Is running for everyone?

Options

Replies

• jason58761
    jason58761 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    6"1", 190#. I have 2 Morton's foot, had a Neuroma taken from my left foot from overuse on the job 15 years ago, gnarly varicose veins on both legs that make them feel heavy, and also multiple plantar fibromas on both feet. I work 12 hours a day on my feet sometimes up to 84 hours a week plus a second job also on the feet. I did run a bit in 2014, but for me probably better exercises to choose from. Not that it can't be done. If I lost another 20 pounds, then that could go a bit of a way in offsetnig the above mentioned stuff. But if I really wanted to run I of course could. Did I feel better in my overall body when I did run 1.5 years ago? Yes
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Basically anyone can run or learn to run...but not everyone is going to excel at it nor is everyone going to enjoy it...

I've never been a good distance runner at all...even when I was in the military and had to run all the time, I was always at the end of the pack on my PFT. Sprinting on the other hand...well, at one point in time and for a brief moment in time I was actually ranked third in my state in the 100M.

I'm a good sprinter and can blow the doors off...but I suck at distance running and also hate it...which is why I generally cycle and do sprint intervals to cross train.

My soul brother right here...400m is 350m too far!!! :wink:
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    No, not everyone can be a runner, but a lot of us who never thought of ourselves as runners can do it. I'm still a novice but I have been using the C25k program with good success so far (I "finished" it, but wasn't anywhere near to running 5k), on the treadmill. As the weather improves, I'm going to restart at week 1 outside and see if I can learn to run uphill (unavoidable without driving somewhere to run) without giving up and walking. Plus, I'm going to use the rundouble app, rather than the ZenLabs app, because it will go by distance, not just by time, so that by the time I get to the end of the program, I'll really be running 5K. I'm 59 years old, I've never been even a little bit athletic, still fall into the "obese" range, and have never run for even a few minutes at a time before, but I have been exercising in other ways (Zumba, walking) nearly every day for the last 3 years.

On the other hand, my sister has always been athletic, but has never been a runner. She had undiagnosed (and untreated, obviously) scoliosis as a kid, and then did things like play rugby and soccer for years until her back pain forced her to quit. She's also got bad knees (probably runs in the family - mine aren't so good either and our mom has had both replaced) and about a decade ago had a botched back surgery that gave her permanent nerve damage. Running is not in her future.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love running and have been doing it for the last 8 years. However I'm not the best or the fastest at it, I don't seem to be built for running fast, but I enjoy it and have got up to running 10k. Any further and it gets boring for me. Early days I used to suffer with a lot of injuries and shin splints, but over time of running regularly, my body has got used to it and I rarely get running related injuries (though I shouldn't say that as I'll have jinxed it now!)
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes?

The first question the Tarahumara/Raramuri tribes ask themself before taking up running.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Humans have evolved to run - it's part of what we are.

Some people, because of disability for example, may not be able to run but, others may be capable of running but choose not to.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The trick is to start and progress as slowly and as comfortably as you can. I got the desire to start running when I was class III obese, so needless to say even C25K was too much for me. I used a different program to get me started. At the very end of an 8 week program I built up to running a continuous 15 seconds. (You can download it for free here).

After that I used the last week as a guide, and kept adding 5 seconds of running every week until I worked up to 30 seconds. I then switched to this program (the first part) then at week 7 decided to transition to this one for better variety and tweak it to my needs (used the same miles listed but in kilometers, for example if a run says 5 miles I would do 5 kilometers). I never ended up doing the C25K program, but I am now able to run continuously for 30-40 minutes even though I'm still obese. I had to repeat a few weeks before progressing to the next, and I had to slow down to the point where I could walk faster than I ran, but it was all worth it. If you have an Android, Impetus is an amazing free app that would help you set up any interval program you wish with a high level of sophistication and personalization.

Yes progression was slow, but not once did I have shin splints or any out of the ordinary knee pain. I did injure my achilles on a very hilly hike, but that's a story for a different thread and had nothing to do with running.

Basically, bar medical and structural conditions, everyone can run. Does everyone WANT to run or enjoys running? No. In this case you really don't have to. There are plenty of other ways to burn calories. But if you do want to run and feel like you would enjoy it, doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, with slow and gradual progression you WILL get there if you set your mind to it.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes?

The first question the Tarahumara/Raramuri tribes ask themself before taking up running.

hahaha :)
    Excellent.

Also, yes running is for everyone. We evolved to be able to run, it's something that every single human being is designed to do. Whether you enjoy it or not is a different question. But if you start and get fitter, the aches and pains will reduce (unless you have medical conditions) and you will get better at it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Many people can learn to run, but it's not necessary if you either don't like to do it, or have physical issues that would make it difficult to do so.

There is no inherent reason to take up running if you don't want to, but there is no automatic disqualifying reason if you do.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Is running for everyone? No.

I've got arthritis in one foot, and I burned the other foot to the bone a few years ago. The scar tissue has created a limited ability to bend that foot.

So ... I tend to lumber awkwardly.

However, just recently I seem to have a bit more mobility and I have managed to do something like a run for about 500 metres.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to run, don't

there are many other appropriate cardio workouts you may enjoy more

Running is not emotionally for everyone, for those who want to but experience pains it can be a matter of building the right musculature through a progressive programme, for those who want to but experience significant pains there may be a physical reason that might be worth getting checked out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Since you have decided to try it - this might help - I find that running becomes an exercise I appreciate once I've passed a certain capacity level - then the *magic happens*.

For me, it only becomes a sport I truly appreciate once I'm running 8 km or more. I need to build up to a level of 25-30 km a week and then the *suck* doesn't quite kill me so much.

The first month is not so much fun. Give it time and then, if you still find it awful, there are a lot of other activities.
  • janivl
    janivl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that my body just wasn't built for running. My knees instantly ache, along with my shins. I've heard people say this is just something you eventually work through, but I guess I've never been very willing to try.

Today I downloaded that couch to 5k app, and I am going to give it my best shot. Has anyone used this app? Did you used to be horrible at running and now it's become way easier? Let me know your thoughts!

You'll get used to it.

I started running 9 months ago. I couldn't run for 5 minutes without needing to catch my breath and the days after I went running my shins, knees and calves were yelling for me to stop.

Now I run 40-50 minutes at a moderate pace comfortably. My legs still ache the day after running but by evening this is mostly gone. I run every other day now, haven't had an injury yet, and it feels great to progress.

I hated running, now I love it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't. My foot is a mess (it's congenital, so it isn't a mess from running). I used to run, and running eventually just bothered my foot too much. I switched my focus onto lifting, and my foot is much better. I still run short intervals and walking is fine. Maybe you can find a form of exercise that is a better fit.
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm built for comfort, not for speed. But having said that, like so many other posters on this thread, I did a c25k two years ago, and found that I love, love, love long slow (slow!) runs. The freedom of spending a couple of hours just on me, and seeing some beautiful nature at the same time. And once my body got used to it, it wasn't too hard. So while running may not be for everbody, there are a lot of great experiences to be had in running.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The reason I started running - it's incredibly convenient (I can get up at 6, be out the door by 10 past), easy to do whilst on holiday (in fact great to go whilst on holiday), can get a good or easy workout depending on time and energy level (fast, slow, hilly, flat, intervals etc). The reason I keep doing it? All the above plus that childlike feeling of flying I get sometimes when it feels actually easy! I'm heavy and slow and furthest I've done is only 9miles to date, but it's still amazing.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    The trick is to start and progress as slowly and as comfortably as you can. I got the desire to start running when I was class III obese, so needless to say even C25K was too much for me. I used a different program to get me started. At the very end of an 8 week program I built up to running a continuous 15 seconds. (You can download it for free here).

After that I used the last week as a guide, and kept adding 5 seconds of running every week until I worked up to 30 seconds. I then switched to this program (the first part) then at week 7 decided to transition to this one for better variety and tweak it to my needs (used the same miles listed but in kilometers, for example if a run says 5 miles I would do 5 kilometers). I never ended up doing the C25K program, but I am now able to run continuously for 30-40 minutes even though I'm still obese. I had to repeat a few weeks before progressing to the next, and I had to slow down to the point where I could walk faster than I ran, but it was all worth it. If you have an Android, Impetus is an amazing free app that would help you set up any interval program you wish with a high level of sophistication and personalization.

Yes progression was slow, but not once did I have shin splints or any out of the ordinary knee pain. I did injure my achilles on a very hilly hike, but that's a story for a different thread and had nothing to do with running.

Basically, bar medical and structural conditions, everyone can run. Does everyone WANT to run or enjoys running? No. In this case you really don't have to. There are plenty of other ways to burn calories. But if you do want to run and feel like you would enjoy it, doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, with slow and gradual progression you WILL get there if you set your mind to it.

Those look like some really awesome resources, thanks for sharing that!!! I started running while I was (and I still am) in the first class of obesity. But I did it badly, with no real concept of easing into things, and gave myself some sort of knee injury (it took 2 years and 2 different professionals to get it mostly better and I still don't really know what it was exactly). At 5'2" and about 190lbs, with a quite small frame I think my body just doesn't deal well with all of the extra weight on my joints, especially having very weak muscles from being so inactive. I wouldn't exercise for 2 or 3 weeks solid, then I would jog on hills without any stretching for 30-45minutes, pushing myself until I couldn't run any more, and walking until I caught my breath, then sprinting again. Then I'd sit around very inactive for another month or so until inspiration struck again. But I did like running. I'd like to get back to it, the right way, through some sort of progression like this, and hopefully not injure myself again :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @kae612 I'm glad you found these useful. The very first program is meant to be pure conditioning, to prepare the muscles and the nervous system for running, so skipping weeks or adding time/distance is strongly discouraged. For people who are even worse fitness-wise than I was, people who don't even walk, it's meant to be used for walking. On run/walk segments walkers would alternate between walking slow and walking fast. Consistency is very important though.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @kae612 I'm glad you found these useful. The very first program is meant to be pure conditioning, to prepare the muscles and the nervous system for running, so skipping weeks or adding time/distance is strongly discouraged. For people who are even worse fitness-wise than I was, people who don't even walk, it's meant to be used for walking. On run/walk segments walkers would alternate between walking slow and walking fast. Consistency is very important though.

Tbh I've printed them out and I think once the weather is a bit less slushy I'll give that one a shot. I enjoy walking, so it seems like a good place to start. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As upthread, some people have biomechanical issues or previous injuries that preclude running. Anyone else has the potential to run, it's just a question of working up to it.

That said, as with any activity not everyone enjoys it. Much depends on what you want from it. For me, an hour or ninety minutes is good in the evening to reset my mind after work. I don't get that from other activities.