Is 1200 calories too low for me?

Options
Hi, I'm new to calorie counting and starting on 1200 calories, I'm 5ft 1 and weigh 154 pounds, I'd like to lose a stone, I'm in an active job where I not heavy files about and I'm up and down stairs alot and running around a notes library, 1200 leaves me feeling hungry.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you get the 1,200 calorie goal from MFP? Did you choose "active" as your setting on activity level? Did you choose an aggressive goal for weight loss (2 pounds a week)?
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I chose 2 pounds a week and was set at 1200 by mfp, I lost four pounds on 1200 cal last week although good wondered at what cost
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I chose 2 pounds a week and was set at 1200 by mfp, I lost four pounds on 1200 cal last week although good wondered at what cost

You weigh too little for such an aggressive goal.

Choose a more reasonable goal (.5-1 pound a week) and you'll have more calories each day.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Okay thanks
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Did you not care for the advice you got in your other thread on this topic?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35583107#Comment_35583107
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    I did read that but I got a bit confused with everything
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

With only 14 pounds to lose, losing 2 pounds a week is too aggressive. We discussed this with you two days ago and you said you were going to eat 1400 calories per day.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Okay sorry
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    It's one page of responses telling you that 1200 is too low for someone who only is trying to lose a stone and who has an active job.

You said in there that your TDEE calculated is around 2000 cals/day. As I suggested in that thread:
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    That was online calculated x

If I were in your situation I would either set my goal at 1400 and eat exercise calories back, or maybe 1600 and don't eat them back, give it a good 4-6 weeks and see what your results are. If you've lost 2-3 lbs in that time, sounds like you're on track. If you've lost more, may want to increase by 100 cals or so. If you've lost less, either drop it by 100 cals or make sure your logging is as accurate as possible.

Good luck!

I'm not saying that my advice is the end all be all, but the suggestions you got in that thread were largely consistent with this. I'm not sure what is so confusing that it merits a whole other thread? What are you expecting to hear today that would be different, since there was fairly high consensus in the other thread.
  • bgrojean1
    bgrojean1 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to calorie counting and starting on 1200 calories, I'm 5ft 1 and weigh 154 pounds, I'd like to lose a stone, I'm in an active job where I not heavy files about and I'm up and down stairs alot and running around a notes library, 1200 leaves me feeling hungry.

1,200 calories is usually what hospitals administer ---- a very strict but monitored diet. I would not recommend going that low as it might make your body think it is starving and result in holding on to every calorie.

Have to tried the initial changes like no sugar (except naturally occurring sugars), lots of protein and veggies, plenty of rest and water? If you are doing a lot of exercise, you probably need more calories than you realize.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    bgrojean1 wrote: »
    Here's the advice that you need - consult your doctor. Advice on the internet for the most part is flawed and opinionated. With regard to weight loss, following the herd could be dangerous to your health. You and your doctor know what's appropriate. MFP gave me a 1400 goal - my doctor gave me a 1600 min per day goal with 1700 being ideal. I've lost 77 lbs as of today over 298 days. My doctor was right - MFP was wrong.

She's got 14 lbs to lose. I'm not really sure that constitutes - consult a medical professional before you begin anything.

Also, MFP shouldn't be giving a male a calorie target of 1400 at all, I think the minimum it suggests for men is 1800, maybe 1600. But if you got 1400 then I think perhaps something was set up incorrectly at the time.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Are people missing the fact that she has less than 15 pounds to lose, and that she lost 4 lbs last week on 1200 cals? All she needs to do is set an appropriate goal in MFP of 0.5 lb/week, and track her food consistently. She can eat any food she likes and should be able to achieve her goal, she has mentioned no medical reason to cut out sugar, or make any other major changes in her diet.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I did read that but I got a bit confused with everything

Can you share exactly what is confusing you? It seems like you're asking variations of the same question over and over and it would be better for us to clear up whatever is confusing you.
  • LeslieCampbell35
    Options
    briegirl28 wrote: »

1,200 calories is usually what hospitals administer ---- a very strict but monitored diet. I would not recommend going that low as it might make your body think it is starving and result in holding on to every calorie.

Have to tried the initial changes like no sugar (except naturally occurring sugars), lots of protein and veggies, plenty of rest and water? If you are doing a lot of exercise, you probably need more calories than your

Starvation mode is a myth
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Maybe I need to set the reasonable goal of a slower loss than the fast loss x
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Yes.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Set a reasonable goal and, if your job is active, make sure your activity level is set to "active" (or at least "lightly active").
  • HG93022
    HG93022 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would set my activity level to "Active" and set a 1lb loss goal. After a month on that plan, adjust if the loss isn't consistent with a 1lb per week.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone