Overdone cheat day

Options
Hello,

I give myself one cheat day per month and this usually stops me eating my favourite foods the rest of the time as I can tell myself "it's ok, wait til the end of the month then you can have it". But then the list builds and yesterday I had a mountain of Kfc, Mcds and chocolate totalling over 4,000 calories.
I feel like im waking up on a hangover today.

Who else has cheat days? And how do you implement them without going crazy or slipping up too often?

Sw: 190lbs
Cw: 166lbs
Gw: 140lbs

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Great, now I want KFC ;)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Not really. My experience is that the less I eat that sort of stuff, the less I want it. On the last occasion some months ago I had no choice as there was nothing else available (small service station off a motorway on a long journey) and I felt really unwell afterwards.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There is research claiming that if you tell yourself you can have a certain food "some other time" instead of at a later specified time, you will be less likely to crave that food, because otherwise all you do is focus on that food until the moment you decided you are allowed to have it.

I wouldn't worry about it in the grand scheme of things, though; it's just one day. But perhaps limit yourself to having a cheat meal rather than a whole day? And perhaps find a way to work in things you love in small amounts into your normal non-cheat days? Like having a little bit of chocolate as a snack?
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I felt really unwell afterwards.

I used to drink the gravy at kfc, but a few days ago I absolutely had a swig (the whole tub had been fit into my diary anyway) and couldn't even finish all of the 1 x thigh, 1 x drummer that I had logged because the gravy made my tummy turn! I still enjoyed it until that point, but there was satisfaction in knowing I was full when I used to devour most of a family bucket!

And I suggest making "cheats meals" instead of days, where you save up calories over the course of the week so that it doesn't affect your deficit - that way, if you go overboard accidentally, you'll also have a lot less to worry about!

Try either saving calories burned from exercise, or maybe take 100/200 a day off your allowance so that at the end of the week you have an extra 600/1200 kcal for dinner and a dessert?

I used to binge so I get where you're coming from and I found what worked for me was reading something I already knew in an old magazine I flicked through at my GP, "it takes around 20 minutes for your brain to process that you're full". Which may be fluff, who even knows anymore, but I told myself to have a small amount of something. Wait 20 minutes. Then have more if I wanted it.

Whether I learned to know if I was full or not, I certainly managed to control and shrink my appetite! Maybe try some of this for your next cheat day/meal!?
  • LorelaiUK
    LorelaiUK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I felt unwell after it aswell as my body isn't used to it anymore, so I think that will put me off doing it next month. But I agree that I should try and limit it to one meal and work it into my calories. I already cut my calories down a lot (usually eat between 500-900calories) so I don't think it effects my weight loss too much just slows it down by about a week.

The thing with binge eating for me is that it's more a psychological thing rather than waiting to see if I'm full. I feel like I need these foods to make me happy, but Im hoping the longer I'm on my diet the more I'll realise this isn't true.

Anyone else an emotional eater?
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am more hungry because of the medicine I have to take. Scheduled eating helps me.
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    Options
    Hello, I also have a cheat day, except I call it date night once a month. People are going to say that there's plenty of ways to do date night without cheating but my partner eats what I cook all 29 days of the other month to support me so it strikes a balance. The way that I do it is to excersise and eat well in the lead up to it and think carefully about what I want to eat. We did Thai this time and I thrououghly enjoyed but I couldn't finish my portion. Don't stick to a cheat day, but just one meal and it really helps. Also DO NOT weight yourself the next morning, you will only put yourself into a downwards spiral. I used to eat emotionally but I've now replaced eating with excersise it's really helped!
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    Options
    I also get fast food hangovers now which really puts me off eating it.
  • LorelaiUK
    Options
    Oh yes. I will be avoiding that scale for atleast the next few days. It's hard because I want to have a better relationship with food and not feel guilty about one cheat day but it's impossible not to feel guilty when it affects the scale. But without it i'm not sure I'd even stick to my diet. Not to sound cliché but it's all about the lifelong journey and learning what you can cope with/what's best for you.
  • hannah19632016
    hannah19632016 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Last year when I lost my weight I Always had a treat day...usually a Saturday. During that day I didn't eat a lot but always had my Chinese/indian meal and wine (didn't count calories though) went straight back on plan the next day and lost weight every week. Hope this gives you some inspiration :)
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tuesday was the first time I planned a cheat meal/treat instead of going over on accident or for whatever reason. I didn't really save extra calories over my deficit, which isn't a large deficit anyway. Some friends from college and I decided the Friday beforehand that we should go on Tuesday to a local shop and get donuts. I enjoyed the outing, and ended up eating approximately 800-1000 calories through one apple fritter and milk (just guessing). I ended up grabbing another one later on when my roommate asked me to stop back by and grab her one. :P

In the end I figure that I'm just making my diet fit my life. If I believe I can't have it, I'd fixate on it. Instead, I just think of it like moderation. The last time I had a donut was in the first couple weeks of December, so I'm okay with that kind of time spacing.

I have days I eat over, I try not to let it stress me. I'm not interested in crash dieting, I want to learn moderation that allows me to feel satisfied and not deprived while working on reaching my goal.

Lately I've been trying to work more sweets into my diet as a way to prevent a sudden decision to buy a storemade pie (I know I can make lower calorie ones if I really want it), or a dozen donuts. Jury is still out on how it's working, but figured I'd share.

Good luck. :]
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LorelaiUK wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I felt unwell after it aswell as my body isn't used to it anymore, so I think that will put me off doing it next month. But I agree that I should try and limit it to one meal and work it into my calories. I already cut my calories down a lot (usually eat between 500-900calories) so I don't think it effects my weight loss too much just slows it down by about a week.

The thing with binge eating for me is that it's more a psychological thing rather than waiting to see if I'm full. I feel like I need these foods to make me happy, but Im hoping the longer I'm on my diet the more I'll realise this isn't true.

Anyone else an emotional eater?

I really hope you don't just eat 500-900 calories a day, I hope you meant per meal... Because at that many calories per day, I certainly would feel the need to have a binge once in a while; no matter how short you are, that seems too low to be sustainable.
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's been said, you may find it easier if you work more frequent "cheat" meals into your calorie goals rather than waiting all month and then giving yourself free reign.
    I work on a weekly calorie deficit basis. I have about 4 days a week when I "save" 400-500 calories (as compared to my base calories from MFP plus 50% of exercise calories) by eating around 1100. Two days I aim to roughly hit my calories, which allows me to work in a small treat or craving here and there (eg. a measured portion of icecream, or a homemade meal that's bigger/more calorie-dense than my normal days, but still carefully logged.)
    One day (usually Friday or Saturday) I have a proper "cheat" meal - usually go out for dinner and have a couple of wines, and don't really count the calories for that one meal.
    I've been losing faster than what MFP estimates, so it's working so far.
    Obviously your maths may vary depending on your stats and exercise, but 500-900 does sound too low.
  • LorelaiUK
    Options
    was the first time I planned a cheat meal/treat instead of going over on accident or for whatever reason. I didn't really save extra calories over my deficit, which isn't a large deficit anyway. Some friends from college and I decided the Friday beforehand that we should go on Tuesday to a local shop and get donuts. I enjoyed the outing, and ended up eating approximately 800-1000 calories through one apple fritter and milk (just guessing). I ended up grabbing another one later on when my roommate asked me to stop back by and grab her one. :P

In the end I figure that I'm just making my diet fit my life. If I believe I can't have it, I'd fixate on it. Instead, I just think of it like moderation. The last time I had a donut was in the first couple weeks of December, so I'm okay with that kind of time spacing.

Problem with this for me would be knowing which days would be ok and when to say no or yes. I need more structure or I'd keep saying 'its just today' everyday.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, but typically if I want something, I make it fit in my calories...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do not do 'cheat days'

i make what i want or am craving fit into my daily goals.
  • LorelaiUK
    Options
    Yea think it would be better to try and integrate small amounts of these types of food when the craving arises. It's just finding that balance if I crave it every day.

I do eat 500-900 daily. With vitamin supplements. I do eat quite a bit I think, as vegetables go a long way as far as calorie counting goes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Yea think it would be better to try and integrate small amounts of these types of food when the craving arises. It's just finding that balance if I crave it every day.

I do eat 500-900 daily. With vitamin supplements. I do eat quite a bit I think, as vegetables go a long way as far as calorie counting goes.

i really hope youre eating more than that ......
  • aft85
    aft85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i do between 1200 and 1500 calories, depending on activity level, and have cheat days every fortnight, which have been a pizza meal out, a big nachos plate, a chinese takeaway and this weekend some sort of kebab with chips.

I hadn't weighed myself much, but the measurements seem positve.

I sorta wonder if the cheat days could be once a month, but i feel like my partner kinda enjoys them too (and we probably do eat out fornightly anyway, so it's nice not to have to pay close attention to it.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I hope you're joking.