Getting totally disillusioned trying to lose fat by lifting

Options
Hey guys I am getting really disillusioned trying to shed body fat and need some help and advice.

I have always been an unfit office worker and weighed 14st a few years back when I decided to get a bit fitter. I did cardio and dropped two stone but couldn't get any lower and still well overweight for my height 5ft 7in.

In January I started a lifting program which covers the main lifts, bench, squats, dead lifts and overhead press as well as other things in between. I do 8-10 reps and 4 sets of each exercise and increase the weight by 2.5Kg each week as long as I am doing the reps. I do this three times a week and the session lasts about 60 minutes each time. I can't do heavy stuff as I have never had much muscle and definitely am very weak. (See log of last session below)

My food intake is measured reasonably accurately as I log and weigh my food and I am eating the following every day as near as possible:-

Calories 1700
Protein 40%
Carbs 30%
Fat 30%

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I started out at 176 lbs 8 weeks ago and still weigh 176lbs today. Yes I feel like I have lost a bit of fat and gained some muscle but why no actual weight loss?

I have read about gaining muscle while losing fat but not for 8 weeks surely, so am I doing something wrong? I can't eat any less as I am always hungry and feel pretty lethargic too. Anyone care to help me out with some advice?

Thanks
Chris

Last session logs

Squat
Set 1: 25 kg × 5
Set 2: 35 kg × 3
Set 3: 50 kg × 2
Set 4: 60 kg × 8
Set 5: 60 kg × 8
Set 6: 60 kg × 8
Set 7: 60 kg × 8
Set 8: 30 kg × 20

Bench Press
Set 1: 45 kg × 8
Set 2: 45 kg × 8
Set 3: 45 kg × 8
Set 4: 45 kg × 8
Set 5: 30 kg × 20

Deadlift
Set 1: 70 kg × 10
Set 2: 70 kg × 10
Set 3: 70 kg × 10
Set 4: 70 kg × 10
Set 5: 50 kg × 15

Bicep Curl
Set 1: 27.5 kg × 8
Set 2: 27.5 kg × 8
Set 3: 27.5 kg × 8
Set 4: 27.5 kg × 8
Set 5: 15 kg × 20

Military Press
Set 1: 15 kg × 8
Set 2: 15 kg × 8
Set 3: 15 kg × 8
Set 4: 15 kg × 8

Incline Bench Press
Set 1: 25 kg × 8
Set 2: 25 kg × 8
Set 3: 25 kg × 8
Set 4: 25 kg × 8

Barbell Close Grip Bench Press
Set 1: 25 kg × 8
Set 2: 25 kg × 8
Set 3: 25 kg × 8
Set 4: 25 kg × 8

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 17.5 kg × 10
Set 2: 17.5 kg × 10
Set 3: 17.5 kg × 10
Set 4: 17.5 kg × 10
Set 5: 17.5 kg × 10
Set 6: 17.5 kg × 10

Bent Over Row
Set 1: 25 kg × 20

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Maybe drop the protein intake a bit and add some fat instead so your meals are more satisfying and then see if you can ease off the calories.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I started out at 176 lbs 8 weeks ago and still weigh 176lbs today. Yes I feel like I have lost a bit of fat and gained some muscle but why no actual weight loss?

Would you be happy to sacrifice muscle just so you get an actual loss on the scale? If so with all due respect, you're being silly. If you're actually gaining muscle here, this is a very good thing. Rather than just weigh yourself, measure your waist as well, if that's going down, then the number on the scale is only useful for setting your calories. You'll also be told to double check your logging accuracy is up to speed, it's quite easy to get that wrong. But if you do feel as though you're losing fat, and decreased measurements show this, then you don't need to worry about the weight.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That workout looks insane to me, no wonder you're lethargic! Is this what a trainer came up with for you? Do you have some guidance with this? It's pretty intense on 1700, I'm 5'7" also and couldn't do this! You shouldn't be worried about the weights you're lifting or that you're "weak", you'll get stronger, and lighter weights doesn't reflect the intensity of your exercise. If fat loss is your goal you could maybe split that programme up and do 2/3 of it one day and add in some cardio maybe? A few HIIT rounds for 10 mins or treadmill sprints or something? Maybe others will give better advice on the workout but it seems pretty heavy, no wonder you're hungry all the time. But well done anyway!

Take measurements and log them, you might be losing inches without realising. Take full length photos in the same position once a week or so and after a few more weeks you might see some changes in shape, it's a good way to monitor progress.

Some simple things; make sure you're getting enough sleep and drinking enough water. You can mess with meal timing to eat your carbs before and after your workout (I have something like sweet potato or pats beforehand, and something like sugary breakfast cereal with protein powder, or jelly beans to replace glycogen afterwards).

It should be enjoyable, pushing yourself and eating nice foods and watching your body change... You shouldn't be exhausted or lethargic so I hope you pinpoint exactly what needs changing, but you're doing great so far. :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of sets and a lot of reps

If you are truly eating 1700 calories for 8 weeks you would have lost weight, no matter how much lifting you do or any chance of muscle gain, it would not overweigh any fat loss .. I think you have logging issues

Is your diary open?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd be looking to follow a decent strength building routine to be honest - I'm not getting your sets / reps and weights

try stronglifts 5x5, starting strength or ice cream fitness
    throw in some cardio 2 x 30 min sessions

tighten up your food logging
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Try 25/35/40. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a ton of volume. You're doing in a day what most do in a week
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said - way too much volume on the lifting and probable logging issues.

I would suggest getting a better strength routine, eating a little more (say 1,900 cals a day), being utterly ruthless with your logging for the next month and then re-assessing.

If your results aren't going the way you want I would keep the above structure and slowly introduce a couple of shortish cardio sessions as well as an insurance policy against poor logging / secret eating. I'm pretty sure you will see some pleasing changes in your body if you remain patient.
  • CTRLplusZ
    CTRLplusZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What is more important to you, the number on the scale or the appearance of your body?

If i were in your shoes i would stop weighing and start using a measuring tape and progress photos.
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm not bothered about weight loss to be fair just want to see results. I'm impatient I guess. I took my measurements today and it looks like I have lost an inch from my waist since three weeks ago so that's good.

I forgot to mention I also play squash once a week for 40 minutes so that should cover my cardio.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    40 minutes a week is not much cardio...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Maybe drop the protein intake a bit and add some fat instead so your meals are more satisfying and then see if you can ease off the calories.

A 5' 7" male of 176 lbs lifting weights 3 times a week doesn't need to go below 1700 calories to lose weight.

He's also already getting ~56 grams of fat a day. His macros are fine.

OP,
    I suspect the issue lies in accuracy of what your logging. Make sure you weigh everything (no eyeballing) and log every bite.
    Also, I'd recommend a more strength building approach to your training as a beginner (so fewer reps with more weight). Three to five sets of 4 to 8 reps (struggling to complete the last reps of your final sets) would be better for a beginner than the high volume approach you're using.