Quick question about weighing

Options
So when I weigh things I typically weigh them in a paper bowl that I'll either re-use or eat whatever item I just weighed out of it. I set the bowl on first and it weighs 8 grams so say whatever I'm weighing is supposed to be 20 grams I will figure the whole total should be 28 grams correct? I'm about 99% sure this is the right way but maybe I'm doing something wrong lol
..sorry if this is a dumb question

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    After you put the bowl on and before you put food in most scales have a tare button or a way to zero the scale. Then you just put the food in and it will give you exactly the weight with no math. If you do not have tare then yes your way is also correct.
  • mrsb461
    mrsb461 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    On my scales I put the empty bowl on, then zero the scales. Then I add whatever it is I want to weigh into the bowl. You're way does work too though.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a dumb question. You are correct. Most scales will allow you to "zero" out something on the scale. So if you put your bowl on the scale, hold the "zero" button and it will show the weight as 0.00 or something. When you take it off it will show that with nothing on the scale it now reads -0.08 or whatever. Check in to your scale and I'll be you can do that. It's what I do when weighing food so I can still use measuring cups, aluminum foil, paper towels, and parchment paper.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ive tried the zero-ing out but I swear my scale is *kitten* so I just tend to make it easier on myself and do it this way. As long as this way works its not a huge deal
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a tare button (but most do), you can also put your bowl or paper plate on the electronic scale before you turn it on and it will likely zero itself to include the weight of the bowl. I do this frequently with things like peanut butter - put the whole jar on, take out what I need, then I'll have -1oz or whatever.
    But what you have been doing is correct!
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're even weighing your food is a positive, so it sounds like you're doing what you're doing.