Low carb macros anyone?

Options
Hello
Just curious to know what r ur macros if ur doing low carb and did u succeed with that?

Ps: I started low carb due to pcos but a bit confused about the whole process:)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When you reduce carbs you need to increase fats.

Here's a low carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    5, 10 or 15% carbs, 20 or 25% protein, maybe 30 at a push, fats to make it 100.
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I divide my macros evenly between fat and protein (40 %), with carbs at 20 %. This is my first time really focusing on macros instead of just "calories in v. out", and it's been a struggle to hit my carb goals - but I'm taking it one day at a time!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have gone very low carb high fat with a ketogenic diet. My macros are about 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat ( about <20g, 70g, and 110g). Fat is usually over 50%. Low carb can go up to 100g or 150g carbs depending on who you talk too. Macro wise, that could be as high as 30% on a lower calorie diet; I tend not to think 150g of carbs is low carb if one is eating only 1200kcal per day. Under 20% for carbs seems more common.

For me, LCHF as worked very well. It cut my sugar cravings right out and my appetite was reduced. If I eat at a deficit I tend to lose weight faster than most calculations would expect, and if I eat a lot (over 2200-2500kcal) I don't regain a thing - even without exercise.

Plus it helped my health. My BG is much lower, I have less pain, more energy (after the initial week when I let my sodium, magnesium and potassium get low) and my hypoglycaemic episodes are a thing of the past.

Do check out the group listed above. They are a very helpful bunch, and the atmosphere is very friendly.

Best wishes.
  • dragonpunch
    dragonpunch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs.
  • Dollface1280
    Dollface1280 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your low-carb journey! If you want to know exactly what your macros should be, you can use this calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

And as other people have stated, set your protein to at least .8g/pound of body weight, and keep carbs at around 5%. Also it works best if you set your activity level to 'Sedentary', as then you'll know for sure you're eating under your maintenance calories.

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Carbs at 5% is a ketogenic diet. Not all low carb diets are ketogenic.

... Although I think 5% was a great place to start so I stayed there for the last 8 months. ;)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and did some reading. They suggest no more than 30% carbs. The other thing that is key is what KIND of carbs. I'm getting most of my carbs from fruit with minor allowances for a piece of rye toast (bread is fine if it is true whole grain). The white carbs (white rice, potatoes, white bread, etc.) are the real killers for those with PCOS. Are you taking any medication for the PCOS? I started the low-carb and Metformin one week ago, and I've lost 8.6 pounds. I anticipate that slowing down as time goes on, but it's a good start. The Metformin helps to keep insulin levels in check, but it's not for everybody. It has done a number on my stomach this past week, but it seems to be settling down (though I bumped my dosage today, per doctor's orders, which may mess it up again for a bit).
  • truuplayer
    truuplayer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi if you are interested in low carb recipes, and a fun group i have a fb group called; loving loving liw carb living! Hope to see you there, i wish you well on your journey.