1200 cals for all loss rates??

Options
Hi

I am 28yrs old, female, 5'2. 140lbs. I want to get to 126lbs. I would say I am sedentary. I work at a desk all day, and don't do exercise in the evenings (although this will eventually change.)

I set my loss rate to 2lbs a week originally and got given 1200 cals. I thought this might be a bit extreme loss as I've not far to go, so I changed to 0.5lbs a week, which still gave me 1200 cals.

I know MFP won't put a number below 1200, but now I'm worried that I should be eating around 1000 calories just to lose weight??

I got myself a Fitbit and yesterday I took my mums dog out for a long walk after work and did some squats, mountain climbers and lunges. I got a calorie adjustment of 484 (based on BMR plus exercise calculated both by fitbit).

My MFP is still set to 2lbs as the amount of cals didn't change, so surely I can't eat 1684 cals and still lose 2lbs a week?

I'm just confused as to why all settings, 2lbs a week, 1lb, 0.5lbs a week all give me 1200 calories a day. In the case that it's just not showing me a lower limit (say 1000), maybe I shouldn't eat back any fitbit calories?

I just don't know...any help would be really great.

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eat 1400 calories a day try avoiding processed foods and get your macros right
    Exercise calories I'd avoid eating until goal
    You don't have much weight to lose but it helps to eat healthy so you stay full on those calories
    Go on Healthyeater.com calculator it's a good one
  • size102b
    Options
    roavwkip17ty.png

That's lightly active burning 200-400 calories a day in exercise otherwise it is also saying 1286 as you are now sedentary
  • size102b
    Options
    Don't eat exercise calories
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    But MFP says 1200 a day even for 0.5lbs weight loss, which I'm assuming is 200cal deficit per day? So is it saying my TDEE is 1400 calories? I'm really confused.

I don't plan on eating any exercise calories, but is there harm in doing so if my fitbit calories adjustment is 400 say? Is it bad to eat 100 of them, so 1300 a day?

I see other people who are the same height, similar weight and MFP gives them a much higher calorie goal, even on sedentary.

The reason I picked sedentary is because I only walk my mums dog on occasion, I'm planning on exercising with my OH, but this won't be consistently on a certain number of days per week, so I wanted to switch to sedentary, and then eat the extra cals my fitbit says, as if I walk the dog for 90minutes at a fast pace 3 times a week, then do some strength or other exercise on 2 days a week, shouldn't I go by what the fitbit says each day? If I had a lazy day, then surely my fitbit would account for that?
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ah, the pain of being a shorty and only getting 1,200 calories. I'm also 5' 2" and started in January at 153lbs. I'm currently at 141lbs and aiming for 130lbs. I have MFP set to sendentary and it is synced with my Fitbit. I usually get about 400-500 exercise calories a day and eat about 50-75% of them (ate 100% last night - it was pizza night!).

So I have lost 12lbs in seven weeks by eating around 1,500 calories a day. The thought of not eating back my exercise calories just does not compute for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    as you are short, your maximum calorie deficit will be less. I put your stats into http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and it gave a TDEE of 1585 for you at your height/age/weight. TDEE is the amount of calories you need on a daily basis - this is BMR (ie. what your body needs to function even if in a coma) plus calories needed for your activity level (sedentary).

In order to lose 2lbs a week you'd need a 1000 calorie deficit per day - this takes you way below the recommended minimum of 1200 in order to get good nutrition. This is why MFP gives you 1200 all the time.

You also don't have a massive amount to lose, so would be better aiming for a slower target. Personally I would aim for around 1400 calories, maybe a little more but keep an eye on your average. Exercise calorie estimates are just that, an estimate, and generally a pretty poor one. Aim for around 1400 calories, then see how you are losing. If you are losing too fast, then up the calories a bit. Slow is better, don't shoot for 2lb a week.
  • melissa112
    edited February 2016
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    as you are short, your maximum calorie deficit will be less. I put your stats into http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and it gave a TDEE of 1585 for you at your height/age/weight. TDEE is the amount of calories you need on a daily basis - this is BMR (ie. what your body needs to function even if in a coma) plus calories needed for your activity level (sedentary).

In order to lose 2lbs a week you'd need a 1000 calorie deficit per day - this takes you way below the recommended minimum of 1200 in order to get good nutrition. This is why MFP gives you 1200 all the time.

You also don't have a massive amount to lose, so would be better aiming for a slower target. Personally I would aim for around 1400 calories, maybe a little more but keep an eye on your average. Exercise calorie estimates are just that, an estimate, and generally a pretty poor one. Aim for around 1400 calories, then see how you are losing. If you are losing too fast, then up the calories a bit. Slow is better, don't shoot for 2lb a week.

So I would need to eat 585 cals a day to lose 2lbs a week, that's insane!

In the past 2 weeks I've lost 3.5lbs, eating around 1200 calories per day, sometimes under. The past week I've not been as great with the nutritious stuff though.

So even to lose 1lb a week, 1200 is too high? I'm not looking to lose extra fast, but I don't want this to take 6 months either when I don't have too much to lose. I'd be happy at 133 as a first goal.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I just want to eat more haha.

Edit: Just thinking about it, if my fitbit did say calorie adjustment of 400, that would take me up to 1600 and above my TDEE, so I'd put on weight? Especially as I should only be eating 1000cals a day to lose 1lb a week!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hm that's really odd it gives you 1200 for all. I'm almost exactly the same stats as you I'm 5'2, 29, and weigh 139. When I put in a weight loss rate of 1 lb or 2 lbs it gives me 1200 but when I do .5 lbs it gives me 1400 and this is all at sedentary since I have a desk job.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 142lbs and am losing about a pound a week eating 1,450-1,500, so you probably don't need to go down to 1,200. It's a hard diet to stick to. I think it comes up with the same for 2lbs and 1lb because what you would need to consume to lose 2 pounds a week goes below 1,200, MFP's minimum threshold.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    melissa112 wrote: »
    But MFP says 1200 a day even for 0.5lbs weight loss, which I'm assuming is 200cal deficit per day? So is it saying my TDEE is 1400 calories? I'm really confused.

I don't plan on eating any exercise calories, but is there harm in doing so if my fitbit calories adjustment is 400 say? Is it bad to eat 100 of them, so 1300 a day?

I see other people who are the same height, similar weight and MFP gives them a much higher calorie goal, even on sedentary.

The reason I picked sedentary is because I only walk my mums dog on occasion, I'm planning on exercising with my OH, but this won't be consistently on a certain number of days per week, so I wanted to switch to sedentary, and then eat the extra cals my fitbit says, as if I walk the dog for 90minutes at a fast pace 3 times a week, then do some strength or other exercise on 2 days a week, shouldn't I go by what the fitbit says each day? If I had a lazy day, then surely my fitbit would account for that?

MFP isn't a TDEE calculator!
    You need to understand how the tool works or you will continue to be confused. There's lots of sticky threads at the top of each forum to help you.
    Your MFP calorie goal is expecting you to eat back your exercise calories. As your exercise regime is irregular then the "MFP method" may well suit you and perhaps motivate you to do more which will have fitness, health and muscle retention benefits whle still keeping the calorie deficit goal you choose.

Also don't confuse the MFP activity setting with exercise - it's completely separate and relates to your lifestyle / job.

Also learn how you should use your fitbit or you will be doubly confused. Might be an idea to do one thing at a time. Keep it simple, let your actual results over time be your guide not a random set of numbers which are easily undermined by logging inaccuracy.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it's come up as 1,200 for 0.5lb though. I would eat more than that if I were you, and eat back some of your exercise calories. I sometimes eat a few of them, sometimes I eat back all of them.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was eating AT LEAST 1300-1400 a day and managed to still lose 54 lbs & now I eat 1700-1800 and haven't gained back. Focusing more on WHAT you're eating is key in my opinion.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP you are considered a short in height. No matter what weight goal you put in to loose weight, the minimum MFP is going to allow is 1200.

I too am short, and this is the same allotment for me as well. So we can take a look at age, height, current weight and come up with your TDEE and BMR and see just how many calories you need to perform work, and daily activities and how much the deficit really is off of those numbers.

Customizing the setting while not a great idea, IMHO and should use MFP recommendations. Eat back your exercise calories when you start this activity up (at least a portion to keep your energy balance in check).

ETA: I see that someone ran your stats in Scooby and TDEE is 1585, so your deficit is 300 calories a day at 1200. I just saw this, sorry about that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi

I am 28yrs old, female, 5'2. 140lbs. I want to get to 126lbs. I would say I am sedentary. I work at a desk all day, and don't do exercise in the evenings (although this will eventually change.)

I set my loss rate to 2lbs a week originally and got given 1200 cals. I thought this might be a bit extreme loss as I've not far to go, so I changed to 0.5lbs a week, which still gave me 1200 cals.

I know MFP won't put a number below 1200, but now I'm worried that I should be eating around 1000 calories just to lose weight??

I got myself a Fitbit and yesterday I took my mums dog out for a long walk after work and did some squats, mountain climbers and lunges. I got a calorie adjustment of 484 (based on BMR plus exercise calculated both by fitbit).

My MFP is still set to 2lbs as the amount of cals didn't change, so surely I can't eat 1684 cals and still lose 2lbs a week?

I'm just confused as to why all settings, 2lbs a week, 1lb, 0.5lbs a week all give me 1200 calories a day. In the case that it's just not showing me a lower limit (say 1000), maybe I shouldn't eat back any fitbit calories?

MFP is trying to tell you that you cannot lose more than 0.5 lbs per week without changing your activity level.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would suggest building your deficit by moving more rather than eating less.
    ETA: Still eat a deficit like 1400, but by doing more movement through the day you'll build a similar deficit to "lightly active" instead of "sedentary".
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi

MFP is trying to tell you that you cannot lose more than 0.5 lbs per week without changing your activity level.

This.

And also as mentioned, MFP doesn't figure your TDEE.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    hag48125 wrote: »
    I do not subscribe to the whole you need 1200 calories to be healthy. That was put in place long before sedentary lifestyles, computers and office jobs. I live on 1000 calories most of the time. When I want to lose weight I will drop to 500-900 calories. I participate in intermittent fasting when I want to go out to eat and it does not slow my metabolism. I lose weight when I need to. I have my MFP set at 1000 calories all of the time. I pay no attention to exercise calories burnt. 1000 calories period. To lose weight, one must eat less food. Yes, I know this will probably cause a windfall of "I am doing it all wrong" and I will ignore it all, but do what works for you. This most definitely works for me. I will point out that I double my multivitamins, calcium and Vit C and on days I need to drop below 1000,I triple them.Again, find what works for you and go with it.

What a miserable way to live.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP says BMR is 1318 so sedentary TDEE without exercise 1582. Should manage a 0.5 lbs/week loss with a goal of 1332 so something isn't right.
  • melissa112
    Options
    Yes, I am going to start moving more. This time last year I was really active, then things changed. I moved in with my partner, we like those cosy nights in etc, I get home from work late and have to leave early now because of change in location, so by the time I get home, cook something, I never feel like doing much!

He's said he wants to start exercising too so this will be good.

As my calories are set to 1200, which is still wrong unless it's 0.5lb a week, I guess I can never eat more than that without doing a lot of exercise!
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you are short and you are already close to a healthy weight (vs at an obese BMI), weight loss moves at a glacial pace because the calorie deficits are very small. As a fellow short gal (though shorter than you at about 5 foot) that is also relatively sedentary, I would accept that your base calorie intake should be around 1200 (especially since you have had success with that!) for loss and then log all of your exercise into MFP. Once you log those exercise calories, eat up to half of them back if you are hungry. MFP does overestimate how many calories you burn doing exercise, so if you eat all of them back you will likely "undo" the calorie burn from the exercise.

Remember that when you only have a few calories to eat, choosing the right things to eat will help you to feel full! This means lots of protein and fiber. You also don't have to give up things you love! You can have the things you crave if you really want them, just in smaller portions.

Also, remember that the first few weeks of weight loss also include water loss, so don't be discouraged if your rate of loss lows down a little bit. So long as the scale as moving in the correct direction (even in decimals), then its a success!