Wait...your toenails can fall off if you run regularly?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It does not happen to everyone.

Shoes, where you run, how you move your body, how your feet land, etc, etc, etc... There are many variables. Some people will be more prone to it than others.

I've been running for 3.5 years now, and never lost a toe nail. I got one black toe nail once after a race with a lot of steep downhills (my toes kept hitting the front of the toe box, unavoidable for me in that situation). Still didn't lose the nail.

It's not a given, so don't freak out.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm a longtime runner and have only lost one nail. It didn't turn black and fall off, it just kind of flaked off (just the top full layer). It wasn't painful though!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Trail runners see it more regularly than road runners, s steep, fast downhills do mean a lot more impact on the toes. As upthread, shoe fit is a big issue. My race shoes are bigger than my training shoes andd have a wider toe box, as I tend to thrash it more in races.

I've had it happen once, in a race that had some very technical, fast, rock strewn downhill stages.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have been running for more than 10 years and I've never lost a nail, or even had one turn colors. I always keep my nails short and make sure my shoes have plenty of toe room. In regular shoes I'm a size 8, but in running shoes I'm at least a size 9, depending on shoe brand.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For many runners losing a toenail is a rite of passage, like VioletRojo I've been running for about 9 years now (max so far half-marathon) and haven't lost one yet.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've never lost a toe nail from running. Dropping something heavy on my toe yes, not running.

My understanding is that it is caused my improperly fitting shoes and may or may not be exacerbated by crappy socks.

If you run long distances in cotton socks you're asking for unpleasant things. Even at my ideal weight (220lbs), at 6'4" I'm heavy for a runner. I'll have other issues with my feet way before my toenails ever get into the mix.

I've been very fortunate as when I really got involved in long distances I had someone get me to go to a specialty running store. They actually took care of me, got me to spend less money than I wanted on shoes by putting me in the right shoe and then turned around and made me spend way more money on a pair of socks than I ever thought I'd spend.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I run both indoors on a treadmill and outside when rather is decent. I have good shoes and went to the "Running Room" for years to have them watch my gait and help me choose well. I choose a roomy toe box to protect the toe tips.

But - as soon as I run outside, I lose a specific toenail. Not on the treadmill. Who know why... But, the toe gets really painful so I wear a silicone toe cover. You can grab them at the pharmacy in the section with foot supports or diabetic hygiene. Those toe covers have completly saved my feet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my running shoes are a full size bigger than 'normal' shoes. nice and roomy in toe box and much snugger/ tighter on the rest of the shoe.

the shoes make a difference.

i also dont think i run long/ far enough for it to be an issue and if i did lose toenails that would end my running cause i have a sandal fettish in the summer.... LOLOL

#priorities :P
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It happens to some people... just depends on your shoes, your feet, your biodynamics, the terrain, and how short you keep your nails.

I run/walk/hike 40-60 miles a week and have never lost a nail. Very thankful for that!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed. I've lost up to 8 of them in one long-distance trail run. I stopped that *kitten* because of it.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I used to lose them while playing basketball. I make sure I have lots of toe space now for running
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I currently have the toenails on my both my big toes regrowning back. Lost them on a 100km run last September. Also had one fall off after a 50km run before that.
    For me it's normally down to distance, don't have any issues up to marathon distance but over that my toenails seem to get more of a battering.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yuck, one more reason not to run ☺
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose a toenail until I started trail running. The downhills push my toes into the front of the box, no matter what size shoe I wear. Add 3-4 hours on the trail, it's a lot of pounding!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've lost three all on my right foot. My right foot is over half a size bigger than my left, so there's less room for them in my shoes. The first was from actually having shoes the wrong size, the second and third was from not trimming my toenails properly during a point where I was increasing my mileage.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm on the verge of losing my first. It's an honor
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! The toebox suggestions make a lot of sense. Asics is my sneaker of choice, and I can say they're quite roomy. It's also nice to know that, even if it happens, it's not overly traumatic and I'd be in good company. I'm calming down now. :smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Yeah, agree with others, I've been running marathon and up distances for 12 years. Never lost a toenail due to racing (lost a toenail due to dropping my luggage on my foot the day after a race when I couldn't control my muscles, but I only indirectly blame running for that).
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Get regular pedi's...keeps the issue at bay. Skip the polish & the removal of callous.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted shoes and socks are very important.

When I first started running, I bruised my big toe by running downhill in shoes that were too large (those had been by a running store, but were 2 full sizes larger than my normal shoes and average width instead of narrow--I never went back to that running store after this incident). It never fell off, but there was a pocket underneath the nail for quite some time (3-4 years) and at one point I acquired a minor bacterial infection (pseudomonas, with the distinctive green tint) in the pocket--easily treatable with antibiotics though.

I lost one of my smaller toenails while training for my first half marathon. During one of my long runs my sock was rubbing in a weird way and I never stopped to fix it. The cuticle had what looked like a blood blister and eventually the entire nail fell off as a new one grew underneath in its place. One of my other toenails is kind of thickened, but it hasn't turned black yet.

Between running, skiing, yoga, and surfing I'm pretty hard on my toes--my pedicurist doesn't even blink at this kind of stuff anymore. I just stick to dark toenail polish and realize that I'll never be a foot model.