaCroix sparkling water. I also have an occasional glass of wine or beer.