Large Bust Size

Options
Does anyone have any advice for loosing weight in your bust? When I gain that is the first place the weight seems to go. I heard aerobic exercise is the way to go but I just want to know how accurate that is or if there are other good options. Wanting to avoid having to get breast reduction surgery. Thank You for the help!

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, it is the first place I gain, but also the first place I lose! I suppose it depends on how much weight you have to lose. Not knowing much I would suggest to eat healthy, exercise ( cardio and strength training). I do suggest investing some money on a good sports bra. It can be quite painful bouncing around with large breasts. There are lots of great bras on the market anymore. I have gone through a few and found that the full support from Lululemon is great and was a lot cheaper than the Under Armour. Maybe some of the ladies here can tell us what kind they wear? I am always looking for a great sports bra and you can't have too many!!
  • bizzybeathatsme
    bizzybeathatsme Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ive been experiencing the same problem... i was told to take BARRE FUSION classes.. but, honestly, i found home exercise was what i enjoyed most..upper body work outs... push ups.. shoulder stretches..etc..
    ive always been big busted.. but, wen i blew up to 254lbs.. i went up to an (H)cup.. who knew they even made such sizes.. i was so ashamed.. i began to work on reducing my boobs with exercise..
    now,my CW 210.. and im still DD.. but, im on my way.. hope this helps a bit..
    "u can do this!!!!!"
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is not possible. Where you'll lose and when is up to your genetics.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can only lose weight and it comes off where it comes off, there is no way to target a specific area.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Boobs are made up mostly of fat cells. If you reduce overall fat, you should lose some of it in your bust. However, you can't spot reduce, and how much you lose in your bust vs. somewhere else in your body is going to be unique for you. Aerobic exercise PLUS eating at a deficit is one way to reduce fat. But you can't do it just with exercise, you have to eat at a deficit.
  • kc116206
    kc116206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You for the replies! I am currently 5'3 weighing 174 and I am a J Cup. Looking to lose about 40 pounds. I started at 185 created a calorie deficit and work out five days a week, I noticed my bra fitting better than it had so I suppose it's a start. As for the sports bra comment I could totally use some tips on where to find a good one. I wear two to the gym now :-(
  • Alohabeaches
    Alohabeaches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @kc116206 I have the exact same problem, and want to avoid breast reduction surgery too! So every time I'm at the gym I squeeze in a Set of chest excercises. And It's been working really well for me, down from a DD to a tight D last summer. My goal is to try to see if I could get down to a C. At first, I was afraid I'd get a bigger chest if I did chest excercises. But my trainer explained, there's breast tissue, but then I'd acquired a layer of fat around the breast (As that is where I tend to gain fat) so by isolating the pectoral muscles it's burning fat. So that is where I've been focusing. My favorite excercise is: the dumbbell flies. Followed by a close second: the dumbbell press! Another trainer friend recently showed me a new one but I don't know the name of it. & it targets the underarm and small muscles along side of the chest/breast, (or in other words it helps minimize breast spill over). I'll ask her the name of it & Lyk! Here is a trainer showing a demo of the pec flies: (he also demonstrates the dumbbell press). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eozdVDA78K0
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You have no control over where you gain or lose first, it's all up to genetics. All you can do is reduce you overall body fat and let you body decide where it's going to take it from and when.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    @kc116206 I have the exact same problem, and want to avoid breast reduction surgery too! So every time I'm at the gym I squeeze in a Set of chest excercises. And It's been working really well for me, down from a DD to a tight D last summer. My goal is to try to see if I could get down to a C. At first, I was afraid I'd get a bigger chest if I did chest excercises. But my trainer explained, there's breast tissue, but then I'd acquired a layer of fat around the breast (As that is where I tend to gain fat) so by isolating the pectoral muscles it's burning fat. So that is where I've been focusing. My favorite excercise is: the dumbbell flies. Followed by a close second: the dumbbell press! Another trainer friend recently showed me a new one but I don't know the name of it. & it targets the underarm and small muscles along side of the chest/breast, (or in other words it helps minimize breast spill over). I'll ask her the name of it & Lyk! Here is a trainer showing a demo of the pec flies: (he also demonstrates the dumbbell press). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eozdVDA78K0

Your trainer is feeding you a line. Exercising a specific muscle does not burn fat straight off of its adjacent fat stores.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @kc116206 I have the exact same problem, and want to avoid breast reduction surgery too! So every time I'm at the gym I squeeze in a Set of chest excercises. And It's been working really well for me, down from a DD to a tight D last summer. My goal is to try to see if I could get down to a C. At first, I was afraid I'd get a bigger chest if I did chest excercises. But my trainer explained, there's breast tissue, but then I'd acquired a layer of fat around the breast (As that is where I tend to gain fat) so by isolating the pectoral muscles it's burning fat. So that is where I've been focusing. My favorite excercise is: the dumbbell flies. Followed by a close second: the dumbbell press! Another trainer friend recently showed me a new one but I don't know the name of it. & it targets the underarm and small muscles along side of the chest/breast, (or in other words it helps minimize breast spill over). I'll ask her the name of it & Lyk! Here is a trainer showing a demo of the pec flies: (he also demonstrates the dumbbell press).

Um, no. Breast tissue IS fat. Lifting weights is great for breasts because it strengthens the muscle UNDERNEATH the breast, which tends to give them some lift.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    those chest exercises are all great and i love them, but they dont specifically burn the fat around the breast area. Find a new trainer if he really believes this.
    I am a power lifter and spend two days a week focusing on chest exercises and i have a DD, there ain't no fat burning off me there from my lifts.
    REgarding sports bras, i like the ones from victoria secret, also under armour makes strong ones. And then there is always the age old trick of wearing two sports bras.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you are lucky, you will lose in your bust at the same rate as you lose in your ribcage as you lose weight, otherwise you end up going up in the cup which is even worse for finding bras.

For sports bras, don't bother going to Victoria's Secrets.

I'm 5' 2.5" & 163 lbs & a UK 34J & currently using the Shock Absorber Women's Multi Sport Max Support Sports Bra. It only goes up to an HH cup. I bought it anyway because I read that sometimes it helps lock things down when you get a size too small & also it was cheaper than my next choice which was Enell. I can get into it & it does work pretty well. There is some movement, but it is not painful or bothersome in any way. It is supposed to be an encapsulation bra, but it works like a compression bra for me, & I can even jump on a mini trampoline. It is NOT cute gym-wear & requires a large t-shirt over top because I have spillage at the cleavage & out the arm holes.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the Enell. I have heard from other top-heavy ladies that they work great. They will also custom make a bra for you if you don't fit into their standard sizes, which I don't--my band measurement puts me in one & my bust measurement puts me in another. They charge extra for a custom bra but will store your pattern for you. http://enell.com/custom-fit.html I also like that it fastens in the front. I am not at all flexible & have a hard time getting into the Shock Absorber--especially the top clasp.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have lost 53 lbs and only lost weight in the rib cage. I have gone up in cup size. Breasts are the same size as they were when I started and I'm 5'4 and 147 lbs now. Some women don't lose in this area. My boyfriend's not complaining. :-)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce but that is the first place my weight went from LOL

where you lose from is purely genetics....
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @kc116206 I have the exact same problem, and want to avoid breast reduction surgery too! So every time I'm at the gym I squeeze in a Set of chest excercises. And It's been working really well for me, down from a DD to a tight D last summer. My goal is to try to see if I could get down to a C. At first, I was afraid I'd get a bigger chest if I did chest excercises. But my trainer explained, there's breast tissue, but then I'd acquired a layer of fat around the breast (As that is where I tend to gain fat) so by isolating the pectoral muscles it's burning fat. So that is where I've been focusing. My favorite excercise is: the dumbbell flies. Followed by a close second: the dumbbell press! Another trainer friend recently showed me a new one but I don't know the name of it. & it targets the underarm and small muscles along side of the chest/breast, (or in other words it helps minimize breast spill over). I'll ask her the name of it & Lyk! Here is a trainer showing a demo of the pec flies: (he also demonstrates the dumbbell press).

Um, no. Breast tissue IS fat. Lifting weights is great for breasts because it strengthens the muscle UNDERNEATH the breast, which tends to give them some lift.

You can't spot reduce. Lifting could actually slightly increase the size as you increase the size of the muscles underneath, pushing the breast further forward. For most women, the breast on the side of their dominant hand (right breast for right-handed women) is slightly larger, because the muscle underneath is larger from being worked more often.

If you want smaller breasts, you have to generally lose fat and hope it comes off there. A lot of that will come down to genetics.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

This was going to be the advice I'd offer. Nothing you can do to spot reduce, but strengthening the muscle underneath your bust has got to help in regards to carrying it around etc. Really, all lifting would be good, strengthen core, back etc.

• Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    kc116206 wrote: »
    Thank You for the replies! I am currently 5'3 weighing 174 and I am a J Cup. Looking to lose about 40 pounds. I started at 185 created a calorie deficit and work out five days a week, I noticed my bra fitting better than it had so I suppose it's a start. As for the sports bra comment I could totally use some tips on where to find a good one. I wear two to the gym now :-(

My sports bra is a shock absorber, I did find that I needed a 38 instead of my usual 36 but other than that they are great, nothing moves.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Even at my lightest, I had abnormally-large breasts. At my heaviest, they were/are over a US 42J. I have been too ashamed and embarrassed and angry to measure. I can't sit in all booths because my breasts will sit on the table. I can't cross my arms. I can't bend over and reach my feet because my breasts are in the way. People accidentally touch my breasts all the time, which is embarrassing for them and me. It's always embarrassing to hug people. Clothes don't fit right. Getting into a bra is time-consuming, awkward, and often painful. If I could spot reduce, I would devote every waking hour to it!

Now that I am done nursing babies, I plan to have a reduction. I have gigantomastia and my breasts will be too big no matter how much I weigh. I am waiting until I get to goal for two reasons: 1) surgery is riskier the heavier you are, and 2) I want to do this right once. I would hate to have the surgery, finish losing weight, and be saggy. I've put off surgery my whole teen and adult life to be sure I could nurse my kids someday and now I want to look the best and most normal I can.

For now, it's multiple sports bras (can't afford Enell - keeping regular bras updated is already too expensive) and working on all-over fat loss. I truly wish spot reduction were possible.

Godess bras are awesome regular bras and Enell for sport. Good luck!
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Agree with what people said about not spot reducing. I take an arms/abs class and for me if I use even the lightest weight doing chest exercises they get bigger so now I do them weight free but focus on muscle contractions to still tighten the muscles underneath.