To my brethren and sistren* converted from deep and woo

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    To friends that I have had numerous discussions on the matter and have even suggested this site and speaking to a nutritionist and YET they continue fall for such hype, I try to change the conversation. Seriously, I get a headache repeating the same information. By all means, I am not an expert( and I make it a point to tell my love ones that it's a personal journey not the holy grail) but some of the diet "beliefs" are just ludicrous and I just cannot understand why these beliefs aren't questioned. Regarding conversations with associates, I tend to only get in detailed or advice if solicit. If the person is adamant in these beliefs and suggests I try them, I may take the bait but usually I decline with a much needed facial expression and body language which basically illustrates my position...lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The world would be a better place if people would thoroughly research their claims from reputable information before they go handing it out to others.

Or just think about whether they have a reason to believe something is factual or not and be more careful in how you present it. I'm always amazed at how certain people act about things that they can't possibly have a good basis to believe is true.

But then it's more and more clear that people just believe what they want to believe and think others like them believe and seek out media that merely confirms their own beliefs, in all areas of life. I think this is a really negative trend for our society, so I like the idea that in some areas, at least, standards can be applied.

It's not really that uncommon. Some of the smartest people can suffer from "selective skepticism". Woo peddlers can be very convincing with their scientific-sounding big words, and some people who lack knowledge in that specific field will consider them an authority. Now once invested, people like to feel right so the gravitate towards knowledge that confirms their views. An opposing view can be seen as a personal attack and a veiled accusation of ignorance.

Then there is confirmation bias, "traditionalists" who only believe in older scientific knowledge and refuse to consider updated views, people who take certain scientific findings that need more research as facts and base their knowledge on only a handful of sources without looking at the big picture, People who misinterpret findings (or have them misinterpreted for them), The conspiracy theorists who feel empowered by the fact that they are on to "big X" and their schemes, people who gravitate towards the fantastical with wishful thinking, people who have an emotional attachment to certain issues, and the list goes on...

That's why I really don't like to try and dissuade someone from believing a paddler or similar. The issue is more complicated than simply correcting information, and might be too loaded for my liking and I don't need that. None of my business. Even here on the forums. Now if someone ASKS about a certain point of woo and appears to be searching rather than asserting, I'm more than happy to offer my opinion. Otherwise I either offer my personal experience or reply to someone else.

Indeed, intelligence is no predictor of skepticism or acceptance of scientific consensus. In many cases it even insulates against it as someone who is intelligent will convince themselves they're right because their intelligence will allow them to overcome someone else's evidence for the correct view, and reconfirm their view to one's self.

Yes, I would say this is my daughter's problem. She is very logical. After long observation I've decided what she is missing is a self-critical review, a skepticism, where even her own firmly held beliefs are put under scrutiny. I learned how to do this in Junior High in the debate club. There's nothing like having to argue both sides of an argument to help one see the flaws in one's own.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The world would be a better place if people would thoroughly research their claims from reputable information before they go handing it out to others.

Or just think about whether they have a reason to believe something is factual or not and be more careful in how you present it. I'm always amazed at how certain people act about things that they can't possibly have a good basis to believe is true.

But then it's more and more clear that people just believe what they want to believe and think others like them believe and seek out media that merely confirms their own beliefs, in all areas of life. I think this is a really negative trend for our society, so I like the idea that in some areas, at least, standards can be applied.

It's not really that uncommon. Some of the smartest people can suffer from "selective skepticism". Woo peddlers can be very convincing with their scientific-sounding big words, and some people who lack knowledge in that specific field will consider them an authority. Now once invested, people like to feel right so the gravitate towards knowledge that confirms their views. An opposing view can be seen as a personal attack and a veiled accusation of ignorance.

Then there is confirmation bias, "traditionalists" who only believe in older scientific knowledge and refuse to consider updated views, people who take certain scientific findings that need more research as facts and base their knowledge on only a handful of sources without looking at the big picture, People who misinterpret findings (or have them misinterpreted for them), The conspiracy theorists who feel empowered by the fact that they are on to "big X" and their schemes, people who gravitate towards the fantastical with wishful thinking, people who have an emotional attachment to certain issues, and the list goes on...

That's why I really don't like to try and dissuade someone from believing a paddler or similar. The issue is more complicated than simply correcting information, and might be too loaded for my liking and I don't need that. None of my business. Even here on the forums. Now if someone ASKS about a certain point of woo and appears to be searching rather than asserting, I'm more than happy to offer my opinion. Otherwise I either offer my personal experience or reply to someone else.

Indeed, intelligence is no predictor of skepticism or acceptance of scientific consensus. In many cases it even insulates against it as someone who is intelligent will convince themselves they're right because their intelligence will allow them to overcome someone else's evidence for the correct view, and reconfirm their view to one's self.

Excellent point!
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    After months of trying to push her advocare off on me and me getting slightly pissy about, now I just walk away when she starts about it to anyone.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I get told EVERY DAY that I'm wrong. "You can't eat like that! You'll get fat! You shouldn't snack. You shouldn't eat carbs. Carbs are evil! Eating pizza and bread will make you lose" Really conflicting I know.

What really angers me, is when I go to town looking for lactose and gluten free things. And everyone comments on Banting and gf in that crappy diet type of way. "Oh my friend lost so much weight on banting/by going gluten free!"

:neutral:

Yeah, I can't tolerate gluten or lactose because of IBS, it's not some stupid diet. That just really pisses me off. It's like an insult to me. Lol

Wait ... Banting is still a thing? I wrote a 20-page history paper about late 19th and early 20th century diet fads (and how religions got on board -- Christian Scientists, Adventists, etc.), and Banting showed up in that. Pretty much every food-related thing from that era is complete hooey, but Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" was one of the first attempts to tell people that they should watch what they eat. But still ... people still do Banting? Haven't we come a long way from then?

This sounds fascinating. Please sign me up for your newsletter.
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What??
    I'm curious to know how you react when you're around friends or families or coworkers who are spreading woo.

Do you:

A. Smile and nod (thanks rabbitjb)
    B. Call them out
    C. Leave the convo

If you call people out, how do they handle it?

I'm finding people are really resistant to letting go of their woo beliefs. Personally I was RELIEVED to find out that crap was fake. Lol.

What's your experience?