Keto diet:heeeelllp??

Options
Hey guys so my doctor wants to change my weight loss plan. She wants me to give this plan with the aid of metformin(not diabetic) a shot. I've lost about 50 Ibs so far and she thinks this plan could be very beneficial to me. At first I didn't know this is what she was talking about she didn't give a name she just said little to no carbs and lots of protein she didn't even say anything about fats.. I kind of stumbled onto this by doing research bc I started to become extremely hungry and I didn't know why...I need some help coming up with some calculations and tips. I've been doing my research and of the calculator on the web is correct the plan should look like this
Carbs: 33g
Protein : 81g
Fat:94g

Replies

• ljocker
    ljocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are those macros her plan? Seems high in carbs and low in fat for ketogenic. If it is ketogenic, most sources ive seen (Youtube has dozens of videos) suggest 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% net carbs (carb grams minus fiber). You can go into settings on MFP to set those percentages for tracking (tracking the macros was what led me to MFP).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    cpotter013 wrote: »
    Hey guys so my doctor wants to change my weight loss plan. She wants me to give this plan with the aid of metformin(not diabetic) a shot. I've lost about 50 Ibs so far and she thinks this plan could be very beneficial to me. At first I didn't know this is what she was talking about she didn't give a name she just said little to no carbs and lots of protein she didn't even say anything about fats.. I kind of stumbled onto this by doing research bc I started to become extremely hungry and I didn't know why...I need some help coming up with some calculations and tips. I've been doing my research and of the calculator on the web is correct the plan should look like this
    Carbs: 33g
    Protein : 81g
    Fat:94g

You have successfully lost 50 pounds, why does you doctor feel the need to change your plan? Why metformin if you are not diabetic?

What are your stats (height, weight)? Those nutrients add up to 1300 calories; it may be too low for you, and the reason why you're hungry. It's true that many people get more satiety for the same calories when cutting carbs, (and I personally love fat!) but that split looks extreme. Go to settings and experiment with different weight loss goals; 2 pounds per week will give you the lowest calorie intake, and unless your health is in danger because of your weight, that's not necessary. Then adjust your macros. You don't have to go "all out" (it will be difficult to assemble a menu, and meals can taste strange), try a more moderate approach first. 25% protein, 25% carbs, 50% fat is still low carb and plenty of protein.
  • cpotter013
    cpotter013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ljocker wrote: »
    Are those macros her plan? Seems high in carbs and low in fat for ketogenic. If it is ketogenic, most sources ive seen (Youtube has dozens of videos) suggest 70% fats, 25% protein and 5% net carbs (carb grams minus fiber). You can go into settings on MFP to set those percentages for tracking (tracking the macros was what led me to MFP).

No she didn't give me any numbers. She kind of have me what to stay away from and that was all. So no that I'm home trying to apply it I'm confused now. Yea when I did the calculator thing it was right around there I just raised the carb a little bc o thought starting at 20g was to drastic for me to just jump to

• cpotter013
    cpotter013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

You have successfully lost 50 pounds, why does you doctor feel the need to change your plan? Why metformin if you are not diabetic?

What are your stats (height, weight)? Those nutrients add up to 1300 calories; it may be too low for you, and the reason why you're hungry. It's true that many people get more satiety for the same calories when cutting carbs, (and I personally love fat!) but that split looks extreme. Go to settings and experiment with different weight loss goals; 2 pounds per week will give you the lowest calorie intake, and unless your health is in danger because of your weight, that's not necessary. Then adjust your macros. You don't have to go "all out" (it will be difficult to assemble a menu, and meals can taste strange), try a more moderate approach first. 25% protein, 25% carbs, 50% fat is still low carb and plenty of protein.

Yea I didn't get it that much either on my own I lost 28 then I started going to her the last three months and I lost 8ibs the first month 8 the second and 11 the third month
    So I feel like I was doing something right
    The metformin helps with weight loss as well particularly in the stomach region which is where she want me to loose more of the weight. She'd rather have me loose inches then Ibs now I guess or a combination. Right now I'm 5 5 and I weigh 209. The hunger though didn't start until I started the metformin and the low carb diet. Before I was eating carbs just small portion. Yea from looking at the information it looks like your suppose to eat a lot of fatty foods which is a new concept to me
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are losing the weight, so you are doing the work. You will lose inches as you lose weight, and you can't really decide where the weight will come off. You wouldn't want to go below your BMR (for longer periods of time), which I've estimated to around 1700. If the drug changes your metabolism(?), you will be more hungry. It sounds to me like your original plan was better. A plan that works is a plan you can stick to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A diet that is low carb does not need to be ketogenic. Depending on your caloric intake, size and activity level, a etogenic diet is usually under 50g of carbs per day. I have been ketogenic for about 8 months, and keep my carbs at under 20g total which is about 5%. I have insulin resistance with prediabetic blood glucose levels, so I do not rase my protein; I keep it around 20% or 71g. Fat makes up the bulk of my diet. I lost about 40lbs, to get to a normal BMI, in the first 4 months.

As a general rule, those who eat ketogenic do not eat high protein. There is no need since this is a muscle spanning diet. Most keep their protein between 15 and 25%, with a few people going higher or lower.

As for the meds, that usually isn't prescribed unless you have some sort of insulin resistance like NAFLD, prediabetes, T2D, PCOS, or dementia. Those people do tend to benefit the most from a ketogenic diet because glucose and insulin are kept low. This can potentially make weight loss easier too if the low insulin for weight loss hypothesis has some truth to it. I believe it does. Many find eating keto reduces their appetite and carb cravings too, which makes eating at a deficit much much easier.

Just make sure you increase sodium up to 5000mg per day when you cut carbs to make up for the electrolytes lost with the water. If you get tired, headaches, achy or feel ill, chances are your sodium is low. Increasing potassium and magnesium helps too.

Check out the Low Carber Daily group for more information. Good luck!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Do you have PCOS? I know Metformin is used oftentimes for that. If she said high protein she probably didn't mean ketogenic, as keto is a moderate protein diet. The carbs you list does not look high for keto. Carbs can vary for person to person. I can do 50 or even 60 net carbs and stay in keto. Some people have to get it down to the teens or lower. My fat averages 60% (88g).

Edit: After reading the above post, I want to agree on a few points (and disagree on none). Keto definitely helps my energy go up and my hunger/cravings go down. The first week or so is hard when transitioning, mentally more than physically for me. I ensure to eat a lot of fiber, which means that my carbs are generally in the 60s-80s before subtracting fiber.

I have PCOS but did not have symptoms or problems until going off of BCP. This way of eating has helped me dramatically. When I was younger I was a high carb low meat type of eater and it worked for me, but the longer I work with this lifestyle the easier it becomes as I find things that I enjoy eating and my food satisfies me a lot more. With carby things, I find it harder to reach satiety which leads to me either feeling constantly hungry or overeating or both.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If doing Keto, there's no need for Metformin. :)