Low BMI, but still seeing fat... Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 65 lbs, there's also a possibility that some of what you're seeing is loose skin and will tighten up a bit over time. Strength training will of course help if you're looking to lower body fat percentage, but when you've lost a big chunk of weight like that things can look a little more wobbly than they might on someone who's only lost a few pounds or who's always maintained the same weight.
  • salbers23
    salbers23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research on this very question. Though the science is still a bit sketchy, the conclusion I reached after reviewing numerous studies is that two considerations need to be addressed for optimal health and longevity: optimal BMI around 19 and body composition of 12%-17% fat. I also did a forensic review of the accuracy of every body composition method and found them useless, including the supposed gold standard: underwater weighing, except for three technologies that delivered results accurate to 3% to 5%. Those three technologies are: Bod Pod, DEXA and Cat Scan. I recommend you avoid superficial judgements that you are making and get your body composition measured by one or more of the above methods. If it falls within my recommended range then you are golden as far as health and longevity goes. So any changes you decide to make would by purely cosmetic and possibly counter productive. If you fall outside my recommended range on the high side then you should hire a fitness counselor to guide you through converting your excess fat to muscle while maintaining the same weight.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    salbers23 wrote: »
    I did a lot of research on this very question. Though the science is still a bit sketchy, the conclusion I reached after reviewing numerous studies is that two considerations need to be addressed for optimal health and longevity: optimal BMI around 19 and body composition of 12%-17% fat. I also did a forensic review of the accuracy of every body composition method and found them useless, including the supposed gold standard: underwater weighing, except for three technologies that delivered results accurate to 3% to 5%. Those three technologies are: Bod Pod, DEXA and Cat Scan. I recommend you avoid superficial judgements that you are making and get your body composition measured by one or more of the above methods. If it falls within my recommended range then you are golden as far as health and longevity goes. So any changes you decide to make would by purely cosmetic and possibly counter productive. If you fall outside my recommended range on the high side then you should hire a fitness counselor to guide you through converting your excess fat to muscle while maintaining the same weight.

12-17% for women??? No!
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help! :smiley:

And @herbivorinator Add me! Sounds like we are on the same journey with our health :wink:

@Hornsby @engodwin @I_Will_End_You - I'm looking at Strong Lifts now and I think it might be just right for me! Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

That is total bunkum

Your conclusion of an optimal BMI is wrong ,,,there is an optimal BMI range for population based health factors (20-25) and acceptable (18.5-25) and for Asians (18.5 -23) ...

Height, frame, genetics, musculature, water weight determines your ideal scale weight as an individual

12-17% fat for who? Male or female? What age? 10-13% is essential body fat for women ...17% fat is quite a lot for men

6rt7u8d73tv4.jpeg
    59ro04p7mjxs.jpeg

bh5doxtyjgwa.jpeg

You need to go back to your research and not spread this with a voice of authority ...it's patently wrong
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Besides the rest of the paragraph that is full of holes, excess fat is NEVER converted to muscle...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That is total bunkum

Your conclusion of an optimal BMI is wrong ,,,there is an optimal BMI range for population based health factors (20-25) and acceptable (18.5-25) and for Asians (18.5 -23) ...

Height, frame, genetics, musculature, water weight determines your ideal scale weight as an individual

12-17% fat for who? Male or female? What age? 10-13% is essential body fat for women ...17% fat is quite a lot for men

6rt7u8d73tv4.jpeg
    59ro04p7mjxs.jpeg

bh5doxtyjgwa.jpeg

You need to go back to your research and not spread this with a voice of authority ...it's patently wrong

Girls can be ripped but I can't :( because 12-17%. I'm sad now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That is total bunkum

6rt7u8d73tv4.jpeg
    59ro04p7mjxs.jpeg

bh5doxtyjgwa.jpeg

Girls can be ripped but I can't :( because 12-17%. I'm sad now.

Yes Hornsby you need to put on a layer of fat to be more optimal :bigsmile:

#dontyoudare
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    And @herbivorinator Add me! Sounds like we are on the same journey with our health :wink:

Yeah, I've shuffle between 18.5-19ish on BMI on any given day. But I do not have the stomach that I'd love - some squish sits on top. No boobs or butt though cause apparently I store what little squish I have like a guy - curses! Not saying I'm fat or need to lose weight by any means. But I'm sure some muscle would serve me well in terms of health and self esteem.
    Thanks for all the advice and input on this guys. It's been a useful read.