Cheap, Healthy Grocery Foods!

Options

Replies

• shannont70
    shannont70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have so been wondering too what "bump" is.......thought i was getting really old
  • angelblue510
    Options
    Wow! You guys rock thank you so much for all your tips and tricks!! :]
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on it, but since we're feeding a family of seven, it's pretty high on my list of priorities!

Helpful is looking for in season produce, it's usually cheaper. Farmer's markets can be awesome for getting produce - if you go early there is better selection, but when it's close to closing up time is when they often slash the prices. (Not saying you should try to undercut local farmers!) Also, depending on where you live, there might be PYO (pick your own) orchards and such -- at various times of year here, you can go and pay a nominal fee, and you get to keep what you pick and can carry out. Apples, peaches, blueberries, and strawberries are some examples. Look for sales too - recently bananas were 29 cents a pound, so I bought a lot and froze some of them for smoothies.

Also, as much as possible, make your own stuff. For instance, prepackaged salad might be $6. If we were to get the romaine, etc. ourselves, we could either save a fortune OR make a lot more salad than we do. (This is one I have a hard time with, it's my personal challenge to myself for next week.) If you make your own beans (from dried) you save over buying canned (pluse you have more control over things like sodium.) Little things like that add up.

It is hard when a box of mac and cheese is 40 cents.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say!
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    Bump = puts the post in your "My Topics" so you can come back and respond later or read what others respond.

Ooooo, I DO have an ALDI, but I had never been before thanks!

And sales, duh! Thanks!! :]

No, I'm not sure what a good box food is...

im still wondering what bump is. ive seen it so many times,lol. i thought i was gonna get the answer on ur post, guess not,lol.
  • dc10209
    dc10209 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Aldi, definitely! They have the BEST produce. It's cheap and also a lot fresher than any of the other stores. The meat is also a great price! For foods to eat; lean meat, veggies, fruit, cottage cheese, fat free yogurt/greek yogurt are all good choices. Just try to stay away from processed food and pre-packaged food that is easy to throw in the microwave when you are hungry... they make your grocery bill higher and they are not good for you!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Beans: Great for protein & fiber and they're CHEAP! I know one can't live on beans alone, but they are a must for someone eating healthy and on the cheap.
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    Bump is what people do to bring a topic to the top to get more replies
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals a week in advance and make your grocery list from that. Go to your farmers market and stock up on fruits and veggies. I buy a lot of fruits and veggies and freeze them
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Aldi's is wonderful. You don't pay for the name brand. Also, dried beans and legumes, brown rice, rolled oats, quinoa, and barley are really good for you, and cheap. Buy frozen veggies and a whole chicken and make several batches of soup. Eggs, tofu, and whole grains have lots of good protein but aren't as expensive as meat and cheeses. And we're just at the beginning of farmers markets- the MOST WONDERFUL place to buy produce. It may be a little more expensive than a grocery store (or maybe not, depends on where you are) but the produce will last longer, taste better, and be healthier (both in vitamins/minerals and in their lack of chemicals)
  • amydray
    amydray Posts: 26
    Options
    farmers markets, or even try your local food bank!

good luck! it can be tough.

:flowerforyou:
  • kremsergirl
    Options
    I have a local Sprouts store, which is pretty much a glorified farmers market. I love it!!! I usually buy all my groceries at Wal-Mart, except my produce, and then head to Sprouts to get fresh fruits and veggies. I got a seedless watermelon there-2 pounds for less than $2!!! I've compared their prices with Wal-Mart and they are at least half the price on almost all their produce, plus Sprouts produce is a lot fresher than Wal-Mart.
  • cathyg18
    cathyg18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RoshadReid
    RoshadReid Posts: 24
    Options
    What is bump?

Bump means move this to the top of the forums because it is an important subject.
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bulk chicken breast
    Hearty, filling veggies---Spaghetti Squash, ANY squash, really. Green-leaf veggies

I find the cheapest stuff to buy is in fact usually the healthier stuff--as long as youre willing to make the effort to cook a little bit.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    SPROUTS! A couple of weeks ago they had ANY size watermelon, honeydew or cantaloup for 99 cents. And I still havent seen watermelon over 20 cents a pound there since its been in season. Their produce is rediculously cheap compared to elsewhere around here AND fresher so it lasts longer.
    Rice, Buying bulk chicken when its .99-1.99 per lb and freezing it in individual bags (investing in a vacuum sealer is totally worth it) and that works for other meats as well. Beans. Cooking in large batches and freezing individual portions so you dont go out to eat or buy frozen dinners (even when they are on sale its typically more expensive then what youre cooking) Eggs! Im in Phoenix so a standard of living similar to your and every couple of weeks someone has eggs on sale for 99 cents a dozen. And eggs are good 3-5 weeks past the "sale by" date if you keep them refrigerated.

Im totally a sales shopper though, Ive found coupons are usually on the pre-packaged things I dont want so I buy fresh & on sale. I also shop produce weekly to prevent waste
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I will give my vote to Sprouts as well. I love it there! I always get my meat and produce there. The store is always really clean and the produce is wonderful! They have everything there and if there is one in your area I would definitely check it out.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This was my list! Also add to that frozen chicken breasts, a yoghurt maker and UHT milk (cheap in bulk) and you have the basis for a LOT of foods. eg:

Frozen fruit + yoghurt = smoothies.
    Rice + beans
    Beans, rice & peas
    Couscous with roasted vegetables
    Stir fried veg & tofu with rice
    Veggie strips with hummus (from chickpeas)
    Chicken breasts (frozen) with noodles/rice
    Tuna & tomato pasta

etc etc

I would say take care when you check the prices of dried beans vs canned. I have been surprised before here in Europe to find that canned beans can cost slightly less.

Bump is to move this up the board and to put it under "My Topics" to view later.

Cheap healthy foods:
    dried beans
    frozen fruits and vegetables
    brown rice
    canned tuna
    tofu
    bulk grains (steel cut oats, quinoa, etc.)
    last day fruits and veggies

I don't waste money on alot of processed foods.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    AshinAms- Wow.. your canned beans are cheaper? That is sooo crazy to me... our dried beans are 10 cups cooked for 99 cents, versus two cups cooked for 99 cents canned (still a bargain compared to other foods). I usually buy a bag of dried beans, soak them, and then cook them in the crockpot.... and then eat and eat and eat them during the week. :-) I make alot of bean pastas and bean salads.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Aldi's is great for their CHEAP fresh produce. Their frozen fish is also very good! I've had both the tilapia and the salmon.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the food ideas and shopping options. (BTW, I must figure out a way to get a "Sprouts" here!) Two suggestion that I would make I would add.

1. Make a menu. Doesn't have to be intricate.
    -Mon. Spaghetti
    -Tue. Fish

2. Make a grocery list using your menu as a shopping guide.
    -make sure to include all meals. I always eat canned tuna,or chicken. So each week I put a can on my list. My hubby loves fiber bars as his lunch so they go on it to.

This way you are only buying what you need for the week instead of hitting the store and trying to figure it all out. On the weeks when you have a little extra stock up on pantry items like whole wheat pasta, chicken stock, and dried beans. That way when you have a a week when you are short on cash you can just pick up what is really needed.