I am so lost!!!! Please help me!! These numbers are so different

Options

Replies

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    brentsgurl wrote: »
    Mine is set exactly like yours but i have steps set at 5k. It gave me 841 calories for the day. Doesn't make sense

The problem with the FitBit calories is it starts the day like that, and gives you more as you walk. It assumes you're going to sit on your tail all day and gives you those calories, which are a deficit from your BMR. It then makes you earn your food. If you use the calorie allotment on MFP, you'll find it gives you a more normal amount of calories per day upfront on the assumption (based on the activity settings you provide it) that you will earn them. If you've hooked it up to sync with your FitBit, it will subtract calories if you're not moving, and it will give you more if you're moving more than it is expecting of you.

It works out the same, it just makes you feel better if you follow the MFP number.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Mine is set exactly like yours but i have steps set at 5k. It gave me 841 calories for the day. Doesn't make sense

The problem with the FitBit calories is it starts the day like that, and gives you more as you walk. It assumes you're going to sit on your tail all day and gives you those calories, which are a deficit from your BMR. It then makes you earn your food. If you use the calorie allotment on MFP, you'll find it gives you a more normal amount of calories per day upfront on the assumption (based on the activity settings you provide it) that you will earn them. If you've hooked it up to sync with your FitBit, it will subtract calories if you're not moving, and it will give you more if you're moving more than it is expecting of you.

It works out the same, it just makes you feel better if you follow the MFP number.

This is good point. You don't actually know how many calories fitbit is going to give you for the day until 11:59 p.m.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    Options

This is good point. You don't actually know how many calories fitbit is going to give you for the day until 11:59 p.m.

Exactly. That's why I use MFP and not the FitBit for calorie determination. It's too confusing.
  • brentsgurl
    brentsgurl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" 154 currently. I am losing less then .5 pounds a week. I've been eating between 1100-1200 calories a day. I weigh and measure everything too. The reason I am trying to figure out my actual burn calories a day is because I'd like to up my exercise but I will have no way to figure out what my deficit is because my fitbit is giving me such strange numbers. I can't earn any calories because MFP has me burning 1673 a day set at sedentary...and FITBIT has me only burning 1314. So anything up to 1673 I won't get credit for. Meaning I would need to burn 360 calories to even get me to what MFP has me burning....I don't understand why fitbit and MFP have such differences in numbers when they are set the same.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Exactly. That's why I use MFP and not the FitBit for calorie determination. It's too confusing.

Me, too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Did you go back and make sure you have everything entered in your Fitbit correctly? The Fitbit number sounds off.
  • brentsgurl
    Options
    I haven't logged any calories and it's telling me right now i have 864 to eat for the day. MFP hasn't synced my food yet...otherwise i'd have nothing left and i only ate 428 calories for the day so far
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    Options
    I am 5'2" 154 currently. I am losing less then .5 pounds a week. I've been eating between 1100-1200 calories a day. I weigh and measure everything too. The reason I am trying to figure out my actual burn calories a day is because I'd like to up my exercise but I will have no way to figure out what my deficit is because my fitbit is giving me such strange numbers. I can't earn any calories because MFP has me burning 1673 a day set at sedentary...and FITBIT has me only burning 1314. So anything up to 1673 I won't get credit for. Meaning I would need to burn 360 calories to even get me to what MFP has me burning....I don't understand why fitbit and MFP have such differences in numbers when they are set the same.

I just explained why they are different. MFP gives you the calories upfront, the FitBit makes you earn them before it will show them to you.

Use MFP. Ignore FitBit. Calm down. MFP's numbers are well proven. If you input your correct height, weight, and activity level, you can trust the number. Use the FitBit to track your activity, not your food.
  • brentsgurl
    Options
    ergdhwlkc6h1.png
  • brentsgurl
    Options
    As u can see I only ate 1157 but it's telling me I'm over 321 calories for the day
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    As u can see I only ate 1157 but it's telling me I'm over 321 calories for the day

Call Fitbit. They have awesome customer support.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ergdhwlkc6h1.png

Try looking at it right before bed.

Like other users told you fitbit starts you at 0 and ads calories as time goes on. MFP give you all your cals up front (except exercise cals)
  • erickirb
    Options

Your day isn't over yet.... You still have hours and hours that your fitbit will keep adding burned calories to your day.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I believe it is because FitBit will end up giving you more calories as the day goes on and after you exercise, etc. See if that is what happens for you. When I was wearing one that is what was happening for me. I'd eat breakfast and already be over in calories (cause I usually eat alot in the AM vs the PM....just the way I naturally am these days).
  • brentsgurl
    Options

I just explained why they are different. MFP gives you the calories upfront, the FitBit makes you earn them before it will show them to you.

Use MFP. Ignore FitBit. Calm down. MFP's numbers are well proven. If you input your correct height, weight, and activity level, you can trust the number. Use the FitBit to track your activity, not your food.

I won't get any credit for activity......this is why i'm concerned.....if MFP tells me i'm burning 1700 and fitbit 1300 I will have to do at least 400 calories of exercise before I get credit. I'm not confused and I get your point...but the numbers won't allow me to earn anything extra....if anything it will tell me i'm in the negative with exercise...even though i'm not! make sense?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Your day isn't over yet.... You still have hours and hours that your fitbit will keep adding burned calories to your day.

That picture was from yesterday.

• erickirb
    Options

at 2:18 pm in the afternoon. she would have burned cals between 2:18 and bedtime, I would assume.
  • brentsgurl
    Options
    okay...so fitbit said i was over 321 calories yesterday when i ate 1157...meaning i should have eaten 836 calories to have a 500 calorie deficit.....my BMR is 1340 and trust me I got out of bed yesterday....and walked almost 7000 steps....
  • erickirb
    Options
    okay...so fitbit said i was over 321 calories yesterday when i ate 1157...meaning i should have eaten 836 calories to have a 500 calorie deficit.....my BMR is 1340 and trust me I got out of bed yesterday....and walked almost 7000 steps....

Why does it show 2:18 pm, did you go to bed at 3 pm? you didn't burn any cals from 2:18 until you went to bed???
  • brentsgurl
    Options

at 2:18 pm in the afternoon. she would have burned cals between 2:18 and bedtime, I would assume.

the pic was taken today at 2:18 of my stats from yesterday....