Is this ok?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched it, but I heard once (in weight watchers) that a lack of food can have the same affect as eating too many. It was something about the body goes into a "shock" and starts to store up what it's getting for fear of not getting enough to "survive". If I'm wrong on this, I'm sorry for bad information, but to me it makes sense.

Also, wtg on the 3.8. 1-2 lbs a week is amazing and the best rate for it to stay off in the future! :)

Starvation mode is a myth, your body won't store fat in a deficit. Think of fat starving children in third world counties.....there aren't any.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I haven't researched it, but I heard once (in weight watchers) that a lack of food can have the same affect as eating too many. It was something about the body goes into a "shock" and starts to store up what it's getting for fear of not getting enough to "survive". If I'm wrong on this, I'm sorry for bad information, but to me it makes sense.

Also, wtg on the 3.8. 1-2 lbs a week is amazing and the best rate for it to stay off in the future! :)

This is not accurate. While the metabolism does slow slightly in true starvation, the effect is not enough to prevent weight loss, only to slow the rate somewhat. The effect is no longer observed once the person refeeds. And this does not refer to the kind of restriction that someone dieting generally achieves.

This is why actual famine victims/anorexics/stomach cancer patients are skeletally thin, not chubby.

It is absolutely true however that very low calorie diets can lead to muscle loss, which reduces your BMR as well as your ability to do the kinds of movement that burn calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you are losing a little over a pound a week, you are losing at a good pace. Losing faster is not realistic.

The problem I see is not your average calories (likely a little higher than you think) as weight loss is respectable, but weekends must be a lot of calories to make up for several days at 600-800.

Lifestyle changes and maintenance come to mind. How will you manage the weight you lose using this method? Many people will have a cheat day....but they typically don't eat very low calories for several days to achieve it.
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Eating at that level of restriction plus working out = nutritional deficits and lean muscle loss. You body still needs those calories you're not eating during the week to function on those days, and it won't just take them from your fat stores, it will take them from your muscles as well. Over time this will slow your metabolism, weaken you, raise your body fat percentage, and create a softer, saggier body.

Thank you for this portion of your response. I am concerned what the risks are, which is why I asked. Tomorrow is my 3rd full week and I just feel like I should have lost more eating so little.

Last weekend is a really bad representation because we had a 4 course meal date night & FIVE social commitments that centered around drinks. This upcoming weekend we have 2. I opened up my diary, I guess to be judged, but have a hay day. I really was looking for advice.

• binabodu
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If you are losing a little over a pound a week, you are losing at a good pace. Losing faster is not realistic.

The problem I see is not your average calories (likely a little higher than you think) as weight loss is respectable, but weekends must be a lot of calories to make up for several days at 600-800.

Lifestyle changes and maintenance come to mind. How will you manage the weight you lose using this method? Many people will have a cheat day....but they typically don't eat very low calories for several days to achieve it.

I guess it is possible I am underestimating casing a 1,not 2 lb loss. I definitely over estimated my alcohol last weekend because I wanted to be accurate but eating out was hard.

I just don't understand why this worked so well for my husband who dropped 8lbs in one week. That is not realistic, I understand that.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into intermittent fasting, or the 5:2 diet. 5:2 is similar to what you're doing, but only two lower cal days. And, 3.8 pounds in three weeks is great.
  • binabodu
    Options
    I think you already know that this isn't a healthy way to eat. There's no way you are hitting your macros on any single day of the week. Also, I find it difficult to fathom that you are really only eating 600-800 calories during the week. Could you open your diary?
    If you two are really interested in getting healthier as a couple, you should find other ways to be social that don't center around dinner and bars. Not saying you have to drop it out completely, but if your lifestyle is focused on food and alcohol, then you need to evaluate a lifestyle change.

I opened it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    binabodu wrote: »
    Eating at that level of restriction plus working out = nutritional deficits and lean muscle loss. You body still needs those calories you're not eating during the week to function on those days, and it won't just take them from your fat stores, it will take them from your muscles as well. Over time this will slow your metabolism, weaken you, raise your body fat percentage, and create a softer, saggier body.

Thank you for this portion of your response. I am concerned what the risks are, which is why I asked. Tomorrow is my 3rd full week and I just feel like I should have lost more eating so little.

Last weekend is a really bad representation because we had a 4 course meal date night & FIVE social commitments that centered around drinks. This upcoming weekend we have 2. I opened up my diary, I guess to be judged, but have a hay day. I really was looking for advice.

But you're not actually eating so little because of the binge drinking on the weekend.

As others have said it is a reasonable rate of loss, but in my opinion an unhealthy way of achieving it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

I guess it is possible I am underestimating casing a 1,not 2 lb loss. I definitely over estimated my alcohol last weekend because I wanted to be accurate but eating out was hard.

I just don't understand why this worked so well for my husband who dropped 8lbs in one week. That is not realistic, I understand that.

Your husband didn't lose 8lbs of fat last week. Most of that was probably water weight. He would have to burn around 28,000 more calories than he ate to lose around 8lbs of fat. That's a ton of calories to burn in one week.
  • binabodu
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    You might want to look into intermittent fasting, or the 5:2 diet. 5:2 is similar to what you're doing, but only two lower cal days. And, 3.8 pounds in three weeks is great.

Thank you!
  • binabodu
    edited February 2016
    Options

[/quote]I can see how people might think you are anorexic if you only eat 600 calories 5 days a week and exercise on top of that.[/quote]

So helpful. Thanks.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I can tell you have a lot of inaccurate logging, especially on the weekend. This is probably why you didn't lose the 2lbs a week your were expecting. You have one day in there when you picked entries for one meal from several different restaurants. Had I eaten out and couldn't accurately log, I would have done the same....picked the entries I thought looked the closest to what I ate. BUT...that doesn't make them right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you already know that this isn't a healthy way to eat. There's no way you are hitting your macros on any single day of the week. Also, I find it difficult to fathom that you are really only eating 600-800 calories during the week. Could you open your diary?
    If you two are really interested in getting healthier as a couple, you should find other ways to be social that don't center around dinner and bars. Not saying you have to drop it out completely, but if your lifestyle is focused on food and alcohol, then you need to evaluate a lifestyle change.

I opened it.

I think the issue is your logging. A food scale might help you get more accurate on the weekdays, I think some days you might be eating more than you think you are. I understand there are going to be times when you are unsure of what you're eating (like the hobo casserole), but when you choose generic entries from the database, they're going to be guesses. Some guesses are better than others, but a failure to lose weight as expected is often a sign that our guesses aren't right.

Are you confident in your logging on the days that you're drinking? No judgment here (I am also a heavy drinker), but I saw a day where you had 17 ounces of wine and at least seven ounces of hard alcohol and you also had food logged. Were those together? Because I'll tell you straight up that while drinking that much, *my* ability to estimate what I'm eating is awful. I only bring it up because it's possible you're eating more than you think you are on the nights when you are drinking heavily. Could I tell what 4 ounces of beef brisket was after doing several shots? No way. Maybe you can -- again, just sharing my experience. Also, are your mixers zero calorie or are you drinking the shots straight? Don't forgot to log mixers (you may be doing this already, just something I've seen in other diaries).

I don't think one has to quit drinking while losing weight, but maybe *something* has to change or be altered. When I was losing weight, I ate pretty austerely. If I splurged on alcohol, I splurged on alcohol -- not food and alcohol. If I wanted to splurge on a meal, I skipped the alcohol so I could be sure I remained in the control. This is just something that worked for me. I know it isn't the most fun socially, but it's a limited time in our life.

Tasty food and alcohol can be a dangerous combination when you're trying to lose weight -- especially if you are eating hardly anything during the week. You're going into these situations primed for a loss of control.
  • binabodu
    Options

Your husband didn't lose 8lbs of fat last week. Most of that was probably water weight. He would have to burn around 28,000 more calories than he ate to lose around 8lbs of fat. That's a ton of calories to burn in one week.

It was 8 weeks ago, but I know. I just feel like my 3.8 was water weight too! Not fair he got 8. :)

I actually can do math but I seriously wondered if this was sustainable as long as I averaged somewhere close to 1200 per day for the week. It is really 4 low cal days and 3 higher cal days.

What is the difference in hitting 1200 a day vs. 1200 average for the week?
  • binabodu
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I can tell you have a lot of inaccurate logging, especially on the weekend. This is probably why you didn't lose the 2lbs a week your were expecting. You have one day in there when you picked entries for one meal from several different restaurants. Had I eaten out and couldn't accurately log, I would have done the same....picked the entries I thought looked the closest to what I ate. BUT...that doesn't make them right.

That may be it. That was a date night (won a 4 course meal in an auction) and if course the restaurant wasn't on there. Hopefully this weekend is more accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It was 8 weeks ago, but I know. I just feel like my 3.8 was water weight too! Not fair he got 8. :)

I actually can do math but I seriously wondered if this was sustainable as long as I averaged somewhere close to 1200 per day for the week. It is really 4 low cal days and 3 higher cal days.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any difference. What you might see if you blow it out on the weekends is much bigger swings in water weight. This may make your progress seem much slower.
  • I_Will_End_You
    edited February 2016
    Options

It can be sustainable, but you just aren't getting the numbers right, you're averaging more than 1200 per day for the week. There isn't a difference between 1200 a day and a 1200 per day average for the week. I think you need to decide whether you want to keep your lifestyle the way it is, and lose at 1ish lb a week, or clean up your weekends a bit and lose more quickly.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm all for weekly averages, but if I tried to workout on a day I consumed 600 calories; I'd bonk. There's something to be said for adequately fueling your body throughout the week. The large meals on Sunday aren't going to do you any good on Thursday. As I said before, I save up for the weekends, but I only do a 2-300 calories a day (and my goal is much higher than yours).

You need to find what works for you, but I think this might be a bit aggressive. Maybe try having a drink or two (and aim for alcohol in low calorie mixers) and intersperse with water or diet soda. Try and aim for healthier options even out with friends. And if possible, look at menus and calorie counts before going to the restaurant. I always find it easier to make good decisions when I go in with a game plan. And then balance the slightly lower weekends (as opposed to your current plan) with a little higher days during the week.

I agree with some of your entries looking a little off (so many people create faulty entries in the database, so it can make logging a pain). I'd also recommend a food scale if possible; and I look for USDA entries in the database.
  • binabodu
    Options

I opened it.

I think the issue is your logging. A food scale might help you get more accurate on the weekdays, I think some days you might be eating more than you think you are. I understand there are going to be times when you are unsure of what you're eating (like the hobo casserole), but when you choose generic entries from the database, they're going to be guesses. Some guesses are better than others, but a failure to lose weight as expected is often a sign that our guesses aren't right.

Are you confident in your logging on the days that you're drinking? No judgment here (I am also a heavy drinker), but I saw a day where you had 17 ounces of wine and at least seven ounces of hard alcohol and you also had food logged. Were those together? Because I'll tell you straight up that while drinking that much, *my* ability to estimate what I'm eating is awful. I only bring it up because it's possible you're eating more than you think you are on the nights when you are drinking heavily. Could I tell what 4 ounces of beef brisket was after doing several shots? No way. Maybe you can -- again, just sharing my experience. Also, are your mixers zero calorie or are you drinking the shots straight? Don't forgot to log mixers (you may be doing this already, just something I've seen in other diaries).

I don't think one has to quit drinking while losing weight, but maybe *something* has to change or be altered. When I was losing weight, I ate pretty austerely. If I splurged on alcohol, I splurged on alcohol -- not food and alcohol. If I wanted to splurge on a meal, I skipped the alcohol so I could be sure I remained in the control. This is just something that worked for me. I know it isn't the most fun socially, but it's a limited time in our life.

Tasty food and alcohol can be a dangerous combination when you're trying to lose weight -- especially if you are eating hardly anything during the week. You're going into these situations primed for a loss of control.

I know my weekly meals are accurate because we weigh and create recipes but last weekend was a guess for sure. I just tried to over estimate but it was three different events (birthday at one place 1 - 6 oz glass of wine - 1 9 oz glass and an egg roll, 2nd birthday - 2 vodka waters and 2 shots of tequila and 2 fried pickles, 3rd BBQ - 4 oz straight Malibu & the (biggest guess) of chopped brisket.)

Thank you for your advice, it definitely could be the reason. I'm going to do better this weekend but I've eaten so little all week I'm worried that I need to make them up. I will for sure have a bottle of wine at some point and will be judged on here.

I am a social person. I won't be able to give it up and be happy. I think you are right that I need to just not eat while I am out unless I can be positive of the calories.
  • binabodu
    Options

It can be sustainable, but you just aren't getting the numbers right, you're averaging more than 1200 per day for the week. There isn't a difference between 1200 a day and a 1200 per day average for the week. I think you need to decide whether you want to keep your lifestyle the way it is, and lose at 1ish lb a week, or clean up your weekends a bit and lose more quickly.

Thank you. Last weekend was outrageous so I'm sure that's why.