I bought a food scale, and I havent been eating what I thought!

Options
After reading over and over how people need to buy food scales to more accurately log their food, I knew I had to get one, but had to wait for extra money.
Yesterday I came home and the first thing I did was weight one of my favorite snacks, toast with cream cheese. I just eyeball it on the knife. Measuring spoons get too messy and you can't even get it all off.
One serving is 2 tablespoons. Apparently I've only been using between 1-1.5 servings! (and I thought I was still over 2!)
I think I got so worried about overestimating like most people do, I overcompensated cause I didn't want to be that person asking why I wasn't losing weight.
I weighed a few more things I commonly use - dressings, mayo, fish, bread. Typically I was under what I thought I was eating. So, now, I get to eat more :P
I just thought that was interesting. I was trying to not self sabotage and ended up losing out, on food and nutrients possibly. I am short so I had less to work with in the beginning anyway.

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yep it works both ways. It's great when you realize you can eat more of something than you thought! Or have some calories to spend somewhere else. :)

I eat more food and more delicious healthyish food now than I ever thought I could.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wait 'til you weigh pasta.

How much I typically ate, if not more, pre-scale.

Kids_Rotini_Meatsauce_Grapes_796_dpv.jpg

What an actual serving size is. :'(

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

• chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience with most foods. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more I could eat! I love my scale.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I bought my scale I realized I had no idea what a serving size was and was wayyy over eating. It was a little heartbreaking lol
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The picture of the pasta makes me sad. 2 ounces isn't that much when dry. I personally cannot eat pasta at all. I am looking for some rice noodles to purchase. PCOS means no gluten. I am trying to move away from it even if it is a weakness for me.

I noticed when I began using my scale that I overate some things and underate some things. The condiments that most people tell you to avoid...were always under. It is great though to find those things that you under eat on and know you can have some more!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, that's why I love my scale! (And because I hate washing measuring cups and spoons every day). I want to eat every single calorie I can, and when I eyeball I totally overestimate.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I will keep u posted when I replace the battery in my scale if I am in the same boat lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yup it works both ways.

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I've stayed away from pasta since I didn't have a good way to measure it before..at least it will be something!!
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, that's why I love my scale! (And because I hate washing measuring cups and spoons every day). I want to eat every single calorie I can, and when I eyeball I totally overestimate.

I think its gonna take a while to get used to weighing things. Its kinda awkward sometimes
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    blancoms wrote: »

I've stayed away from pasta since I didn't have a good way to measure it before..at least it will be something!!
    AliceDark wrote: »

I think its gonna take a while to get used to weighing things. Its kinda awkward sometimes

True, especially if there are other people around. 90% of the time I'm cooking just for me, and I don't care if I look dorky dragging out my scale. If I'm at a family meal or something, I usually don't bother and just eyeball.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. I weigh just about everything I eat. I do keto and this helps me plan my meals that are tasty and keep me right on track.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

Or cereal. I mean who only eats a 28g portion of cereal. FYI... It's a small handful :/
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Weighing cereal is sad.....
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

Do you weigh yours cooked or raw? The package doesnt say for the noodles I've been using which I thought was odd, usually they have a dry and a prepared, or maybe thats just like the noodles with sauce or whatever?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

Do you weigh yours cooked or raw? The package doesnt say for the noodles I've been using which I thought was odd, usually they have a dry and a prepared, or maybe thats just like the noodles with sauce or whatever?

I try and look for an entry for cooked or prepared
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

Or cereal. I mean who only eats a 28g portion of cereal. FYI... It's a small handful :/

so upset on both of those haha. i eat about 2 portions of both
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Dandelie wrote: »
    The picture of the pasta makes me sad. 2 ounces isn't that much when dry. I personally cannot eat pasta at all. I am looking for some rice noodles to purchase. PCOS means no gluten. I am trying to move away from it even if it is a weakness for me.

I noticed when I began using my scale that I overate some things and underate some things. The condiments that most people tell you to avoid...were always under. It is great though to find those things that you under eat on and know you can have some more!

Nothing to do with food scales, but I have Celiac disease and PCOS. Ronzoni and Barilla both have good GF pastas that are corn based.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    The pasta example is so whacked.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Always weigh dry things like pasta, rice, oatmeal before cooking them. That's what the package information refers to anyway. There are huge difference in how much water they absorb when you cook them so it makes no sense to weigh the finished food.

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Glass%20Cup%20Pasta.jpg

so upset on both of those haha. i eat about 2 portions of both

I had to look at my cereal boxes after I read that! So sad :( At least some aren't too high in calories so you can double it. I like cereal, its just not filling enough when counting calories.