Early AM workouts - what gets you out of bed?

Options
2»

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't work out early much any more, because my schedule has changed, but I used to have to get up at 5:30 am every other day for workouts before class, and I had the same routine every day.

1) I always had my clothes ready to go the night before, along with my bag (when I worked out at the gym, I always packed a protein bar for after workout, an extra snack for later, a change of clothes, and water), because I found that if I have to search for things, I'm less likely to get up than if it's all ready to go.

2) I get dressed right away, first thing, because once I'm dressed, I have no excuse to get back into bed.

3) I eat my oatmeal right after I get dressed, and take my vitamins at the same time. I get it all out of the way, so that I'm not trying to rush out the door with food or other things.

4) Since my bag was all ready to go, I'd grab it and be out the door.

A trick I used to use when I wanted to wake up early was to drink a ton of water just before bed, because once I woke up, I would have to pee like a racehorse, and once I was out of bed, it was pretty much pointless to get back in. My grandfather told me that's how he used to wake up every morning when he worked on the farm as a kid, since they didn't have alarm clocks, haha.
  • raanedrop
    raanedrop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 to run at 4. I just have to do what I have to do. I have to be to work by 5. If I don't do this then I feel like garbage. Getting up early is worth it. If you do it with the right attitude and enthusiasm eventually you will get used to it. I know it sounds crazy but to me it's normal by now.

And it works. I'm down 102 pounds. It really works to sacrifice. Just make sure you get to bed early (unlike me, who's up way too late tonight, LOL).
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I am wondering if I will need to switch to morning workouts and I am SO not a morning person. Nice to see everyone's tips!
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have a lil monster so my workouts had to be scheduled first thing in the morning. Up at 4am, cardio workout, then it is the rest of my morning routine, out the door by 7am. I found that sleeping in my workout clothes, setting the alarm for 3:45am, having a workout that I absolutely LOVE and doing cardio v strength keeps me going all day long. Everyone is different so I hope you find what works for you. I do have some mornings that I roll out of bed not wanting to work out but I get 5 min into the workout and that feeling is gone!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a workout or fitness routine you enjoy doing will help motivate you to get out of bed early in the morning. Do something you love rather than something that feels like a chore. Also I've found that an early morning workout leaves me feeling energized for the rest of the day. I'm up at 3 or 4am to run or lift weight depending on the day. I actually look forward to my workouts when I set my alarm the night before.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I've been considering working out in the am and these will definitely help me get started :)
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I'm starting a new job soon and I've worked out if I want to get in an AM workout I'll have to get up at 5AM!!! :sad:

So... what are your best tricks for getting yourself out of bed in the morning to workout early? Other than coffee... because I don't like coffee...

How do you stay awake during work?

Do you cardio or strength in the morning? Or whatever you feel like?

Ugh, I hate getting up in the morning....I really do lol, but somehow during the week I manage to drag myself out of bed at 5:00 am to meet up with a friend to take our pups for a hike!

My best trick is to set my alarm in the hallway so that I actually have to physically get out of bed to turn it off. Also, if you have an iphone there is this fantastic app that you can download called sleep cycle. You plug your phone in to the charger, set the alarm for whatever time you want to get up, put the phone face down on the head of the bed and the app measures your levels of sleep and will wake you up in the lightest level of sleep. I was a huge skeptic but have been using it for about two months now, and I always wake up much more alert when I use this app regular than the traditional alarm clock:) Oh and its weird....but I sleep in my leggings and shirt I wear hiking, so I don't even have to get dressed in the morning....yup, its odd but definitely works for me!

How do I stay awake at work? Coffee lol.....but honestly depends how much sleep I get...sometimes Im super tired.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When I had to get up early to exercise I would sleep in my exercise clothes. All I had to do was put on my shoes and I was ready to go.
  • butterflykisses9
    Options
    I have to get up at 6 to make it to the gym at 630 and be done in time for work and class....Once you get in the hang of it you will be able to wake up I am still tired by 10pm and crash early!!!! But after a week you will see amazing results and not want to stop...it ifs the only time in the day to work out then your results (at least for me) will keep you going!!! I have lost about 5 pounds since I started am workouts.... (since thursday)
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    When I had to get up early to exercise I would sleep in my exercise clothes. All I had to do was put on my shoes and I was ready to go.

I actually think this is a really good idea!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I actually drink a HUGE glass of water so I'm forced to get up! I sleep early and fold my clothes up!

This seems to be quite popular. Will give it a go!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    also found that once I get into the early morning groove my body gets used to it. Even on my "days off" I still wake up at 4:45. :indifferent:

I completely agree! I have been waking up at 5:45 to 6 AM every morning even on vacations.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I am already used to getting up early to take my daughter to school and now that she's out for the summer, I get up at the same time and ride my bike to work.