Heating Blueberries

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    How on earth can simply heating something up add calories? Where do they come from? Do the blueberries absorb microwave energy somehow and turn it into calories? Interesting. Does this apply to all food? Because I use my microwave a lot.

Heat energy is added by the microwave energy which is a small part of the electrical energy which in turn is a part of the fuel used to generate the electricity which......

A calorie is a unit of heat energy, its very definition is that heating something up adds calories.

pzv5j7l.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If fruit is cooked there are juices released, fibers broken down and the sugar becomes more available. But the quantity of sugar is the same. The difference would be that the sugars would enter the bloodstream faster for the cooked fruit than from the raw fruit. But the same number of calories would be consumed in both instances.

The reason cooked foods like meats are more calories per gram (and this is reflected in the MFP entries raw vs cooked) is that some water is released during cooking.

Frozen to room temperature surely makes no difference.

Not for everyone, when I cook with frozen shrimp the weight change is about 30% from frozen to room temp. (one weighs the drained shrimp, not the left over water.)

What does it matter? All shrimp calories are small amounts anyway.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Lov3lif3 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP it's ...not sweat the minute details like if heating your blueberries in the microwave adds 1 calorie to them. Or, while they are hearing, walk one lap around your kitchen and it's a wash.

Rest assured.. I won't be breaking into a sweat. Why the need to say such a thing? It was just an informal question and I was not unkind in any way when I asked. I'd rather you left those kind of comments. Good luck!

I'm sorry you chose to focus on this part of my post and ignored the message I was trying to convey. There are myriad complicating factors that make total accuracy almost impossible to achieve. Far more important than whether or not there is a thermal effect on calorie counts introduced by the microwave is just being consistent and logging daily, using a food scale ideally. My suggestion of walking around your kitchen to offset the extra calorie from the microwave just illustrates how many variables there are in play, not to mention the many tongue in cheek suggestions introduced by other posters in this thread. The fact that one poster validated your initial question does not negate the fact that the impact is statistically insignificant on the total overall process(something that poster acknowledged in a subsequent post).

People who tend to sweat the small stuff with regards to weight loss often get discouraged when their weight loss patterns do not follow their expectations, and many give up. I find it to be far more helpful to be directionally correct over time, be patient and realistic with your expectations, so that you can stick with it in the long term.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This thread is entrancing
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Is this really an argument about 2 calories that may or may not exist? If anyone thinks 2 calories is going to make or break them, even over an extended period of time, there are bigger issues going on.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If fruit is cooked there are juices released, fibers broken down and the sugar becomes more available. But the quantity of sugar is the same. The difference would be that the sugars would enter the bloodstream faster for the cooked fruit than from the raw fruit. But the same number of calories would be consumed in both instances.

The reason cooked foods like meats are more calories per gram (and this is reflected in the MFP entries raw vs cooked) is that some water is released during cooking.

Frozen to room temperature surely makes no difference.

Not for everyone, when I cook with frozen shrimp the weight change is about 30% from frozen to room temp. (one weighs the drained shrimp, not the left over water.)

What does it matter? All shrimp calories are small amounts anyway.

d32a664fcae71f974f9595fa316351c9.jpg
  • senecarr
    Options
    Is this really an argument about 2 calories that may or may not exist? If anyone thinks 2 calories is going to make or break them, even over an extended period of time, there are bigger issues going on.

2 calories that the world will apparently eat out of the OP if she just stays outside for a minute while eating her blueberries.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

f_736e9616ae.jpg

• Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

It was a question.... not an argument. However OP clearly have decided to pull that apart... BTW. If anyone enjoys pulling OP questions apart rather then adding a kind answer, then I'd prefer them to jog on.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    OP it's ...not sweat the minute details like if heating your blueberries in the microwave adds 1 calorie to them. Or, while they are hearing, walk one lap around your kitchen and it's a wash.

Rest assured.. I won't be breaking into a sweat. Why the need to say such a thing? It was just an informal question and I was not unkind in any way when I asked. I'd rather you left those kind of comments. Good luck!

But sweating actually burns calories.

(Unless, of course, yarwell says otherwise.)

sweating does not burn many calories at all. shivering burns much more. you will burn way more cals out in the cold than in a sauna.

sitting in a sauna will only cause water weight loss. once you rehydrate you will gain that weight back.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you have gotten 3 pages of replies, and have decided to believe the one poster who told you to count extra calories and assume the other 2.9 pages of replies were wrong.

To all - regardless of whether the difference is negligible or not, isn't this accounted for by choosing the correct database entry? If you weigh your food item raw, be sure to choose a "raw" entry in the database. If you weigh your item cooked, be sure to choose a "cooked" item in the database. Cooking does at the very least affect the amount of moisture in food and will therefore change the weight, which will change the calories. That's why you should always try to weigh raw, because there are several variables when cooked that can make your measurement less than accurate.
  • senecarr
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

sweating does not burn many calories at all. shivering burns much more. you will burn way more cals out in the cold than in a sauna.

sitting in a sauna will only cause water weight loss. once you dehydrate you will gain that weight back.

But what about shuddering? I need to log that I'm shuddering to think I've been mislogging my sweating calories burned as anywhere near my shivering calories burned.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

sitting in a sauna will only cause water weight loss. once you dehydrate you will gain that weight back.

Temperature regulation (either direction) burns no calories. Is that really what you and others are positing in this thread?

And remember, this thread is about heating food, so it's about the body's process of regulating temperature down, not up.

Save your argument the other direction for an upcoming "do I burn more calories if I eat my food frozen instead of heated" thread.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That's more related to thermal transfer of heat away from the body than actual shivering. Whereas thermal transfer by sweating is an evaporative passive process. But you are right - we lose more calories in the cold - maintaining temperature equilibrium.
  • erickirb
    Options

It was a question.... not an argument. However OP clearly have decided to pull that apart... BTW. If anyone enjoys pulling OP questions apart rather then adding a kind answer, then I'd prefer them to jog on.

The issue was your question was hard to follow and it wasn't clear what was being asked. (I thought the OP's first language may have been something other than English after reading it)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    how's this thread going?

Oh....

wtf-teletubbies-party-009-08282012.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

In all fairness, no one was arguing and people were simply giving their answers to your question until you started refuting those answers with "Yarwell said so."
  • erickirb
    Options

Temperature regulation (either direction) burns no calories. Is that really what you and others are positing in this thread?

Reading comprehension fail on your part.

sweating burns only slightly more cals than if in a warm room, and less than in a cold room.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

The issue was your question was hard to follow and it wasn't clear what was being asked. (I thought the OP's first language may have been something other than English after reading it)

Seemed clear to me. No need to blame ESL on that .... oh, wait.

<-- ESL dude.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is a question I've been curious about. I like my bananas a little green, I find the very mature ones too sweet. Same banana left on the counter for a week and it tastes much sweeter. Fruit gets sweeter as it matures--I assume the calorie count goes up accordingly?

Yeah, I assume riper bananas are more caloric than the average used and less ripe bananas less caloric. Since I don't tend to choose riper bananas on average, I figure it averages out and isn't worth worrying about.

On the other hand, I weighed kale this morning since the scale was right there, so what we think is worth bothering with is going to be different from person to person. (I will never bother with worrying about whether I will absorb more calories from heated fruit.)