My 600# life

Options
I watch the show once in awhile my ? Is with the cost of food nowadays these people don't work how can they afford all that food???

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    They may be on disability because of their size? I'm not sure. I'm actually watching the new episode right now.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Food that is bad for you, is cheaper than foods that are good for you.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    A lot of time they have a working spouse/significant other.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

Debatable
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I disagree. I can prepare "healthy" meals way cheaper than fast food, etc
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes there spouse might work and there on disability but all that food has to be over 5 or 6 hundred a week easily
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yes there spouse might work and there on disability but all that food has to be over 5 or 6 hundred a week easily

Easily. I've wondered how they afford it before too.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.

I wanna shop were u shop
  • williams969
    Options

I wanna shop were u shop

Kroger and "99 cent" stores in Las Vegas. Aldi and Dollar Tree when I lived in Wisconsin. Store brand and generic everything. Scope out ethnic markets in your area for deals on rice, beans, and veggies.

Bruised produce, half off bakery and markdown meat. Hit up the market early in the morning for best selection (seriously, stop in before you head to work before housewives like me get the chance to clear the shelves, lol).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.
  • williams969
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.

Thanks for planning next week's dinner menu for me. ;)
  • cyberpunkme
    cyberpunkme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    will you all add me. that show has really helped me and i cant add friends since my last update. ><
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

I wanna shop were u shop

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I watch the show and wonder the same thing as well ... its a crazy amount of food.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    What about Sam's club or Costco? Those warehouses have great prices on foods. The food at McDonald's seems flavorless. In the city, drive-thru's are packed out. I don't get it! Love my 600-pound life! Dr. Now rocks!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Bags of fresh frozen vegetables are between 99 cents and $1.99 for store-brands where I live, depending on size. Canned vegetables can still be purchased for about 50 cents a can, again, when purchasing store brands/generics. Iceburg lettuce, carrots, and potatoes are all very cheap, as are rice and dry beans. And our grocery prices have come way down since Aldi's came to town, particularly fresh vegetables (and yogurt, wow, that's cheap at Aldi's!). I buy high-fiber pasta for $1.50/box but get it for $1 on sale. Regular pasta is $1. I buy meat in bulk at Sam's Club. It's not uncommon for my friends to share a single Sam's membership between several people.

Whole foods are a LOT cheaper than processed foods.

Now to address the original question: how do people afford the food to support super-obesity when coupled with disability? They spend money on food instead of other things. Its that simple.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've often wondered that as well. I imagine they are able to collect disability but even that is a meager existence. I also wonder if the show pays for the surgeries and those long hospital stays.
    I really do like that show. Before watching that show I always thought weight loss surgery was an easy way to lose weight. I was so wrong! It gave me a better understanding of what all they go through and just how much they have to change their lifestyles in order for the surgery to be successful.
    I work in health care and I often see people that don't do well after this surgery, those that have complications. I used to think why in the world would someone have such a dangerous surgery. That show has helped me understand some people wouldn't live long enough to lose enough weight before they died of complications of being overweight.
    I think it is an appropriate choice in some situations.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.

where in Canada do you live that a bag of vegetables is 8$ ??? I'm in the GTA and you can get a good size bag on sale regularly for 2.49...smaller bags for less...
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I thought last night's episode was the saddest story I've seen yet. It just broke my heart to see what had happened to such a vibrant, educated woman.