Sugar Doesn't Prevent Weight Loss

Options
This brand new study fed the overweight/obese subjects fructose at the 25th and 50th percentile of typical population intake, as both sucrose and High Fructose Corn Syrup for 12 weeks. Weight loss was not impaired, and there was no difference in weight or fat loss between sucrose and HFCS. All the groups experienced similar decreases in total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL cholesterol.

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22866961

Full Text: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-11-55.pdf

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    LIAR!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This brand new study fed the overweight/obese subjects fructose at the 25th and 50th percentile of typical population intake, as both sucrose and High Fructose Corn Syrup for 12 weeks. Weight loss was not impaired, and there was no difference in weight or fat loss between sucrose and HFCS. All the groups experienced similar decreases in total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL cholesterol.

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22866961

Full Text: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-11-55.pdf

So, it actually IS calories in vs. calories out. Imagine that! Thanks for this.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    WIZARDRY!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    In for later.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    43% of caloric intake as sucrose in this study

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

Damn, 43%...so much for crying myself to sleep because an apple turned my MFP sugar number red.
  • rml_16
    Options
    so much for crying myself to sleep because an apple turned my MFP sugar number red.

You, too???
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Great link! I will have to save that for later. I got a page into it and my brain is already fried! Too much for an early read :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Excellent, thanks FireBrand :-)
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    so much for crying myself to sleep because an apple turned my MFP sugar number red.

You, too???

at least once a week
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Makes sense...but...BUT...

...was there any mention of number of/intensity of cravings of the test subjects dependent on their different diets?

I've always thought that actual weight loss was a simple CICO thing, but that the composition of our diets likely affects other aspects of our lives like cravings (quantity and quality), hormonal balance, overall health, etc.

(Yeah, I'm too busy/lazy to actually read the studies to figure it out myself.)
  • rml_16
    Options

...was there any mention of number of/intensity of cravings of the test subjects dependent on their different diets?

I've always thought that actual weight loss was a simple CICO thing, but that the composition of our diets likely affects other aspects of our lives like cravings (quantity and quality), hormonal balance, overall health, etc.

As a victim of a sweet tooth, I can attest that the less junk food I eat, the less I crave it. But the anti-sugar crowd often lumps fruit into the evil category. I eat fruit daily, usually at least five servings in a smoothie. That doesn't trigger cravings at all.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    if calories are held constant that is...

In a free living situation many people will struggle with over eating if they consume items with a lot of sugar because, for the most part, they taste freakin' delicious...
  • FireBrand80
    Options

No, that wasn't really the focus of the study. It's well known that sugar isn't every satiating. The risk is passive over consumption, rather than the sugar itself>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8737167
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17579632
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    if calories are held constant that is...

In a free living situation many people will struggle with over eating if they consume items with a lot of sugar because, for the most part, they taste freakin' delicious...

Well, if you're going to lose weight, you need a sustainable method of calorie control, sugar or not.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Good grief, that's a 1100cal diet on BMI 35-36 women. No wonder. Still the fat loss difference seems little despite the deficit.

Both studies are a bit too in vain. Expecting people to gain weight or not to lose weight on a deficit is against thermodynamics. However what they need to do is to compare results with HP and HF diets, in terms of overall loss and body composition.

Something like this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17622289
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There's a couple issues with this study:

1. It's already well known that in the context of a hypocaloric diet, your blood markers probably aren't going to be adversly affected by sugar (or whatever) b/c it's just burned off right away.

2. We already know about CICO. The problem has always been achieving it consistently. Sure if the calories are strictly regulated in the context of a study, then you could feed the subjects whatever you wanted. But in the real world many people who eat lots of sugar are in fact likely to have their weight loss hindered b/c the sugary foods will lead to over-eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Good grief, that's a 1100cal diet on BMI 35-36 women. No wonder. Still the fat loss difference seems little despite the deficit.

Both studies are a bit too in vain. Expecting people to gain weight or not to lose weight on a deficit is against thermodynamics. However what they need to do is to compare results with HP and HF diets, in terms of overall loss and body composition.

Something like this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17622289

Why wouldn't you look for trials that hold cals and protein constant, as higher protein diets have shown to have a slight metabolic advantage?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The added amount of exercise in this study (45 minutes of walking or comparable exercise three times a week) may have also contributed to the observed weight loss, although most studies report that weight
    loss from exercise alone is typically modest

Why would you include exercise in a study designed to study the impact sugar has on weight loss? Shouldn't you take pains to remove all of the variables instead of deliberately adding them? I know I'm going to sound like a nut job to the eat-as-much-sugar-as-you-want-as-long-as-your-under-your-calories crowd but when you see something like that and then that the study was funded by the Corn Growers Association or some such how am I supposed to take a study like this seriously?

And for the record, I actually do think you can eat whatever you want on a calorie restricted diet and still lose weight.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    There's a couple issues with this study:

1. It's already well known that in the context of a hypocaloric diet, your blood markers probably aren't going to be adversly affected by sugar (or whatever) b/c it's just burned off right away.

2. We already know about CICO. The problem has always been achieving it consistently. Sure if the calories are strictly regulated in the context of a study, then you could feed the subjects whatever you wanted. But in the real world many people who eat lots of sugar are in fact likely to have their weight loss hindered b/c the sugary foods will lead to over-eating.

Sugary foods have never lead me to over-eating.