Having trouble getting enough potassium

Options
Even with a green drink, a bannana and a multi vitamin every day; I never even come close to the potassium requirement. Any tricks to this? Favourite supplement or high potasssium food?

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    White beans, spinach, dried apricots, yogurt, salmon, white mushrooms and avacados!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    KrishnaKrolczyk Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just noticed dairy is high and i am allergic to milk. Those are some good suggestions! Thanks!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    Maybe I will start putting spinach in my green drink!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I rarely hit my potassium goal. But not all food entries are complete. Food entries are user based. Unless they actually take the time to enter every macro and micro they won't always be complete. If you're eating a wide range of foods you're most likely getting enough potassium.

I perfect logging potassium day for me would include mushrooms, spinach, avocado, salmon, banana, and almonds.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet but I crave salt, so I've started using this:

Vvua80D.jpg

It's made from potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Just a caution, though; don't use this product (or try to increase your potassium, for that matter) if you have any kidney impairment.
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    My kidneys are good to go! I think all my electrolytes might be too low.
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    Thanks!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    potatoes
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, probably getting more than you think, as a previous poster said, it's not always included in the nutritional info. If you poke around in the database when logging foods, you can usually find the ones that include all the info, including potassium, but even then, there are some that are missing.

Tomatoes, beans, bananas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peppers, dairy, meats, even coffee and tea have potassium.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is a salt substitute that is potassium based.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I never come even close to hitting the recommended daily level, but my potassium level has been fine in my blood work. Unless you are actually deficient, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options
    I am a dancer and I used to wonder too because potassium is crucial for preventing cramps, so I met with a dietician and she recommended coconut water. She said it has even more potassium than bananas!