Question for women only...

Options
hgellings
hgellings Posts: 295 Member
I was just wondering if anyone on here has tried Yaz birth control or the generic version Gianvi. I have been on Lo Loestrin Fe for the last month and have been reading a lot of reviews about weight gain so my dr is switching me to Gianvi to try. I have hit a plateau for the last month and have even gained 1-2 pounds so I'm starting to wonder if its the Lo Loestrin Fe. Gianvi would also be A LOT cheaper for me than the Lo Loestrin Fe so another good reason to make the switch.

So... Have you tried Yaz or Gianvi and how did you like it? Any major side effects??

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    wasn't Yaz recently recalled for extreme health defects like strokes and stuff?
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    yaz is bad. I'm currently on loestrin 24 fe and had no problem losing the 30lbs i've lost so far. i can understand why you'd wanna switch that it's cheaper...i've never gone generic but u could try it for a while and see what it does.

good luck!
  • Asiral
    Asiral Posts: 133
    Options
    I believe Yaz, Yasmin, and other BC with Yaz or yas might be good to avoid... I have been on something called Azurette, its a low dose of Estrogen and I haven't had any issues on it for the 7 years that I have been on it. My issue with weight gain was horrible eating habits. You just have to shop around for what is right for you and your body. I had to try quite a few different ones until I found my current one. Im definately no doctor, but I would suggest doing some research online and also speaking to your doctor about the risks of whatever you are thinking of trying. I hope that helped...
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Been taking Yaz for three years. Never had a problem with it until the last few months, when I started getting my period earlier than I was supposed to (I suspect my change of lifestyle was the reason!). It's back to normal now, though. No real side effects for me; it reduced the length of my period from eight days to four and that is only ever a good thing in my eyes! And I didn't gain any weight due to the pill.

*EDIT: Also, yes, Yaz is under investigation for potentially a higher risk of blood clots, which contains drospirenone, versus other birth control. In the past my doctor has said that this risk is usually only higher for women who smoke and who are older, 30s-40s. There's still a risk of blood clots with other birth control pills, but the investigation is studying whether it may be higher with Yaz. They'll come out with the findings after this summer. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303657404576357683175203832.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have been on Ocella. It's generic for Yaz or Yazmin...I can't remember. But I've lost almost 50 lbs while on it. It's pretty cheap with my insurance, but I don't know if you don't have insurance. I would suggest it. It worked for me, anyway.
  • Dagnytaggert
    Options
    I have been on Yaz for almost a year now and I like it. It takes care of the mood swings, improves my skin, and I haven't seen any birth-control related weight gain.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I was on Yaz and then switched to Yasmin when it came out. I was on them for a total of about 6 years. Never had any problems or any side effects. Made my periods much lighter, shorter, regular (obviously), and really helped reduce cramping. I can't say if I gained weight or not, since I did gain in those 6 years but that could be contributed to the PCOS and not necessarily the pill.

I did find that when I first started taking it, for the first few months, I was a mess. My emotions were all over the place, I'd get angry or upset and start crying at the drop of a hat. Incredibly annoying, but once I waited it out the first few months, my body regulated and that went away. So I'd say to give it a chance, even if that is happening.

I did make myself sick once on the Yaz- I took two in one night because I had missed one and I definitely suffered the consequences because of it! The Yasmin is a lower dosage, so that probably wouldn't happen, but I'd recommend being careful and not doing that either way, lol. That goes for all birth control pills, hahaha.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm on the IUD Mirena and I love it. It wasn't painful and has stopped my period. Before my daughter was born, I tried OTC Lo and Nuva Ring. They were both okay. I haven't tried Yaz, but it's a pretty bad drug. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I was on Seasonique for about a year and had horrible side effects. I switched to BeYaz and it seems to be going well.

Yaz did well for me but my insurance wouldn't cover it so I had to switch to something my doctor gets samples of on a regular basis.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hormonal BC is just evil stuff. No, I'm not a pro-life whack job and I certainly do not believe in "oops" children; I use Paraguard.

Here's why: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=birth-control-pills-affect-womens-taste
  • hgellings
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! I have been doing lots of research and of course you find lots of bad and lots of good and never know what to believe or go with. The Lo Loestrin Fe has been fine for the month I took it... I didn't get a period and that had me worried a little bit until I tested and read that it can be normal to have extremely light spotting to no period at all. I think month after month of no period may get me a bit worried, but I'm sure any woman could ultimately get use to no period. :bigsmile:

What is the difference between Yaz and BeYaz?
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    I got Gall Bladder Problems when I was 13 when they put me on YAZ (I was irregular, had cysts ect....not having sex that young :] )
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! I have been doing lots of research and of course you find lots of bad and lots of good and never know what to believe or go with. The Lo Loestrin Fe has been fine for the month I took it... I didn't get a period and that had me worried a little bit until I tested and read that it can be normal to have extremely light spotting to no period at all. I think month after month of no period may get me a bit worried, but I'm sure any woman could ultimately get use to no period. :bigsmile:

This will show you a nice comparison between Yaz and BeYaz :)

http://birth-control-pills.findthebest.com/saved_compare/Yaz-vs-Beyaz-Birth-Control-Pills

Looks like the only difference is that BeYaz has some calcium.
  • hgellings
    Options

This will show you a nice comparison between Yaz and BeYaz :)

http://birth-control-pills.findthebest.com/saved_compare/Yaz-vs-Beyaz-Birth-Control-Pills

Looks like the only difference is that BeYaz has some calcium.

Thank you!
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've never been on Yaz but I have a few friends that have and they said it's bad news. Lost of health problems. I'm on Ortho Cyclen and haven't had any problems. I'm still losing weight by exercising and watching my calories and my period is so light and short I almost don't notice it. It really helped to relieve the horrible cramping I used to have also.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite through the first pack of Ocella. I was put on it because of horrid pains and menstrual cycles. Like to the point we're thinking it could be endometriosis.

Instead of going through more tests and possible surgery we're trying to manage my symptoms with BC.

So far, I had a rough first week but since then it's quite mellow. I haven't experienced a period yet but I'm feeling pretty positive that this was a good choice for my system.

So far I'm not holding weight on and I don't feel bloated and gross. I've actually lost a little and I'm wondering if this balance of hormones is just right enough to balance my system and allow it to let go of the weight.

We'll see....so far...so good.