crockpot roast recipe WITHOUT cream of mushroom?

Options
I'm low-carbing it and wondered if anyone had an amazing recipe they could share?? Also, any other low-carb crockpot favorites would be welcome!

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I make my crockpot roast using a carton of beef broth and water.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Same with me...I just add some broth and water with spices to mine. I've never even made one with cream of mushroom.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    try french onion soup or some other broth based soup ...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I get a four pound piece of chuck roast and put it in the crockpot with a sliced onion, a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix, a pound of sliced mushrooms, a can of low-sodium beef broth, and half a jar of banana pepper rings. I cook it on low for 8-10 hours and then shred it.

I don't do low carb, so I serve it on rolls with provolone cheese. But my dad, who has celiac disease and can't have any wheat, loves it plain with a potato and some kind of veggie.

It comes out awesome every time!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've done low sodium, fat free beef broth and french onion soup or lipton onion soup mix. Another idea is a little broth, onions, peppers, mushrooms, celery.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just made one a couple days ago that I really liked.

3 lb roast
    chopped onion
    6 oz tomato paste
    1 cup leftover brewed coffee
    1 chopped tomato
    2 bay leaves
    a little bit of water

Cooked on low for about 8 hours

I mixed about 1 cup of sour cream into the juices after it was done. It tasted similar to beef stroganoff, just without the noodles.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i use chicken stock and some tinned chopped tomatos.

plus i use lamb
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use soy sour cream to make cream type sauces without the dairy.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't use cream of mushroom in most of my crockpot recipes.

Here are some of the better ones that I've made:

Crockpot Chili:

Ground beef/turkey (I like 93/7 beef or 99/1 turkey)
    2 cans of beans, your choice (I like 1 can of black and 1 can of dark red kidney)
    1 whole onion, chopped
    1 large can of diced or crushed tomatoes
    1 packet of taco seasoning

Brown the ground beef/turkey in a pan first (I do it with a little bit of seasoned salt). Drain grease, add to crockpot. Add everything else to crockpot, stir well so that the taco seasoning is disbursed. Make sure NOT to drain the beans.

This one is great because everything in it is already cooked, so you can cook it for as long or as short of a time as you like.

Crockpot Pulled Chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breast
    Barbecue sauce

Put chicken in the bottom of the crockpot. Cover with bbq sauce. When the chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred it, and let cook a little bit longer if desired.

Quick, easy, and delicious. The better the bbq sauce, the better it will taste. I'm actually making this tonight!

Crockpot Minestrone Soup

2 cans of beef broth
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 onion, chopped
    2 small zucchini (or 1 large), diced
    2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 cup of cabbage, shredded (I think I'll actually use more than this next time I make it)
    2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (I used whole grain macaroni)
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Add everything except for the macaroni and parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 7-9. At the end of cooking, add cooked macaroni and shredded cheese, stir, and serve.

You can add or not add whichever veggies that you like. You could also add some ground beef or turkey to it if you wanted, just brown it first. Again, nothing to really "cook" so it can be done whenever. I also added the macaroni uncooked straight into the soup, it was overdone in 15 minutes so I'd say leave it for less time than that, lol. I think next time I make this, I might not rinse (or maybe even drain) the beans, as a lot of the flavor comes from the liquid.

Crockpot Meat Sauce

2 large cans diced or crushed tomatoes (or 1 of each, which is what I did)
    1 can tomato paste
    1.5 lbs. ground beef or turkey
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 medium carrot, chopped
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    1 whole onion, chopped

Brown the beef or turkey first, drain. I like to brown it with some seasoned salt at this point. Or, you could make it a basic marinara sauce and just not add any meat to it at all. Add everything to the crockpot. Again, nothing really needs to be fully cooked, so let it cook down to your preference and eat it whenever. I loved having the added veggies in there for some change in texture/flavor, and with the carrot, you don't need to add sugar, which is great. Add whatever seasoning/spices you like- I used garlic salt, garlic powder, and an Italian herb seasoning.

With the ones that don't really need to be fully cooked (i.e. no meat is going in there raw), you can open it to stir and taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste as you go. Remember, the crockpot really keeps all the liquid in there, so if there is too much, I'll sometimes put paper towels along the edges under the lid to catch some of the condensation so it isn't too liquid-y at the end. It really helps. What I love about a lot of these crockpot recipes is that you really get to control your fat intake with them. You don't need any oils or anything to cook things even, not even in the sauce (most Italian sauces use a TON of olive oil- my mother's has a whole layer of it on top of hers!), so it definitely helps to make things healthier, especially in regard to fats, lol.

:smile: Hope these help!
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses!!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When I do roasts, I just put in steak seasoning with some beef broth and water, and then put carrots, onions, potatoes, and garlic on top. Then I just put it on low for about 6 hours, and it's all good to go. I've never actually used cream of anything.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump