Replies

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Set your goal weight to MFP. Log your calories, using a food scale and logging everything you eat. Stick to your calorie goal.
    I do not know if this is what you want or not want to hear, but PCOS is not to blame for your weight. You are eating way more than you should. And I say this as someone who has both PCOS and is hypothyroid (basically not functional thyroid at this point) plus have several other less common hormonal disorders. PCOS can be to blame for a few extra kilos not shifting easily from the belly area. The rest, it is your lifestyle.
    And exercise daily, it helps a lot with symptoms, regardless of weight loss.
    Also, I would strongly suggest you find a reproductive endocrinologist. Birth control pills are not treatment for PCOS, if this is what you were told, this was already outdated advice 20 years ago when I first got diagnosed.

First of all, I started what made me gain. Metformin did, hence why I stopped gaining when I quit and why my gyno discontinued the prescription. I do exercise and and did while while I was gaining. Also, I didn't say say the birth control was the treatment. It was too regulate my cycles. Plus, I never stated how much I ate or didn't eat. Please read my discussion further before assuming something that isn't true.

Metformim causes weight loss not gain.
    You stated you have tried several different diets and you do link your weight to PCOS.
    Once you realise it is not PCOS, you are not somehow "broken", but all the diets you tried did not result into eating less calories than you burn, then yoy can lose weight. Assuming an average height and some very light physical activity (i.e. not confined to bed) You have not been on 1200 1400 or even 2000 calorie average intake and ended up at close to 300 lbs. It is not possible, regardless of any medical conditions.
    You asked what actually works for PCOS. The answer at your starting weight is restricting calories. Even restricting at something like 1700-1800 will be effective. Once you get close ot goal weight, then PCOS might come into the picture into how to finetune the details. But where you are, it does not matter. The key is knowing you are at 1700 and not going over. Which is very easy: eyeballing food and estimating portions, not counting everything into a meal, forgetting to log, having cheat days, it can very easily all add up to several hundred calories above goal. Set a realistic target (1200 is not realistic) and stick to it. Be honest to yourself and accurate in your logging and you will find out that it does work.
    As for counting carbs, if your dr told you to, do it. If you are insulin resistant, you need to. No, counting carbs will nto stall weight loss, do nto lie to yourself.

OK you need to stop replying to this. You clearly don't know what you are talking about and are just spouting at the mouth. Have a wonderful day and God bless!

I know what I am talkign about because I have lived with it for decades.
    You want to hear "poor us, how terrible this condition is, it defies the basic laws of energy"? Several posters will give you exactly that. But is this what is going to help you, telling yourself that PCOS is a terrible illness that condemns you to being obese by defying physics? Will this help you lose weight and improve your health?
    Or do you really want help on how to change things? If it is the later: log accurately, count calories, be honest in your logging, count carbs, watch the scale move in the right direction. That simple, and that hard.

I find it a little funny how you seem to be spouting like you are an expert on PCOS. Unfortunately (if your doctor hasn't told you), PCOS affects EVERY woman differently. Clearly, you have lost the weight by simply restricting your calories. That's great. But to sit here and practically say that the way to lose weight is by logging accurately and weighing your food defies the very question she was asking and the truth of PCOS. There is no set way to lose weight with PCOS. You continue on and on in an aggressive way that is completely off putting.

Congrats on your weight loss. Leave the "know-it-all" to the real experts...who don't even know everything when it comes to PCOS.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP, there really may be some common observation errors in the rules you have set up for yourself. Lowering carbs shouldn't make your weight loss stall, unless you substituted them with something high-calorie like a high amount of fats that put you over your calorie goal. So it wouldn't really be the carbs doing it. Metformin shouldn't cause weight gain at all, but maybe you ate more to try to soothe your stomach? I've done that when I started to get an ulcer.

It is said that it's the insulin resistance that can make weight loss harder with PCOS, and the fixes for that are lower-carb, medication, and exercise. If we theorize that it's the other hormone imbalances that could also make weight loss harder, it would be the lack of progesterone and/or much higher levels of estrogen. The higher androgens aren't likely to be the culprit since they are more about muscle, although they may be part of why we can get beer bellies like guys.

I'm on Metformin to balance many hormones, and then I'm also on Prometrium Rx progesterone for more hormone balancing. I used to be on spirolactone (sp?) to cut off the androgens, but it didn't work enough and I had a strange side effect of sweating crusts of salt all over in the summer, which just freaked me out too much and looked awful, lol. The Metformin (along with lower carb) helped tremendously with my abdominal fat storage anyway, so I'm very pleased! I didn't expect that at all, but it's the first time that ever happened, and it coincided with taking it for a few weeks. I'm not an 'apple' shape, but my lower belly has always been a bit of an issue until now (at 45!). I'm at the same weight I've been before, so it's not just a weight thing.

The biggest thing I notice with PCOS weight-wise is that exercise seems to boost my weight loss more than it should according to the calories I burn. If I'm losing slowly (due to PCOS, presumably), exercise at least 4 days a week gives an enormous kick, even though I don't do very vigorous exercise. (Well, I've added some recently, but this is my historical experience). Good luck!
  • CraftHer
    CraftHer Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    PCOS can cause insulin resistance making it harder to loose weight. Metformin helps to regulate the amount of glucose (sugar) in your blood. Metformin makes your body more sensitive to insulin, and decreases the amount of glucose your liver releases. Have you had your HbA1c checked?

I'm dealing with insulin resistance by limiting my carbs per meal (30 gr per meal, 15 gr per snack) and eating around 1200 calories per day. And I'm loosing weight. You can experiment to find out how many carbs per meal you can handle. It's a process. Good luck.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 27 years ago aka the dark ages.

And honestly the knowledge and treatments have barely evolved.

Are you on regular metformin or the extended release? On the extended release I have not had a speck of abdominal upset.

Regarding weight loss I'm afraid I am not much help. I am a classic case of the syndrome so it's all about lower carbs, lower cals and more exercise for me. Hate it but there you go.

I hope someone e has an answer for you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    Set your goal weight to MFP. Log your calories, using a food scale and logging everything you eat. Stick to your calorie goal.
    I do not know if this is what you want or not want to hear, but PCOS is not to blame for your weight. You are eating way more than you should. And I say this as someone who has both PCOS and is hypothyroid (basically not functional thyroid at this point) plus have several other less common hormonal disorders. PCOS can be to blame for a few extra kilos not shifting easily from the belly area. The rest, it is your lifestyle.
    And exercise daily, it helps a lot with symptoms, regardless of weight loss.
    Also, I would strongly suggest you find a reproductive endocrinologist. Birth control pills are not treatment for PCOS, if this is what you were told, this was already outdated advice 20 years ago when I first got diagnosed.

First of all, I started what made me gain. Metformin did, hence why I stopped gaining when I quit and why my gyno discontinued the prescription. I do exercise and and did while while I was gaining. Also, I didn't say say the birth control was the treatment. It was too regulate my cycles. Plus, I never stated how much I ate or didn't eat. Please read my discussion further before assuming something that isn't true.

Metformim causes weight loss not gain.
    You stated you have tried several different diets and you do link your weight to PCOS.
    Once you realise it is not PCOS, you are not somehow "broken", but all the diets you tried did not result into eating less calories than you burn, then yoy can lose weight. Assuming an average height and some very light physical activity (i.e. not confined to bed) You have not been on 1200 1400 or even 2000 calorie average intake and ended up at close to 300 lbs. It is not possible, regardless of any medical conditions.
    You asked what actually works for PCOS. The answer at your starting weight is restricting calories. Even restricting at something like 1700-1800 will be effective. Once you get close ot goal weight, then PCOS might come into the picture into how to finetune the details. But where you are, it does not matter. The key is knowing you are at 1700 and not going over. Which is very easy: eyeballing food and estimating portions, not counting everything into a meal, forgetting to log, having cheat days, it can very easily all add up to several hundred calories above goal. Set a realistic target (1200 is not realistic) and stick to it. Be honest to yourself and accurate in your logging and you will find out that it does work.
    As for counting carbs, if your dr told you to, do it. If you are insulin resistant, you need to. No, counting carbs will nto stall weight loss, do nto lie to yourself.

OK you need to stop replying to this. You clearly don't know what you are talking about and are just spouting at the mouth. Have a wonderful day and God bless!

I know what I am talkign about because I have lived with it for decades.
    You want to hear "poor us, how terrible this condition is, it defies the basic laws of energy"? Several posters will give you exactly that. But is this what is going to help you, telling yourself that PCOS is a terrible illness that condemns you to being obese by defying physics? Will this help you lose weight and improve your health?
    Or do you really want help on how to change things? If it is the later: log accurately, count calories, be honest in your logging, count carbs, watch the scale move in the right direction. That simple, and that hard.

I find it a little funny how you seem to be spouting like you are an expert on PCOS. Unfortunately (if your doctor hasn't told you), PCOS affects EVERY woman differently. Clearly, you have lost the weight by simply restricting your calories. That's great. But to sit here and practically say that the way to lose weight is by logging accurately and weighing your food defies the very question she was asking and the truth of PCOS. There is no set way to lose weight with PCOS. You continue on and on in an aggressive way that is completely off putting.

Congrats on your weight loss. Leave the "know-it-all" to the real experts...who don't even know everything when it comes to PCOS.

No. To believe that PCOS defies the laws of physics this is what makes no sense. Talk to your drs. Google medical sites about PCOS and weight loss. Not random blogs of crazy people or con artists trying to sell their fad diets and books.
    PCOS gets much much worse with weight gain. As every medical site and dr will tell you. Which is why many women with PCOS are obese: because obesity triggers or worsens PCOS, not the opposite. Does PCOS affect weight loss? Absolutely. Especially when accompanied with insulin resistance, lifestyle restrictions (more physical activity, carb counting) might apply. Does it mean the body finds a way to survive and store fat when you do not eat enough calories? Definitely not. Energy has to come from somewhere.
    We are all gaining weight by eating more than we burn. There is no other way. When we have an illness that lowers BMR, this might mean we should be eating a bit less than someone who does not suffer from this condition, or that we need to become more physically active. Unless a hormonal disorder is so out of control that we end up sleeping literally all day, there is no such thing as not losing weight on a low calorie diet, especially when being obese. And obviously there is no such thing as carb counting causing weight gain. These are both claims made by OP. And these are both excuses.
    Check the replies on this and other threads by anyone who has PCOS and has successfully controlled weight: eat less, keep an eye on carbs, exercise more is the common theme. There are no special snowflake PCOS cases. It is not an exotic condition that has science buffled. It is one of the most common conditions women suffer from.

And talking about experts, here we go:
    http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2013-2350
    The theme is "lifestyle changes", "weight loss through calorie restriction", "exercise".
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and can have different causes of PCOS. You can be diagnosed without having any blood sugar issues, and who knows your precise hormone levels, and your particular stressors. I also tried a bunch of increasingly crazy things in the hope that something would work. Remember, you now have extensive research into what doesn't work for you :) I personally have not had issues with IR so what ended up working for me was getting on a BC, and taking things 6 weeks at a time (I used to be an overstresser and freak out when I didn't see changes). It took me losing 25lbs on my own before I even started using mfp. Now I just follow the mfp calories (right now it's 1530 for 1lb/wk loss) and I eat back half my exercise calories, no restrictions on the food I eat. Mmm carne asada french fries... And I have lost um apparently over 80 lbs and got to hopefully the 180s next week. It's easy to feel discouraged but you will find what works for you. Track calories, go back to a doc and see if you need meds or meds switched, try to relax a little, this is for you.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Repeating what persons said, pcos symptoms are different for everyone. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago and it's been a struggle.

What works for me is counting calories and weighing my food (I love my kitchen scale). It was only when I started weighing foods I realised true portion sizes and was able to make better decisions. I pack my own snacks and do food prep. I limit myself on white flour and sugar as I tend to gain weight in my midsection when I indulge.

Exercise is a must for me as well at least 5 times per week for 30 mins minimum. I do a mix of strength training and cardio. I find little ways to be active during the day ...always take the stairs, park a bit further from stores, etc.

Fortunately this worked for me. I am now in maintenance mode at 5'4 at 113 - 117 lbs. It's easier to work with a range.

Of course as indicated, everyone is different. You need to find what works for you and this may take time and different meds as well.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since puberty, and whoever says it's not to blame for weight gain clearly has little knowledge of this syndrome. This is not to say that you are powerless, but I commend you for being on MFP and working out. It sounds like your insulin resistance and inflammation are very high. When you are resistant to insulin, your body stores fat instead of letting you use energy from your food, so you end up fatigued, craving carbs and sugar (because your body is starving for energy, and fat. I second the opinions of the responders who say to seek out a reproductive endocrinologist - those are the best docs to help you fight this.
    Here is what has worked for me but please clear this with your doctor:
    Metformin 1000 mg twice a day
    Myo-inositol 4g twice a day (I like the Swanson brand on Amazon)
    D chiro inositol with manganese once a day (Swanson brand on Amazon)
    ALA supplement twice a day
    Vitamin D 5000 once a day
    Omega 3 vitamin twice a day for inflammation

Unless you are on Yaz or Yasmin for birth control pills, the pill is likely making your PCOS symptoms worse because the progesterone portion aggravates the already elevated androgen component of PCOS. I chose to get off the pill completely, and I felt better and lost weight.

Regarding eating, my doctor recommended an anti-inflammatory diet with an emphasis on higher protein (80-100) per day, and this has really helped me.

I weight train 2-3 times per week for 30 minutes and try to squeeze in 2 30 minute sessions of cardio. Even 10 minutes of sweating will help your body process insulin better, so I personally am trying to fit in more days of cardio.

Please don't go below 1200 calories or your body may start to cannibalize your lean muscle mass.

And please feel free to friend me. I'm always looking for fellow PCOS sisters. Keep fighting the good fight!
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No one here yet seems to have mentioned (apologies if they have and I've skimmed over it) slow release metformin. I used to be on 1500mg, loaded as 3x500mg tablets a day, and I stuck out the nausea for two years before giving it up. I recently had a big spike in difficult PCOS symptoms and went back to the GP, who has now given me slow-release metformin that I take just once a day before breakfast, and I've not had a single ounce of sickness or tummy trouble since day 1. If any of you are struggling with digestive issues on your current metformin, it might be worth asking for the slow release version. (I don't know how it works the US with doctors, but the NHS are readily prescribing it without trouble).

As for weight loss, and ignoring the more b*itchy posts which have arisen, there's truth in all of them really. PCOS DOES make weight loss more difficult, but it's not the only reason stopping weight loss. I find that I often feel I've not lost a pound, then find out I've lost a few - but I still feel flabby (and am still considerably flabby with more than 50lbs left to go!) and I think it's because with PCOS we're prone to holding our weight around our lower tummies more than anywhere else. So you feel still beached-whaleish when actually your arms and legs are slimming out rather quickly.

For me personally, I've found lots of protein and restricting my starchy carbs does seem to work (I still have them, just less), and I go for lower GI options. Most of my carb intake comes from vegetables etc, which seems to work well. However, one of the hardest things is willpower - when your body is saying 'YOU NEED THAT DOUGHNUT BECAUSE THE INSULIN GOBLIN SAYS SO' it's difficult to always say no, and practice makes it easier.

Exercise stops my cravings a significant amount, and I've found weight training more efficient for weight loss than cardio which I know doesn't work for everyone but seems to work for me. I train 5 times a week, and force some cardio in there every other day mostly to improve my asthmatic lungs than anything else! I often don't eat back many of my exercise calories, although MFP is designed for it, but that's partly because I don't weigh my food either and like to have a buffer of around 500 cals a day (including exercise cals). I've lost 11lbs since Jan 4th so it works for me.

PCOS sucks, and is so misunderstood. Sometimes your hormones will go against you, and sometimes less so - it fluctuates, as it the nature of the beast! Keep going, you'll get there eventually. :)
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh and as for birth control to help, I tried all the pills possible until a genius GP suggested the Depo injection. Not ideal if you're planning to TTC any time soon, but I don't want children at all so it's a good thing for me. I've had very, very few side effects, many of which could easily be attributed to other issues I've got anyway (slightly swollen ankles most days - water retention from hypothyroidism for example).

Again, this is just something that's helped me, but it's different for every woman!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Metformin does not cause weight gain. In fact, it is a trend right now to prescribe it for people who don't have PCOS or IR...for weight LOSS. If you have problems tolerating the drug, make sure to try extended release--it works a lot better.

A lower carb diet and lots of exercise are the things that I have found to be the key.

If you are not seeing an endocrinologist for your treatment, I would strongly suggest that you consider doing that.
  • vivrevotrevie
    vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just want to throw some science in the mix here. B)

So Insulin resistance, what is it? In a simplified explanation... Typically, insulin resistance reduces your cells ability to sense and process sugars properly. AKA glucose. So when the glucose enters the bloodstream, insulin is produced to essentially help the cells convert glucose into energy. With insulin resistance, this process is impaired and as a result, some of the glucose stays in the blood stream. These high levels of blood sugar are sent to the liver, where it is turned into fat. With most (I believe over half) women who suffer from PCOS also dealing with insulin resistance, weight gain and PCOS can in fact be positively correlated.

I am not sure how this became a chicken and the egg debate, but I would say it is both. Gaining weight can exacerbate PCOS symptoms, and PCOS symptoms can lead to gaining weight. It is an unfortunate downward spiral that is more challenging to escape than just weight gain.

I don't think we need to harp on this anymore.

I would say that I agree with most of what people have to say in this thread here. I have actually never been on any medication for my PCOS and have been able to lose weight in the past with diet and exercise.

Something I would caution you about in regards to the carb counting you referenced. A lot of those low carb, low fat, low whatever options often have synthetic or sugar alternatives that are processed in the exactly the same way in our bodies as sugar! While they may not have as many calories, our bodies process them similarly and for people with insulin resistance, it is almost a wash.

Another tip I wanted to mention, from personal experience, has to do with entering your food diary. I know I have struggled with the same thing, feeling like I am doing the right things and not seeing success. What I noticed is that my food diaries were not as accurate as I thought they were. I would forget the pretzels I snagged from a coworker or the glass of wine at dinner and those things were adding up quickly (especially because snacks seem to be the worst for calories). Additionally as you will notice searching for food items in the MFP catalog can produce some wild differences. When I find a baked potato at 100 calories and the other at 250, you can bet I want to count the lower one. In my head I was justifying that it must be the right one. Because of this, I usually like to try and find the exact match (if I purchased something or went out for dinner) or do some research to make sure what I am adding to my diary is accurate. It sounds stupid and might not be your issue, but even when I thought I was bringing my A game to the food diary table, I was missing some big ones that resulted in not losing weight. Entering your best guess will not always be 100% accurate, but these little things can help us get closer.

Exercise is great for any weight loss. If you are even able to take a 30 minute walk each day, it can help. I try to get a little bit of exercise (usually a walk) in after dinner to help with digestion and burn those cals.

Best of luck to you in reaching your goal.