Eggplant - How do people eat it?

Options
I have had it in Eggplant Parm - but that is fried and in my pre diet days. I have also had Baba Ganoush and loved it - but probably liked the bread more that the actual eggplant dip...

I would love some ideas from you all on how to cook with eggplant to enjoy this vegetable.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, every time it was served to me it seemed like a big greasy, soggy mess. But i now make fries out of it:

Slice up into long strips (ideally wedges so each piece gets a bit of skin).
    place on a plate and sprinkle with salt.
    leave it for 15 mins and then pat off the moisture with paper towels.
    Put them in a roasting dish/pan, glug over about 20g of olive oil, sprinkle over a tbsp of cornmeal and bake at medium temp for about 40 mins (turn a few times during cooking).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have made eggplant zucchini lasagna OMG it is delicious!
    http://paleogrubs.com/zucchini-lasagna-recipe

there are also eggplant parm one's but I haven't tried any of those.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Slice and bake with Italian seasonings (or any seasoning you prefer) on a baking sheet in a 425 degree oven for 15 min. Flip them and bake another 10 min. I spray the pan and the eggplant with Pam, but want to get one of those olive oil sprayers.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I almost always make eggplant parmesan and i don't bread and fry it.

Instead I cut inch thick slices, salt lightly and bake on parchment until just tender. Then top with some homemade marinara (store bought is ridiculously sweet and sugary and absolutely disgusting and I'm sure more calories), then top either with some mozzarella that I shred myself or small slices of fresh mozzarella - amazing stuff! Then bake until cheese is melty. I don't even eat it with pasta anymore because I'd rather have more yummy slices of eggplant.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eggplant is my new favorite veggie. And I wouldn't touch it before.
    I almost always make eggplant parmesan and i don't bread and fry it.

Instead I cut inch thick slices, salt lightly and bake on parchment until just tender. Then top with some homemade marinara (store bought is ridiculously sweet and sugary and absolutely disgusting and I'm sure more calories), then top either with some mozzarella that I shred myself or small slices of fresh mozzarella - amazing stuff! Then bake until cheese is melty. I don't even eat it with pasta anymore because I'd rather have more yummy slices of eggplant.

I made something similar on Monday. I did add a 1/2 lb of ground beef and a pkg of frozen spinach to my pasta sauce to "beef" it up. I love the texture of meat so that helped make everything more yummy to me. I also skipped salting the eggplant (to reduce sodium) - just chopped it up into small chunks and mixed it up with my pasta sauce (treated it like pasta), topped with mozzarella and parmesan and baked it for 30 mins. SO yummy. I built the recipe and a double sized portion was about 500+ calories and insanely filling (I was actually groaning later lol). Basically modified Skinnytaste's Baked Ziti with eggplant chunks instead of pasta.

I've also been making Skinnytaste's zucchini lasagna - and adding eggplant. I find the eggplant absorbs the extra moisture from the zucchini so I don't have to worry about drying out the zucchini or whatever. it's pretty similar the the paleo recipe posted above, with less variety of veggies. Also very filling and very low cal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I salt and season with the eggplant Italian seasoning (no salt) and cooked it on my George Foreman grill. It is quick easy way to make it.
  • rsngmn
    rsngmn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You may try this recipe, i suggest you to roast the eggplants instead of frying, and you may also add some lean ground beef to increase the protein content...

http://www.food.com/recipe/imam-bayildi-a-stuffed-eggplant-recipe-from-asia-minor-84776
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I made it twice last week - both times I sliced it thin, added some olive oil and baked it. The first day I sprinkled the top with some bread crumbs and Parmesan. The other day I only used spices.

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2014/07/15/eggplant-chips/

I can't find the other recipe again - I really wish I could because I'd like to make it again! I've searched and searched for it - guess I should have saved it!

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Grilled works beautifully and makes it nice and smoky.

I agree with the folks above that make baked eggplant parm. Personally I prefer it to fried because the fried version often ends up oily and/or soggy. Look for recipes like this: servingupfortcollins.com/eggplant-parmesan-rollatini-transport-yourself-to-old-world-italy/

Look up baba ganoush, too - very tasty. Like hummus, makes a great dip but about as high in calories thanks to the olive oil added.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My meat and potatoes guy will eat this if it is sliced, breaded, baked, and covered in spaghetti sauce. I may alternate slices of eggplant with zucchini.

My revelation is that eggplant is much tastier fresh from the vine and prepared the same day. Is it our dry northern air here?
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I slice it thin, soak for a couple hours, drain and pat dry, dip in egg and then in quinoa flakes mixed with Italian seasoning then toss in a cast iron skillet that's been rubbed down with oil but don't deep fry. Cook till crispy then serve topped with marinara and loads of veggies on the side.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's actually one of the very few foods that I've never had a taste for...I like most things and don't really have much in the way of texture issues with most foods...but egg plant gets me every time...can't do it.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rsngmn wrote: »
    You may try this recipe, i suggest you to roast the eggplants instead of frying, and you may also add some lean ground beef to increase the protein content...

http://www.food.com/recipe/imam-bayildi-a-stuffed-eggplant-recipe-from-asia-minor-84776

Mmmm...looks super yum! Added it to my recipe notebook on Evernote!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe and sometimes add tomato http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/trenette-with-eggplant-and-basil-pesto-recipe.html It's not the lowest calorie, but it's easy, tastes great, and makes a ton so my husband and I can eat it for several dinners that week.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I cube, saute and stick in tomato based dishes like spaghetti sauce. It takes on the flavors of everything else, so it's great way to add veggies.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Cut it into slices approx 1/4" thick then dress it with olive oil. Sprinkle salt/pepper to taste then grill it on the bbq. Crunchy and chewy
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Baba ganoush. Roast w olive oil, s & p. Then puree with garlic, more olive oil, s&p, and tahini. I eat it straight up or as a veggie dip. Yum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Ok this looks tasty! I'll have to try it.

I cook it in ratatouille (I just throw a few tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onions, and a bit of garlic in the crockpot and let cook for 8 hours) and I did a kind lasagna with it once. I just browned some ground beef with onions and garlic, added some tomato sauce, then layered it with slices of eggplant and shredded cheese (I guess you could add ricotta too, or feta if you want it Greek style). Then baked for 20 minutes or so (it's been a while).

Really should do it again, it's tasty!

Will follow this thread for ideas!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Fish fragrant Sichuan style!

Ok no fish, that is just the taste style. Essentially it is a combination of Sichuan broad bean paste (pixian is the most common), black vinegar, sugar, chilli oil, ginger, garlic and of course Sichuan pepper corn for the numbing effect. Ideally you deep fry the egg plant briefly...we do.

Check out Fuschia Dunlop's cook books....love them.