How should I start strength training?

Options
I have been losing weight pretty well, while eating healthy. Currently I am doing a mix of (to me) intense treadmill to casual 5-6miles a day 120 minutes between two sessions. All are on an incline. I am up to a 3.2mph and every 10 minutes I turn it up to 4mph for a minute to get my heart rate up. Week 1 I couldn't wait for my 60 minutes to be over now I can stay going but I am still to heavy to want to risk my body impacting on a running speed.

I would like to spend maybe 30 minutes while I am still amped up doing some light strength training but I don't really know were to start.

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You can start with bodyweight squats, step-ups, static lunges, planks, bridges...

You could do 10 to 15-minute circuits (modified to your level). 4 sets of 10 reps.

One day could be box squats, chair push-ups, (suspension trainer) pull-ups, sit-ups and bridges.
    Another day could be static lunges, step-ups, pull-ups and planks.

Move quickly while maintaining good form.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you want to start lifting, I'd start by researching and looking into Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5!
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 looks promising, will fit the time frame I had in mind three times a week. Thanks I will review it more and start it next week.
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    That is fine, it can start taking some of my treadmill time. I was never planning on two hours on the treadmill 7 days a week, it just happened and now with the weight dropping pretty decently I think it can be split up a bit. Is that a okay method?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    lostgoals wrote: »
    That is fine, it can start taking some of my treadmill time. I was never planning on two hours on the treadmill 7 days a week, it just happened and now with the weight dropping pretty decently I think it can be split up a bit. Is that a okay method?

Yes, but most people lift first and do cardio after so they are at their strongest and freshest for lifting.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    lostgoals wrote: »

I usually spend 45-60 minutes lifting and then either run intervals for 25 mins or walk on the treadmill for 30+ minutes. If you can spend 2 hours on the treadmill, I would say it's definitely time to add some lifting/reduce treadmill time. Look on the forum for some beginner programs: Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting. Someone actually compiled a list of different programs in one of these threads.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess you don't have a lot of experience with lifting since you're asking how to start.

I'm not attempting to discourage or disparage, everyone started somewhere. Just do your homework and be smart about it. Don't worry about how much you're lifting at first, worry about your form and ease your body into this transition. I'm just getting into lifting after a long time off and I'm spending a couple of weeks just putting my shoulders through the paces so that they have a chance to get ahead of the curve so to speak. They're your weak link in any upper body exercise and if you jack one up it is pretty much something you've got to deal with for life as it isn't going to just hamper your efforts to lift now but in the future as well.