Getting So Frustrated... Just Wanna Cry

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I make sure I get 15,000 steps in and eat a fruit (apple, pear, etc.) with every meal. I think the extra fiber is helping to clear the weight out of my system.

Eating a piece of fruit with every meal isn't going to help you if it pushes you over your calorie limit. Extra fiber does not "clear the weight out of your system" - eating at a calorie deficit insures weight loss.

• norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Try some strength training, lifting weights three times per week can change the tone of your body even if the scale doesn't move. Clothes fit better and even may go down a size without the scale changing. Plus the effects of muscle use can last 2-3 days after the event occurred where cardio effects last only as long as you are doing the cardio. Just my 2 cents added to the conversation.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Have you taken measurements? The scale isn't always the greatest indicator
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    Kristin,

If everything you wrote is exactly true, and you are reporting accurate numbers, then your problem is what you're eating, now how much.

What type of diet are you following, and for how long have you been at it?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I looked at your diary, and I know you don't want to hear it, but you need to fix your logging. You didn't log dinner 4 days of the two weeks I checked, and one day you only logged breakfast.

50 grams of rice is a quarter-cup. A quarter-cup is like a ping-pong ball. Are you truly eating that little?

Do you use a food scale?

This
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    sbermud wrote: »
    Upping calories will never help weight loss. That's a myth.
    If I were you, I would up my calories to 1,600 and see what happens. I find that if I eat below my BMR, I will not lose weight. So, I try to eat right at or a little above my BMR.

There is an entire group dedicated to eating more to lose weight. It does happen. It could be because of a few reasons - like people are more honestly with logging because of the higher calorie intake, or they are more satiated so they don't end up falling of the wagon as often. There can even be situations where there is a hormone response. Some people find taking a short diet break also has a similar effect.

That said, I do think step #1 is to be absolutely sure logging is on point. Second, I do agree with others that the Fitbit is giving a high number.

Upping calories actually can work for people who:

a) have been using too large a deficit
    b) been dieting a long time

It was one of the big revelations of my training career that my body was a lot leaner at higher calories but this is probably because my calories had been so low for so long and certain hormone levels had been impacted.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I tell all my clients that if your Villus has not been cleansed then you will yoyo regardless of what you do. I suggest drinkable aloe. A product that I distribute tastes good and is not chock full of sugars. Let me know if you would like to try this. You can also purchase at the stores, however they are usually plain and reminds me of drinking straight Gin lol

Your villus is what absorbed the nutrients as food passes. Picture your digestive system like a kitchen sink. When grease goes down, regardless of what we are doing now, and we never clean it...its slugged up. Thats our digestive system and when it is slugged perse, you are not absorbing all of your nutrition from the foods and putting your body in starvation mode. You will always yoyo diet until you cleanse that.

Yeah, I'll stick with the gin thanks. There's no woo in that.

But depending on how much you drink, maybe a little bit of "woohoo!" in it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Kristin,

If everything you wrote is exactly true, and you are reporting accurate numbers, then your problem is what you're eating, now how much.

What type of diet are you following, and for how long have you been at it?

This...

...makes no sense.

None at all.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    I tell all my clients that if your Villus has not been cleansed then you will yoyo regardless of what you do. I suggest drinkable aloe. A product that I distribute tastes good and is not chock full of sugars. Let me know if you would like to try this. You can also purchase at the stores, however they are usually plain and reminds me of drinking straight Gin lol

Your villus is what absorbed the nutrients as food passes. Picture your digestive system like a kitchen sink. When grease goes down, regardless of what we are doing now, and we never clean it...its slugged up. Thats our digestive system and when it is slugged perse, you are not absorbing all of your nutrition from the foods and putting your body in starvation mode. You will always yoyo diet until you cleanse that.

That is the most ridiculous pile of woo I've read all day. Wow.

You should not be allowed to have clients. That doesn't make any sense at all. A Villus is a finger like projection sticking up into the lumen of small intestine in order to increase the surface area - the small intestine is composed of millions of little absortpive cells that create the villi and the microvilli. You're somehow implying that she has coated her villi like an oil spill over every single cell and no absorption/very little absorption takes place? I'm going to overlook your ludicrous "starvation mode" theory and from a straight vitamin and glucose standpoint she would be dead by now if that were the case - or she would have SEVERE symptoms that would put her in an ER. I'm also curious to know your mechanism behind drinking aloe that will get thru the acidity of the stomach no problem and wipe away all this horrible "slug" that's built up the length of the small intestine allowing for minimal absorption. Try to use anatomical and actual science to explain how aloe fixes this and not unicorn poop and fairy farts.

For fun - why don't you look up a Jejunoileal Bypass surgery - an EXTREME weight loss surgery performed where part of the small intestine is removed - this results in a TRUE malabsorption of food. Some of the side effects include chronic diarrhea, anemia, osteoporosis, electrolyte imbalance, and acute liver and kidney failure.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    Something isn't adding up here. Some points:

1) you almost definitely aren't burning 2500-2800 calories per day as an active 5"7 woman. Its more likely to be 1800-2200 maximum

2) you are most likely under-recording calories through no fault of your own. I see this time and time again. I had lunch with a friend recently we both track macros. We ate the same thing and he asked me how I recorded it. I put approx 800 cals and he put 400!! He was waaaaaaay off and I showed him why (I have been tracking macros for 3 years and he has been doing it about 3 months)

3) are you tracking not only what you eat but every single thing that goes in your mouth? all drinks, sauces, condiments - they all count and the calories add up fast

4) how much protein are you eating? At 178lbs you need a minimum of 120g of protein. If not, you are probably simply eating too much carbs and fat to lose weight - macro ratios make a huge difference and never listen to anyone who says they don't

5) stress seems to cause fat retention. Stress = cortisol. Cortisol cause absolutely cause people to retain fat so try as best you can to relax about this

6) if you really are recording everything accurately (which I suspect isn't the case through no fault of your own), then I suggest you increase calories slowly and gradually (over a few weeks) up to 2000 and then slowly and gradually (over a few weeks) bring them back down. This should stimulate the metabolism and kickstart the weightloss.

7) VERY IMPORTANT: it might seem paradoxical but you have to like your body, even a little bit, as it is now in order for it be be okay for it to change. Just try every day giving your body a little liking, a little love, a little appreciation. It's the best, most incredible thing you will ever own and if you don't appreciate it, it will often "push back" against your weight loss goals. I know this is the least scientific thing you have ever heard lol but the "science" of weightloss is actually still in the dark ages (despite the recent upsurge in fat loss studies and the much-improved quality of those studies now), relatively speaking, and this point about self-love is very real.

"The firm but kind mindset is the effective one"

"You cannot hate your way to a positive outcome"

Good luck

Well, you were good through #3, anyway...

4, 5, 6 and 7 will be revealed to you when you have been helping people with this for more than 20 years as I have ;)

Then why are you on MFP (with only 35 posts)?

Joined very recently thinking I could help some folks
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    I am 5'7", 143 lbs and have been losing (albeit a bit slowly) eating about 1600-1750 calories a day with strength training and minimal cardio. You most likely are not logging as well as you think. Tighten it up.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

theres a whole lot of it allll over this thread .....
  • I have always been very active. Even though I ran 20 -25 miles a week, I gradually put on extra weight even though I was counting calories and eating salads and skipping meals. I finally had enough and changed my nutrition. I started having 2 meal replacement shakes a day and I started losing weight. I couldn't believe it. I am 48. I then added nutritional cleansing one day a month and I even lost more. I have put one lean muscle and I feel so energetic! Best health decision I have made for myself. My nutrition is not a diet but a lifestyle for me. I have kept the weight off for a year!!!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I have always been very active. Even though I ran 20 -25 miles a week, I gradually put on extra weight even though I was counting calories and eating salads and skipping meals. I finally had enough and changed my nutrition. I started having 2 meal replacement shakes a day and I started losing weight. I couldn't believe it. I am 48. I then added nutritional cleansing one day a month and I even lost more. I have put one lean muscle and I feel so energetic! Best health decision I have made for myself. My nutrition is not a diet but a lifestyle for me. I have kept the weight off for a year!!!

Are you trying to sell us these shakes because you're going around posting this exact thing in other threads. Very few people want to live on shakes forever and cleansing isn't a thing.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member

You have to give credit for the amount of woo, though. Haven't seen the like of this since I've been here.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I've skimmed through and haven't seen where anyone mentioned this, but did you say you lost 18 lbs the first month? So you are actually losing 2.25 lbs a week, if I understand correctly. Congratulations! :)
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I don't know about fitbits but I don't trust them, and I don't want one. My MIL's says she burns 1500 calories taking a walk (under an hour.) ~apologies to people who love their fitbits~

You know the display shows your total calories including BMR for that day so far, right, not just the calories for recent activity?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I've skimmed through and haven't seen where anyone mentioned this, but did you say you lost 18 lbs the first month? So you are actually losing 2.25 lbs a week, if I understand correctly. Congratulations! :)

Whoops- forgot to turn off the italics ;)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    sbermud wrote: »
    Upping calories will never help weight loss. That's a myth.
    If I were you, I would up my calories to 1,600 and see what happens. I find that if I eat below my BMR, I will not lose weight. So, I try to eat right at or a little above my BMR.

I must be a mythical creature! :blush:

Seriously - I went from the standard 1200 cals, lost some then stalled, and hated it, upped a bit more - finally figured out that I needed to eat MORE - not more as in more calories than I've ever eaten - duh, that's how I became overweight in the first place! The Eat More To Weigh Less crowd says eat more than the bare minimum, like at your BMR or lower - eat the MOST amount of cals you can while still in deficit and lose weight.

Which is exactly what I've done for more than three years - lost the weight, more importantly quite a bit of FAT and INCHES, dropped several sizes, and have kept it off for 3+ years now. And I'm 47 years old, 5'8", and I eat 1800-2000 cals a day.

Give your body the fuel it needs - it may not be rapid weight loss, but it's sustainable, and I'll take that any day over rapid, temporary results.

Also, my drinkable aloe of choice would be tequila. Which I still enjoy weekly. And lost the weight doing so. And have kept it off. And my villus is super happy, I'm sure. :wink:
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm no expert, but something about this thread really struck me: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

It appears that for many people, the key to getting over a plateau is not eating less, but eating more!

I don't mean to be argumentative, but eating more (up to maintenance) *at times* during your weight loss journey appears to have scientific merit.