auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Lov3lif3 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP it's ...not sweat the minute details like if heating your blueberries in the microwave adds 1 calorie to them. Or, while they are hearing, walk one lap around your kitchen and it's a wash.

Rest assured.. I won't be breaking into a sweat. Why the need to say such a thing? It was just an informal question and I was not unkind in any way when I asked. I'd rather you left those kind of comments. Good luck!

But sweating actually burns calories.

(Unless, of course, yarwell says otherwise.)

sweating does not burn many calories at all. shivering burns much more. you will burn way more cals out in the cold than in a sauna.

sitting in a sauna will only cause water weight loss. once you dehydrate you will gain that weight back.

Temperature regulation (either direction) burns no calories. Is that really what you and others are positing in this thread?

Reading comprehension fail on your part.

sweating burns only slightly more cals than if in a warm room, and less than in a cold room.

Except his point was that sweating burns calories (since the OP said she wasn't going to sweat). You chose to refute that. Seriously, what is going on in this thread?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is this really an argument about 2 calories that may or may not exist? If anyone thinks 2 calories is going to make or break them, even over an extended period of time, there are bigger issues going on.

It was a question.... not an argument. However OP clearly have decided to pull that apart... BTW. If anyone enjoys pulling OP questions apart rather then adding a kind answer, then I'd prefer them to jog on.

The issue was your question was hard to follow and it wasn't clear what was being asked. (I thought the OP's first language may have been something other than English after reading it)

Seemed clear to me. No need to blame ESL on that .... oh, wait.

<-- ESL dude.

I will admit that some ESL have a better grasp of the language, using it correctly, than those that are EFL.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    What the....
    I'm so confused right now
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This is a question I've been curious about. I like my bananas a little green, I find the very mature ones too sweet. Same banana left on the counter for a week and it tastes much sweeter. Fruit gets sweeter as it matures--I assume the calorie count goes up accordingly?

Yeah, I assume riper bananas are more caloric than the average used and less ripe bananas less caloric. Since I don't tend to choose riper bananas on average, I figure it averages out and isn't worth worrying about.

On the other hand, I weighed kale this morning since the scale was right there, so what we think is worth bothering with is going to be different from person to person. (I will never bother with worrying about whether I will absorb more calories from heated fruit.)

It goes up and then down.
    Certain cooking transformations convert starch from an unabsorbed form to absorbable form.

Minor stuff. If you are eating a lot of unripe bananas it might be an issue. But then you have other major concerns.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I would think if cooling the body were to use calories, it'd mostly* be in the vasodilation.

*Where 'mostly' means basically nothing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP it's ...not sweat the minute details like if heating your blueberries in the microwave adds 1 calorie to them. Or, while they are hearing, walk one lap around your kitchen and it's a wash.

Rest assured.. I won't be breaking into a sweat. Why the need to say such a thing? It was just an informal question and I was not unkind in any way when I asked. I'd rather you left those kind of comments. Good luck!

sweating does not burn many calories at all. shivering burns much more. you will burn way more cals out in the cold than in a sauna.

sitting in a sauna will only cause water weight loss. once you dehydrate you will gain that weight back.

Temperature regulation (either direction) burns no calories. Is that really what you and others are positing in this thread?

sweating burns only slightly more cals than if in a warm room, and less than in a cold room.

OP isn't talking about a cold room (or even cold food). She's talking about ingesting heated food (for which she asked about additional calories). I simply pointed out that she wasn't considering another element of her equation which is the body's effort needed to regulate temperature down as a result*.

(And I am guilty of many shortcomings, but reading comprehension isn't one of them.)

* Sure, this is entirely inconsequential...but arguably no less so than the impact of the original question...(which is my underlying point).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This is a question I've been curious about. I like my bananas a little green, I find the very mature ones too sweet. Same banana left on the counter for a week and it tastes much sweeter. Fruit gets sweeter as it matures--I assume the calorie count goes up accordingly?

Yeah, I assume riper bananas are more caloric than the average used and less ripe bananas less caloric. Since I don't tend to choose riper bananas on average, I figure it averages out and isn't worth worrying about.

On the other hand, I weighed kale this morning since the scale was right there, so what we think is worth bothering with is going to be different from person to person. (I will never bother with worrying about whether I will absorb more calories from heated fruit.)

It goes up and then down.
    Certain cooking transformations convert starch from an unabsorbed form to absorbable form.

Minor stuff. If you are eating a lot of unripe bananas it might be an issue. But then you have other major concerns.

I would expect so.
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Is this really an argument about 2 calories that may or may not exist? If anyone thinks 2 calories is going to make or break them, even over an extended period of time, there are bigger issues going on.

It was a question.... not an argument. However OP clearly have decided to pull that apart... BTW. If anyone enjoys pulling OP questions apart rather then adding a kind answer, then I'd prefer them to jog on.

In all fairness, no one was arguing and people were simply giving their answers to your question until you started refuting those answers with "Yarwell said so."

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

OP isn't talking about a cold room (or even cold food). She's talking about ingesting heated food (for which she asked about additional calories). I simply pointed out that she wasn't considering another element of her equation which is the body's effort needed to regulate temperature down as a result*.

(And I am guilty of many shortcomings, but reading comprehension isn't one of them.)

* Sure, this is entirely inconsequential...but arguably no less so than the impact of the original question...(which is my underlying point).

zqzuk.jpg
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i read somewhere that cold pasta has less calories. AND, if you reheat it, it also has less calories than when fresh out of the pot..something to do with resistant starches? idk, i like my pasta, hot, cold, reheated. maybe not less calories now that i think about it, but lower glucose? /shrug/ anyway, these topics are interesting, especially when they go off the rails. lol
  • auddii
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i read somewhere that cold pasta has less calories. AND, if you reheat it, it also has less calories than when fresh out of the pot..something to do with resistant starches? idk, i like my pasta, hot, cold, reheated. maybe not less calories now that i think about it, but lower glucose? /shrug/ anyway, these topics are interesting, especially when they go off the rails. lol

Are you thinking of rice? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    jenelh wrote: »
    ...And the most pointless thread of the day award goes to... "Heating Blueberries"!! Narrowly beating out "Yum or Yuck" for the win!!

It was never pointless.. but unfortunately there are some silly people on here whom feel they are better than others.. whereas those really do need to get a life. If you feel it's pointless don't reply!

The award goes to those "Pathetic replies".
  • auddii
    Options
    I really love zero yogurt and got blueberries. I am wondering now I am counting calories, would I need to add extra calories? I only hear them for 30 seconds in the microwave so they are oosing - then add 2 big spoons of zero yogurt. Good heaven!

No. You do not need to add extra calories.

/end thread
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Are you thinking of rice? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/

I think Dr. Oz likes to talk about resistant starches.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    well, no, i wasn't thinking of rice, but a quick scan of the article, it sounds like the same principles. but omg, did you read that depending on varieties they are thinking it could reduce the calories of rice by 50-60%?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Yup.

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/resistant-carbs-fight-cancer

"The Cook-Then-Cool Technique
    By cooling resistant starches, you can actually increase their nutritional value, making them even more resistant to be being broken down in the small intestine. Cool down your carbs before eating them. Make a habit of eating a bowl of cold brown rice and beans at least 2-3 times a week as a main dish or side dish."

Good ol' Dr. Oz.

:neutral:
  • auddii
    Options

Yup.

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/resistant-carbs-fight-cancer

"The Cook-Then-Cool Technique
    By cooling resistant starches, you can actually increase their nutritional value, making them even more resistant to be being broken down in the small intestine. Cool down your carbs before eating them. Make a habit of eating a bowl of cold brown rice and beans at least 2-3 times a week as a main dish or side dish."

Good ol' Dr. Oz.

:neutral:

Oh good; now we know it's true.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    well, no, i wasn't thinking of rice, but a quick scan of the article, it sounds like the same principles. but omg, did you read that depending on varieties they are thinking it could reduce the calories of rice by 50-60%?

The 50% is WaPo's science writer not really following the study, which I believe was never replicated properly. If I recall correctly, it is that for the 10 to 20% of carbohydrate that becomes resistant starch (and I believe that 20% was a hypothesized potential with refined methods conjectured by the original research team), and that 10 to 20% has its calories reduced by 50 to 60%. Oh, and it does this after you've added oil with calories in it into the rice cooking process.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I really love zero yogurt and got blueberries. I am wondering now I am counting calories, would I need to add extra calories? I only hear them for 30 seconds in the microwave so they are oosing - then add 2 big spoons of zero yogurt. Good heaven!

No. You do not need to add extra calories.

/end thread

THAT'S NOT WHAT YARWELL SAID SO PLEASE TO JOG ON
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a unit of measure for heat right? Makes sense.