Why Is This So Hard?

Options
AlanahBeez
AlanahBeez Posts: 60 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
I eat so well through out the day. Then either two things destroy me....I'm around my coworkers who eat nothing but fast food and candy, and then suddenly my salad doesn't sound so appealing anymore and I cave into what they're eating. OR I want to eat before I go to bed and it ends up being pizza and ice cream, not an apple or something instead :( any advice or suggestions would be awesome...?

Replies

• Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Let yourself eat the pizza every once and a while, and every time they have fast food imagine those disgusting pictures of how it looks the same 10 years later...do you want that plastic sitting in your stomach? Lol!! Don't be too hard on tori self- you look great!
  • efwww
    efwww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Discipline. I sound a bit harsh but it's the truth. Before you take that pizza and ice cream think about how you will regret it if you eat it
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    AlanahBeez wrote: »
    I eat so well through out the day. Then either two things destroy me....I'm around my coworkers who eat nothing but fast food and candy, and then suddenly my salad doesn't sound so appealing anymore and I cave into what they're eating. OR I want to eat before I go to bed and it ends up being pizza and ice cream, not an apple or something instead :( any advice or suggestions would be awesome...?

I have nothing.
    You are aware of whats going on.
    For lunch. You can say to your self, that burger is not going to help you.
    You can say I will die via car, but they will die via heart attack

for bed, have your self a bag of fun size M&M or a portion of cottage cheese with a bit of sugar.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It will be as hard as you make it. You can choose between a short term "diet" or a long term "lifestyle change". If you choose "diet", you'll end up doing it over and over, though :/ What do you mean by eating well? Do you WANT to eat salad? Don't have a too aggressive calorie deficit - 1200 is for old, tiny and inactive women. Plan your meals in a way that feels enjoyable to you. You can probably eat pizza OR ice cream, but not both the same day, or not every day.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's only hard when you think about it, in the moments that you don't, when you're distracted that is, is it still hard? you can do it!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Chenry18 wrote: »
    Let yourself eat the pizza every once and a while, and every time they have fast food imagine those disgusting pictures of how it looks the same 10 years later...do you want that plastic sitting in your stomach? Lol!! Don't be too hard on tori self- you look great!

Or eat the dfast food, just pre log it and make sure it fits your goals. If not adjust the remainder of your day so it does, or make different choices there.
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Options
    Milk or banana blended into milk before bed! Depending how hungry you are!

You must be the change - if a salad doesn't look good don't have just a boring salad. A baked potato with tuna; taco filling; prawn cocktail! All sorts of delicious things can be made to fit your dietary needs, which i find improves your eating habits because you learn more about things like
    • How much mayo you ACTUALLY need: Only just enough to coat the prawns in a prawn cocktail, and the tuna in a baked potato doesn't really need any at all in my opinion.
    • Vegetarian taco's are delicious or just leaner/less meat!
    • Cheese is more of a garnish/topping than a main part of the meal!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    efwww wrote: »
    Discipline. I sound a bit harsh but it's the truth. Before you take that pizza and ice cream think about how you will regret it if you eat it

This is how I do it. Think about how you will feel after you eat the pizza and fast food. Then think about how you will feel after you eat the salad. Also, you don't have to stick to just salads and apples. Find foods that you like that fill you up and satisfy your urges for sweet. Don't put foods in categories of "diet food" and "not diet food". Eat in a way that is sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • KasalovaJas
    KasalovaJas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "That's what she said." ~ Michael Scott
    Sorry....
  • pbe2525
    pbe2525 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For one week cut all the sugar and refined carbs. Eat only 100% whole wheat, whole grain or sprouted breads. Stevia should be the only added sweetener. You will feel withdrawals at first and then you will just feel GOOD. After spending my whole life as a sugar/bad carb. addict, I never went back. The people at work can be unhealthy if they want. They have no clue how good you can feel when you eat healthy. Fad diets that make us feel drained don't work long term.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Try intermitent fasting. Skip breakfast. You'll have more calories left for either bigger meals or snacks.

Discipline is still key, though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have nothing for advice. All I can say is that you know at the time you are needing to make a food choice or even before you start to consume the food that the decision you make or about to make is not quite within the realm of your goals..

You got to take the mind or matter approach. This is not a teachable attribute, it is a learned behavior and it takes repetitive amounts of time in making the choices you so desire to get certain results or attain certain goals.

But... and a big but... if the pizza will get you to goal, it is really ok to eat it. Many many many successful weight losers here on MFP ate pizza and the like and still lost weight, myself included.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions. Do some of them.
  • tybrummilehigh2016
    Options
    Let the mind control the body not the body control the mind.
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My husband has this pizza weakness, Di Giorno has a 700 cal one, he just incorporates it into his calorie budget ... When I crave it, I make a huge salad in a salad bowl and then add a slice of pizza to it, that way I get full and have my pizza too!
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The key is to stop the cravings. I know... "easier said than done"... but if you eat the right foods and stick to a schedule consistently, your cravings will subside. We are creatures of habit. The right plan will reduce your temptations dramatically within a month, and then it won't seem "so hard" to ignore the junk around you.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I have coworkers who eat fast food for breakfast, lunch, and probably dinner. On any given day I walk through the aisle and smell sort variety of fried potatoes (french fries are a huge weakness of mine), fried chicken, hamburgers, etc...
    If you're trying to eat salad everyday for lunch, that could be part of the problem. That's never going to smell as good as fried foods. My counter strategy is to make things like taco salads with salsa chicken, crockpot BBQ (just chicken breast and BBQ sauce slowed cooked - it's delicious and easy, and you can pair it with all kinds of lower calorie sides!) or oatmeal with pineapple in it that smells like a pineapple upside down cake when it comes out of the microwave. They're all much lower calorie options that smell great, and most of the time it has my coworkers gathering at my desk instead..haha..
    Before long, the fried stuff just won't be as appealing...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Accept it is going to be hard and don't try and fight that.

Accept that sometimes things will not go accordingly to plan but that's ok.

Accept that it may take longer that you imagine.

Do it anyway.

Never quit.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "That's what she said." ~ Michael Scott
    Sorry....

@KasalovaJas haha. You don't know how many times I've wanted to say that reading posts!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Look for other meals to replace the salad if it does not satisfy you. If you are looking forward to/enjoy your lunch, fast food won't be nearly so tempting.

Late night eating for me is about boredom, rarely about hunger. I have developed different ways of handling it, my closets are all well organized now. :)