• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Multipacks have smaller portions in them than family sized share bags

Buy those instead

Then you have to actually open a new bag to eat over servings allowance

Weigh stuff in the kitchen and put it on a plate then eat in another room so if you want more you have to go get it and weigh it out again

Log everything before eating

Stop being a victim in your own life...the only thing to blame for overeating is you ..it's not uncontrollable emotions, seasons, friends, social life..it's you ...quit the excuses...move more to eat more and stop eating when you run out of calories.

Hunger is an emotion for some people it seems

Oh and merry Christmas

Maybe, but for most people it's just hunger. Getting macro ratios together really helps a lot of people.

Yup, I'm only hungry right before meals now that I've increased my protein in relationship to carbs. (I'm 40:30:30)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Ugh, my willpower is awful though. Is there some way I can build it up?

Cognitive behavioral techniques I learned when I drank too much also help me with food, mostly Addictive Voice Recognition Technique - recognizing that voice trying to lead me astray for what it is helps me ignore it.
  • laurabolt500
    laurabolt500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The first 3 weeks I was doing myfitnesspal, I ate only frozen prepackaged meals (like leancuisine or healthychoice) so I would get used to the portion size I should be eating, and wouldn't go over my calorie goal. After about three weeks of what I originally thought were small meals, once I started adding normal foods back into my diet, I would be hungry enough for only a lean cuisine sized portion.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cognitive behavioral techniques I learned when I drank too much also help me with food, mostly Addictive Voice Recognition Technique - recognizing that voice trying to lead me astray for what it is helps me ignore it.

@kshama2001 You haven't used CBT with sweet treats (IIRC?)?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Sure, used it last week a lot! This is not to say I didn't have treats - I did, but I logged them all and did not have as many as I would have.

I also had a major, roaring craving for the first time in a really long time, recognized the Addictive Voice for what it was, and didn't give in.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Sure, used it last week a lot! This is not to say I didn't have treats - I did, but I logged them all and did not have as many as I would have.

I also had a major, roaring craving for the first time in a really long time, recognized the Addictive Voice for what it was, and didn't give in.

@kshama2001 Excellent, I think!

What was the craving for? Could you have made room for a moderate amount?
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've come back and re-read this thread a few times because although doing better, I still struggle with this. I've come to see what you mean when you say it's just about excuses. Any time my brain is coming up with some reason (beyond perhaps actual physical hunger) why I should eat a bigger portion than planned, it's just an excuse. I have to stop accepting excuses. Lately since using MFP, for example, my brain tries to come up with excuses like, "Oh, you should go ahead and eat a little bit more ... you can just eat less later. It's all calories-in-calories-out, so it doesn't really matter if you eat them now, or then .... " Although that's technically correct (and may work for some), for me this is a disastrous excuse that sets me up for failure. I overeat at one meal, then feel deprived when I have fewer calories later for dinner. And then I'm more likely to eat over my calorie goal. I'm trying to train myself to not overeat, even if I can come up for some rationale why I can "make the calories work" later.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at managing my portions and exercising moderation. When I've lost weight in the past, it's been because I change my diet so I'm eating a lot of very low calorie foods (like veggies), but my portions are still huge, and I eat until I'm overfull. How can I learn to eat appropriate portions? My problem is that it's hard for me to stop eating when comfortably full. I keep picking at leftover food or will go wander into the kitchen for a few more bites, and if I'm at a restaurant I eat every thing on my plate, and will continue snacking on leftover appetizers or bread until we go. How do I stop when I've had just enough?

Your diet is awesome! I just checked out your diary.
    I have a suggestion, you don't eat a lot of fruit, and your diet is low in sugar, but try this for three days:
    For three days, instead of tracking sodium, track sugar. Omit added sugar and omit fruit from your diet, and keep your sugar intake to 15g or less.
    This is supposed to "reset" the hormones of appetite, leptin/ghrelin, and it only takes 3 days. Fructose in particular stimulates appetite.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I measure out portions and then put the leftovers away and have a plan for them (for example, I might put them into lunch containers, so am eating my lunch if I eat them). Really, I've found if I trust to the portion I'm fine -- I never want more. I also do eat large servings of vegetables to fill out my plate, but I also have reasonable servings of the meat and starch. I just don't allow myself to consider getting more or having seconds as an option. Doing this it was pretty easy to change my understanding of the things I had distorted ideas about.

Restaurants can be harder, but I decide before I start eating what a proper serving is and then eat that amount. If possible I will plan to take home the extra.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    I've come back and re-read this thread a few times because although doing better, I still struggle with this. I've come to see what you mean when you say it's just about excuses. Any time my brain is coming up with some reason (beyond perhaps actual physical hunger) why I should eat a bigger portion than planned, it's just an excuse. I have to stop accepting excuses. Lately since using MFP, for example, my brain tries to come up with excuses like, "Oh, you should go ahead and eat a little bit more ... you can just eat less later. It's all calories-in-calories-out, so it doesn't really matter if you eat them now, or then .... " Although that's technically correct (and may work for some), for me this is a disastrous excuse that sets me up for failure. I overeat at one meal, then feel deprived when I have fewer calories later for dinner. And then I'm more likely to eat over my calorie goal. I'm trying to train myself to not overeat, even if I can come up for some rationale why I can "make the calories work" later.

It's not all about bootstraps and self-control, for sure. See my comment above.
    Also, looking again at your diary, your carbs are pretty high. I looked at your exercise diary for today, is it usual for you to have high carbs even when you don't exercise a lot? I'd also suggest you drop your carbs down. It doesn't feel comfortable to drop carbs for the first few days, but your body will adjust after that. If you drop carbs, this means protein and fat will increase....use lentils/beans instead of brown rice. Use chia/flax for fiber. The increased fat intake won't hinder bodyfat loss.
  • Spaceman6010
    Spaceman6010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies like broccoli, cauliflower. The calories are negligible and it actually still filling. Drink water before eating.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good topic. The only thing I've found that works is telling myself over and over "No food tastes as good as weight loss feels!" Repeated ad nauseum.

Have had to retrain myself not to hoover up the leftover's on the kid's plate (we try really hard to not waste food as a family), and to take smaller portions to start with, and completely refrain from getting seconds.

Hope you find a system that works for you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at managing my portions and exercising moderation. When I've lost weight in the past, it's been because I change my diet so I'm eating a lot of very low calorie foods (like veggies), but my portions are still huge, and I eat until I'm overfull. How can I learn to eat appropriate portions? My problem is that it's hard for me to stop eating when comfortably full. I keep picking at leftover food or will go wander into the kitchen for a few more bites, and if I'm at a restaurant I eat every thing on my plate, and will continue snacking on leftover appetizers or bread until we go. How do I stop when I've had just enough?

I have a suggestion, you don't eat a lot of fruit, and your diet is low in sugar, but try this for three days:
    For three days, instead of tracking sodium, track sugar. Omit added sugar and omit fruit from your diet, and keep your sugar intake to 15g or less.
    This is supposed to "reset" the hormones of appetite, leptin/ghrelin, and it only takes 3 days. Fructose in particular stimulates appetite.

That is not how it works

In fact leptin is carb responsive eg increases with carb loading

Some do refeeds to restore levels of leptin after long term defecit ...weeks at maintenance
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That is not how it works

In fact leptin is carb responsive eg increases with carb loading

Some do refeeds to restore levels of leptin after long term defecit ...weeks at maintenance
    Have you read the original thread question? She's not asking about carb loading. It's about appetite. That's the question I'm answering.
    It worked for me.
    You can manipulate carbs (or any of the macros) according to your own body's needs or personal goals.
  • kshama2001
    Options

@kshama2001 Excellent, I think!

What was the craving for? Could you have made room for a moderate amount?

Sorry, just seeing this now and do not remember what the craving was for. I'm sure I had the calories to make room for a moderate amount, but when it's the Addictive Voice wanting it, it's better to just not give in. "I can have a little" is true, but it can also be a Sabotaging Thought.

I have plenty of treats, but I have them when I'm in control.