I would like good tips on gaining weight

Options
I am definitely underweight at 85 lbs and a BMI of 15.1. I would like to be 110 lbs but I just can't seem to gain weight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    eat more calories than you burn
  • 111katie
    111katie Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't exercise, I'm scared to lose more weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You burn calories just doing things like breathing and pumping blood. You also burn calories by doing everyday activities like walking across the room. You need to take in more calories than you burn doing all of those activities, whether or not you exercise, in order to gain weight.
  • 111katie
    Options
    I try to eat at least 2500 calories
  • AliceDark
    Options
    1. How long have you been trying to gain?
    2. What does "I try to eat 2500 calories" really mean? How much do you actually eat?
    3. How are you tracking your food? (Food scale, measuring cups/spoons, eyeballing, etc.)
    4. If you're in ED recovery, you need to talk to your treatment team. Much of the advice you'd get here may not apply to you and could be detrimental (for example, you should not exercise in recovery unless your doctors say it's okay. You could be at risk for a heart attack or other serious complication).
  • 111katie
    Options
    I have been trying to gain weight for a year or two. I eat 2500 most of the time but I have digestive problems (causes chronic nausea) and am only able to eat 1800 to 2000 some days.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You've...seen a doctor about this, yes?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to your doctor instead of MFP about this, as it sounds like you have other issues (digestive problems) that might be causing your difficulty with weight gain. These might be treatable or not, but no one here will be able to help with that, unfortunately.

Wishing you all the best for improved health!
  • 111katie
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, I have a gastro but they are switching me to a new one next week. I've been seeing doctors for three years, no results
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I say lift weights and eat a little more. otherwise you will gain mostly fat. if you lift a large portion of your gains will be lean muscle.
    New rules of lifting, starting strength, strong curves, are all good beginner programs.
  • 111katie
    Options
    Good idea^^
  • 111katie
    Options
    111katie wrote: »
    Yes, I have a gastro but they are switching me to a new one next week. I've been seeing doctors for three years, no results

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    mantequilla-mani-natural.jpg

+

cu74703.jpg
  • 111katie
    Options
    Peanut butter gets very tiring haha
  • AliceDark
    Options
    Have you really been averaging, say, 1800-2000 calories for two years and not gaining weight? Probably not, and if so, you need to see a doctor because something's really wrong. Realistically, you're not gaining weight because you're not eating enough. Lots of people get caught up in the perception that they're eating enough and don't remember the many days they didn't eat, and then wonder why they're not gaining. (The same is true for people trying to lose; they remember the few days when they ate at a deficit and ignore the many days when they went over). If you want to gain, you need to consistently eat more than you burn, for a long period of time.
  • 111katie
    Options
    I didn't keep good track until the last three months and I have actually been eating over 2500 the last two months.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter gets very tiring haha

LIES!! I could spoon a whole jar into my mouth in one sitting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the various probiotic foods to see if they help you with the nausea/absorption? I'm thinking yogurts, kefir, and kimchi.

You can eat less of calorie dense foods for more calories. Peanut butter is mentioned. There's also cream (put it in coffee, tea, and shakes), cheese, butter, mayonnaise, creamy dressings, nuts, dried fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bacon! How could I have forgotten bacon?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I didn't keep good track until the last three months and I have actually been eating over 2500 the last two months.

If you're eating that much regularly and not gaining, maybe you have malabsorption issues? Have your docs checked for that?