Stupid Mistakes in Estimating and Logging calories

Options
bisky
bisky Posts: 984 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Logging Fail! I weigh and measure most of my foods and log. I love cappuccinos and make my own (regular and decaf) but I was logging in generic cappuccinos and estimating volume (8 - 12 ounces). I have to measure the milk each time to put in my frother (100ml), I don't use sugar and it just hit me today...I just need to log the 1% milk for calories and espresso....duh.... I was over estimating by 50 -100 calories for each cappuccino. :D

Replies

• janivl
    janivl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My biggest fail recently: not thinking and assuming 100g uncooked pasta equals 100g cooked pasta. So while planning my meals for this week I needed 400g cooked pasta and I prepared 400g uncooked, only to end up with about 400-500g of cooked pasta that went to waste :)

Now i'm counting a uncooked x 2 = cooked conversion ratio to err on the safe side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weighing some packaged snacks (Graze) one day and realizing that everything is pretty much up to 30% heavier than what the nutrition info says... hello extra calories...

Realizing after weeks of eating the same thing that I was using an inaccurate entry.
  • bisky
    Options
    Yikes!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Not checking the calories on a stir fry sauce I guessed I knew the content as Ive used so many before. Nope, 360 cals for a ********* sauce! !!!
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just found out that the gram/calorie count on meat such as chicken is the amount uncooked, not cooked. So I've been logging cooked chicken using those numbers. :/
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The olive oil I put on my chicken breasts before I grill them. I hate accounting for it, because I know that some of that is lost. Some remains on the plate where they were prepared before cooking, some remains on the grill pan or grill. So sometimes I just ignore the fact that olive oil was even involved.
  • bisky
    Options
    I feel so stupid but it is late here and I am tired. Would cook chicken weigh more than raw chicken? Guess I will find out tomorrow when I cook. I would think grilled chicken would weigh a little less...losing some moisture in cooking process.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have seen the debates about cooked vs not cooked, but the Mr Spock in me tends to think that I should weigh it as I consume it, so I weigh cooked food (and make sure I enter it that way in the database or select it that way from the database)
  • bisky
    Options
    Makes sense.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I made the classic mistake once of assuming the nutrition label on the back of Jimmy John's chips was referring to the bag as one serving. But no, the bag was two servings! Totally worth it because those jalapeno chips are amazing, but definitely an amateur mistake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Assuming that fish tacos are a healthy choice at Mexican restaurants... LOL nope.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I put MyFitnessPal on "maintain weight" for the week we went on vacation in December. When we got back home, I totally forgot to put it back on losing .5 lbs. a week. It took me about a week to realize it.
  • sandiebodi
    sandiebodi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not realizing there are 2 carbs in the Magnesium Citrate and 3 carbs in the Glucosamine & Chondroitin I've been taking and I'm trying to stay under 20 carbs a day. That's an extra 5 carbs I haven't been counting! Ouch!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Creating a recipe for orange beef and thinking for a split second that the calories in the batch (serves 5-10) were correct. What were they, you ask? 9,800+.

Turns out that while one Tbsp of sesame oil is registered as 120 cals, 2 tsp of the same entry of sesame oil registers as 8,000+.