My 600# life

I watch the show once in awhile my ? Is with the cost of food nowadays these people don't work how can they afford all that food???

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    They may be on disability because of their size? I'm not sure. I'm actually watching the new episode right now.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Food that is bad for you, is cheaper than foods that are good for you.
  • A lot of time they have a working spouse/significant other.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member

Debatable
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

I disagree. I can prepare "healthy" meals way cheaper than fast food, etc
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Yes there spouse might work and there on disability but all that food has to be over 5 or 6 hundred a week easily
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Yes there spouse might work and there on disability but all that food has to be over 5 or 6 hundred a week easily

Easily. I've wondered how they afford it before too.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.

I wanna shop were u shop
  • williams969

I wanna shop were u shop

Kroger and "99 cent" stores in Las Vegas. Aldi and Dollar Tree when I lived in Wisconsin. Store brand and generic everything. Scope out ethnic markets in your area for deals on rice, beans, and veggies.

Bruised produce, half off bakery and markdown meat. Hit up the market early in the morning for best selection (seriously, stop in before you head to work before housewives like me get the chance to clear the shelves, lol).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.
  • williams969
    mkakids wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.

Thanks for planning next week's dinner menu for me. ;)
  • cyberpunkme
    cyberpunkme Posts: 44 Member
    will you all add me. that show has really helped me and i cant add friends since my last update. ><
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member

I wanna shop were u shop

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    I watch the show and wonder the same thing as well ... its a crazy amount of food.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    What about Sam's club or Costco? Those warehouses have great prices on foods. The food at McDonald's seems flavorless. In the city, drive-thru's are packed out. I don't get it! Love my 600-pound life! Dr. Now rocks!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Bags of fresh frozen vegetables are between 99 cents and $1.99 for store-brands where I live, depending on size. Canned vegetables can still be purchased for about 50 cents a can, again, when purchasing store brands/generics. Iceburg lettuce, carrots, and potatoes are all very cheap, as are rice and dry beans. And our grocery prices have come way down since Aldi's came to town, particularly fresh vegetables (and yogurt, wow, that's cheap at Aldi's!). I buy high-fiber pasta for $1.50/box but get it for $1 on sale. Regular pasta is $1. I buy meat in bulk at Sam's Club. It's not uncommon for my friends to share a single Sam's membership between several people.

Whole foods are a LOT cheaper than processed foods.

Now to address the original question: how do people afford the food to support super-obesity when coupled with disability? They spend money on food instead of other things. Its that simple.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Yeah, I've often wondered that as well. I imagine they are able to collect disability but even that is a meager existence. I also wonder if the show pays for the surgeries and those long hospital stays.
    I really do like that show. Before watching that show I always thought weight loss surgery was an easy way to lose weight. I was so wrong! It gave me a better understanding of what all they go through and just how much they have to change their lifestyles in order for the surgery to be successful.
    I work in health care and I often see people that don't do well after this surgery, those that have complications. I used to think why in the world would someone have such a dangerous surgery. That show has helped me understand some people wouldn't live long enough to lose enough weight before they died of complications of being overweight.
    I think it is an appropriate choice in some situations.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    kae612 wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.

where in Canada do you live that a bag of vegetables is 8$ ??? I'm in the GTA and you can get a good size bag on sale regularly for 2.49...smaller bags for less...
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I thought last night's episode was the saddest story I've seen yet. It just broke my heart to see what had happened to such a vibrant, educated woman.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    I've wondered the same thing about the cost of food, it must be astronomical. I work and make a decent living and would be unable to sustain long-term the kind of money these families must be spending on food. I've noticed on a lot of the episodes though that these people must just not be spending money on other things - things that I do spend money on. Many times their homes and cars are older and/or not in particularly good condition, clothing is not in good condition signaling that they don't spend much on clothing, etc. Not the case for every episode, but quite of a few of the episodes I've seen.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    A lot of these people likely get rent subsidies of some sort, or outright own their own houses, so they don't have to pay rent. They probably get some sort of utility subsidies also, so their bills are largely decreased. Apart from that, they really don't go out to do anything, so they don't really spend any money on entertainment. Add a whole team of enablers onto that who are willing to pay for everything, and you can definitely see how they can spend a couple grand per month on food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

I disagree. I can prepare "healthy" meals way cheaper than fast food, etc

I agree that cooking from scratch can be cheaper than buying fast food, but don't think it's a fair comparison. Foods with price supports and powerful trade organizations are cheaper than those without.

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/farmer-in-chief/

...It must be recognized that the current food system — characterized by monocultures of corn and soy in the field and cheap calories of fat, sugar and feedlot meat on the table — is not simply the product of the free market. Rather, it is the product of a specific set of government policies that sponsored a shift from solar (and human) energy on the farm to fossil-fuel energy.

...After World War II, the government encouraged the conversion of the munitions industry to fertilizer — ammonium nitrate being the main ingredient of both bombs and chemical fertilizer — and the conversion of nerve-gas research to pesticides. The government also began subsidizing commodity crops, paying farmers by the bushel for all the corn, soybeans, wheat and rice they could produce. One secretary of agriculture after another implored them to plant “fence row to fence row” and to “get big or get out.”

The chief result, especially after the Earl Butz years, was a flood of cheap grain that could be sold for substantially less than it cost farmers to grow because a government check helped make up the difference. As this artificially cheap grain worked its way up the food chain, it drove down the price of all the calories derived from that grain: the high-fructose corn syrup in the Coke, the soy oil in which the potatoes were fried, the meat and cheese in the burger.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Back to the OP they are more than likely on disability. And when there is a significant other they seem to be there all the time and they all move closer to the doctor, so I have wondered the same thing.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member

where in Canada do you live that a bag of vegetables is 8$ ??? I'm in the GTA and you can get a good size bag on sale regularly for 2.49...smaller bags for less...[/quote]

Everything is cheaper in Toronto because, as we all know, its the centre of the universe!!

I am about 265 east of you, and only a couple of weeks ago, cauliflower was $8 a head. The price of meat is enormous. The cheapest I have seen recently was a tray of chicken legs (about 12 legs) for $5. Remember, a lot of produce during the winter is shipped from the US to Canada, and the longer it has to travel, the more expensive it is - you would not believe the prices in the North - $8 for a litre of milk - no wonder so many are nutritionally disadvantaged there.

I recently read an article about child poverty and nutrition, and precarious food supply. It says that the children of folks who have precarious jobs will often feed their children what they know they like because they cant afford to try new things that the child may not eat or will spit out. (it takes several tries for a person to acquire a "taste" for new items, according to research). This often translates to processed and nutritionally questionable food, or fast food. It seems we are setting up a new generation of people for nutritionally related problems and obesity.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Yesterday I wanted to make a nice fruit salad; I bought blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, and red raspberries and the total came to $25. Owch. That's more than I spend on groceries weekly (I'm single). It was a good salad, but something I can't afford to do that often.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    I wish they would do a show on someone who doesn't do the weight loss surgery. I watched one last night and she lost 60 pounds in two months, prior to the surgery. She drastically changed her diet and it worked! After the surgery, her loss was about the same as before. I just wondered that with her awesome attitude, could she have done it all without the surgery? Even the surgeon said that the WLS is just a tool. She had a supportive husband and I really think she could have been successful without the surgery.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Even so, that's still a lot of food.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    kae612 wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

where in Canada do you live that a bag of vegetables is 8$ ??? I'm in the GTA and you can get a good size bag on sale regularly for 2.49...smaller bags for less...

I'm in the NWT and a 500g bag of no name frozen vegetables is about 3-4 dollars depending on the variety. More northern communities than where I live frozen vegetables cost that much.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Yesterday I wanted to make a nice fruit salad; I bought blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, and red raspberries and the total came to $25. Owch. That's more than I spend on groceries weekly (I'm single). It was a good salad, but something I can't afford to do that often.

Buy the fruits when they are in season. Right now, they are not. :smile: Personally, I grow the fruit during the summer and fall. I am adding more and more fruit to my garden. Take grapes. Usually they are 8 dollars for a pound.