What size clothes for what size weight?

Options
JHALLISGETTINGsmall
JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
I am about 299lbs right now. I wear a size 24. I am trying to figure out where I want to be weight and clothes size. Aside from asking some stranger in a store - hey I'm dieting and want to be about your size- what size jeans do you wear... Any suggestions?

Like I was thinking a 12-14 but looked at some size 12 jeans in the store the other day and to me - they looked REALLY small? IDK.

Would love some of your thoughts.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and around 235 on a good day. When I exercise a lot, at that weight, I can wear a 16. When I stop exercising at that weight, I wear an 18/20
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    FWIW, I used to take care of a 26 year old 135 pound girl who was in a wheelchair. She was wearing a size 11/12 pant. I gave her a dress from Forever 21 in a 1x that did not fit me but fit her perfect. Height and weight have little to do with pant size.
  • peachykeen89
    peachykeen89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 199 and in a 14/16
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to guess sizes as it all depends on body shape. I was a size 22-22 in jeans at 299-315lbs., but a 24-26 or larger in tops because of my larger arms.

Now, at 277, I think I could fit a size 18 jeans at Lane Bryant. Though, due to different sizing of different brands and designers, I might still be a size 20-24 at Old Navy or a non-Plus size store.

My friend, who is 5'7 or 5'8 (I'm 5'6), is still able to buy jeans from Forever 21, where I don't think I've ever been able to buy clothes.

My goal is to be able to fit in a size 14 in regular sizes. That is the lowest Plus Size I remember when I was 210lbs and shopped at Sizes Unlimited. :/
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    At 245lbs I was a size 20. I think I was a size 16 at 200lbs - that sounds right, anyway. I was a size 12 at 180-ish lbs, a 10 at 170lbs, and I'm now a size 8 at 159lbs. I'm 5'6".
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    it really all depends on your height and body composition. I am 144 currently and I wear size 4 in pants and small-medium in tops.
    hc0zndgn3qth.jpg

when I was 175 I wore a size 12 in pants and large in tops
    zvz0cequ6ah2.jpg

and when I was 225 lbs I wore a 2x in tops and a 24w in pants
    c4x2wcqlkih8.jpg

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Your measurements are going to be different than someone else the same weight.
    Clothing size numbers vary by brand and are pretty meaningless. Set a weight goal based on what would be a healthy weight for your height. Look at a BMI chart/calculator or consult your doctor.

I set my goal weight based on the bmi chart and the weight I felt best at in the past- around 125 lbs. Kind of the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.

I looked at a size chart of a brand I like and based on how I've lost inches as I''ve lost pounds figure that when I get to my goal weight I'll likely be able to wear a size 8-10 pants. My waist should be about 28" and hips 39" to fit that size which I feel is reachable. I'm not going to buy clothes that size until I need them so clothing size doesn't really matter at this point.

I didn't need smaller clothes until I lost about 20 lbs so maybe figure possibly going down a clothing size every 15-30 lbs.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    12 is pretty much my forever size. I am 5'8" and I wear a 12 between 185 and 170. I haven't gotten down past 170 yet so I don't know how far down I would still be in a 12. I pop to a 14 right around 190. I am right around I wore an 18 or would squeeze into a 16 at 240.

I weigh about 176 in the photoy8ku17g73srm.jpg
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Your measurements are going to be different than someone else the same weight.
    Clothing size numbers vary by brand and are pretty meaningless. Set a weight goal based on what would be a healthy weight for your height. Look at a BMI chart/calculator or consult your doctor.

I set my goal weight based on the bmi chart and the weight I felt best at in the past- around 125 lbs. Kind of the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.

I looked at a size chart of a brand I like and based on how I've lost inches as I''ve lost pounds figure that when I get to my goal weight I'll likely be able to wear a size 8-10 pants. My waist should be about 28" and hips 39" to fit that size which I feel is reachable. I'm not going to buy clothes that size until I need them so clothing size doesn't really matter at this point.

I didn't need smaller clothes until I lost about 20 lbs so maybe figure possibly going down a clothing size every 15-30 lbs.

I agree with this...the fashion industry has changed sizes over and over and they can do that because there isn't much regulation. It's called vanity sizing. Size numbers change but the actual clothes do not. I would set a goal weight or what "look" you want. Plus clothing fits varies for everyone based on bmi, height, body structure, breast size, etc. For me I've started with just losing the physical weight. I want to be happy with how I see myself, but further down the road as I get closer to that, I will set more numerical goals, whether that be weight, bmi, or body measurements. Remember, you can always change your goals to fit your lifestyle. Just remember to make a goal and push yourself to step outside your comfort zone.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It depends on body type and shape, as others have said. Depending on the clothing company, I can wear an 18 or a 22 - it depends solely on the number they put in the label. Same goes for shirts. For some companies I can wear an XL, and others I need a 2XL.

It's very frustrating, and is why I RARELY go clothes shopping. I have a closet full of clothes ranging in various sizes and I wear what fits on that particular day. As I lose weight, I'll eventually be able to get into the smaller sized clothes I have - some with tags still on them because I bought them as "goal" clothes and then never made goal.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I learned my measurements and buy a lot of clothes on eBay. But doing measurements, it's like all my clothes are custom for me.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have no idea what my goal size is, TBH. At my heaviest, I needed 5x shirts, but I can't help noticing that 3x now swims on me. :/
    SW: 210 lbs
    CW: 180 last time I checked
    GW: 150 seems to be ideal for my 4'7" frame.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a range of sizes for similar reasons to what others have said. There doesn't seem to be an industry standard as far as what measurements are what size.

You can't go by weight since actual measurements can vary greatly person to person of the same weight.

Online shopping has options on many sites that go on measurements. I love that. I'm really tall for a woman, 6', so even when I'm at an ideal weight the size is all over the place. I was slender most my life so I know I'll be size 10 to 12ish mostly at 180lbs.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm cmphzqj5ityc.jpeg
    5'6, 125 & size 4 pants. Before my son I was 150 & size 4-6. Sizes depend on how your weight is distributed :)
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and 172lbs, I'm a size 12 (US) ish, most of my pants are 31/32 inch waists
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight is in my mid-section and upper body, so I am at about a 18 pants on a good day and depending on the pants brand. Tops are a 3x generally. ( I tend to buy to big tho if no one is with me to tell me how bad it looks too baggy) 5'5 222lbs right now.
  • 11713us
    11713us Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and weigh 114 pounds.I wear size 1-4 pants, for me it depends on who makes the pants, but in my opinion it depends on how tall you are and your weight distribution.Just depends on what you want and what is healthy.Even just being a size 18/20 is a big difference and will make you feel and look better.
  • MindyBruno
    MindyBruno Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and 170.9. I am wearing 12's and14's or a very loose 16 right now. Petite sized of course :)
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'6" - My SW was 216 and I was wearing a size 16, but those were TIGHT. I probably should have been wearing an 18, but was too stubborn to admit it. I was also usually wearing a 1X.

Now, at 201, my 16s fit great and my 1X shirts are too big.

My goal weight is 140. The last time I weighed 145 (10 years ago!) my jeans were a size 10, but I remember having a skirt in a size 5 (cried in the fitting room when that zipped up) and I wore it with a tshirt in an XS.

It so depends on the cut and the item. I carry my weight in my hips, so it makes sense that my jeans were bigger than a high-waisted A-line skirt.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I would wait til you're closer to your goal weight and size to really start attaching numbers/sizes to it. In addition to what everyone else mentioned about every body type being different and carrying weight in different places, it's hard to even know what weight you will feel best at and able to maintain at, and it's easier to figure that out when you get closer.

Just focus on one size at a time as you lose weight and enjoy the excitement of getting new clothes as you get smaller!