Translation?

Options
Crimson21
Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
Ok, so I know this is COMPLETELY off topic!! But I need some help with a translation. I want to get a tattoo of one of the commandments on my foot "Honour thy father and mother". I want it translated into Italian. I'm posting this on here, cause I'm hoping that at least ONE of you out there can speak Italian fluently.
The translation I got for it is "Onora il padre e la madre." Is this right? i see that sometimes the "il" is replaced with "tua". If anyone knows the exact translation, can you please let me know?? I'm getting this tattoo for my parents, and to remind myself that no matter what happens, they will always be there for me before anyone else.

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    With the jokers here, I'm not so sure I'd trust the answers.
  • fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    tua means `your` in italian...
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options

Bahahahaha!! Brutal honesty but I agree! :)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    i think its right but taking 101
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be any help in the translation, but I think it's a wonderful thing you're doing. A great way to honor your parents.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Bahahahaha!! Brutal honesty but I agree! :)

Why so negative about the people on here?
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I would verify it another way. If this is going to be on your body forever you want to make sure it's 100% right!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have a translation app on my phone and it came up exactly as you posted. That's a sweet idea. :smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    From this website (http://www.biblestudytools.com/ephesians/6-2-compare.html) I get:

Onora tuo padre, e tua madre.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know this is COMPLETELY off topic!! But I need some help with a translation. I want to get a tattoo of one of the commandments on my foot "Honour thy father and mother". I want it translated into Italian. I'm posting this on here, cause I'm hoping that at least ONE of you out there can speak Italian fluently.
    The translation I got for it is "Onora il padre e la madre." Is this right? i see that sometimes the "il" is replaced with "tua". If anyone knows the exact translation, can you please let me know?? I'm getting this tattoo for my parents, and to remind myself that no matter what happens, they will always be there for me before anyone else.

Go to proz.com. Lots of certified translators there in many languages. You can asked your question on the message board.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    it depends on how formal you want it to sound. i'd go with 'il' but that's because i think 1) it looks better on a tattoo and 2) it sounds more formal and fancy.
  • AmyBMelt13
    AmyBMelt13 Posts: 20
    Options
    Google translate: Onora tuo padre e la madre
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You could maybe go to a local college and speak with a Professor :) My husband is German and says a lot of the online translators are no good. Good luck!
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Google translate: Onora tuo padre e la madre

I'm sorry, but as a translator, I have to add : NEVER trust Google Translate!
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi! im not italian but im portuguese and its both latin languages, but you better ask an expert, you dont wanna get a tattoo based on someone you dont know, id say! so onora il padre e la madre i think it means honor the father and the mother. i think you want onora tuo padre e tua madre.
  • Crimson21
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm in a small city, so there aren't really any translators here. But I'll definitely do my research and try to find a professional who can give me an exact translation. :)
  • Crimson21
    Options
    I just got a translation from a couple of professionals from proz.com (thank you for suggesting that site), and they all said the same thing. The translation is "Onora il padre e la madre". :)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Would you get something tattooed to your body on the advice of complete strangers? People do joke. People on the internet do sometimes joke to see if a person is "gullible" enough to listen to them. It would provide some people endless laughs to know that someone got a misspelling tattooed on them.

Edit: This is to the person who asked about why so negative about the people on this site.
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    you can also google "i comandamenti", its gonna give you the commandments in italian, you can compare! or dieci comandamenti!
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 100% Italian and the translation you have is correct. That is "Onora il padre e la madre."
    You can't literally translate it from English, which would make it "Onora tuo padre e tua madre" because that is not correct in Italian. Also, being one of the 10 commandments, it should be quoted as it is, which is "Onora il padre e la madre."

Hope that helps.