Feeling discouraged...

Options
So when I was 16/17, I was extremely skinny and looked AMAZING. I was apart of a gym, and probably didn't eat as much as I should have. I'm 22 now, and about 40 pounds heavier, and whenever I see photos from those couple of years, I just feel so discouraged. I don't think I'll ever get even close to looking like that again. I work out at home several days a week, and eat fairly well, but I feel like I'm not seeing any results. I just feel really discouraged. :( Could I ever look that way again...?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well first off, a 16-17 year old is not matured. It's normal to change size and shape after 16/17.
    Second, are you sure you're not over eating/over-estimating your calorie burn? It would be easier to help knowing how often youre working out, how intensely, and for how long. And what you're eating and how often. + it could be a medical reason.
  • amandacagle560
    amandacagle560 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Girl, I was totally in your spot. It's been a journey for sure, but I'm finally back to where I was in my early 20's (I'm a bit older than you
  • PlaceboFX
    PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well first off, a 16-17 year old is not matured. It's normal to change size and shape after 16/17.
    Second, are you sure you're not over eating/over-estimating your calorie burn? It would be easier to help knowing how often youre working out, how intensely, and for how long. And what you're eating and how often. + it could be a medical reason.

I've been keeping pretty good track of what I'm eating, and the calories in and out. I AM on birth control. Do you think that could be causing problems? :( I didn't really gain any weight with it, but could it make weight loss difficult?
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    PlaceboFX wrote: »

I've been keeping pretty good track of what I'm eating, and the calories in and out. I AM on birth control. Do you think that could be causing problems? :( I didn't really gain any weight with it, but could it make weight loss difficult?

DEFINITELY. I've been on a few different methods to see what works best for me. On the pill I gained, on the DEPO shot I gained about 25 and struggled to lose, and now i'm on the NuvaRing. Birth control makes your appetite increase and makes you retain water weight.

If it's really bothering you, you can ask your doctor about prescribing a different kind/method that will less effect your hormones, like a lower dosage.

Alternatively, whatever you're doing right now can just not be "your thing". Counting calories always helped me, and that's how I lost the 25lb (while still on birth control), but I eventually gained it all back and I'm currently about 5lb below my highest weight. Because I know I won't stick with counting calories very long before getting bored/giving up, I'm counting Macros right now (protein, carbs, and fat grams). To me it's a lot easier and guarantees that I meet my daily goals and am not spending all my calories on carbs.

Also, try new workouts. Sometimes the body gets bored and you need to up the intensity. Alternative to that, you may not be eating enough. How long have you been working out and eating like you currently are?
  • befittoledo
    befittoledo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Half your body weight in ounces of water at a minimum. I would also be looking at the sugars. Sometimes hormones change and your body processes the sugar differently, turning it to fat. Try cutting sugars and look for more protein and fiber.

Also, sometimes its not fat in our stomachs as it is a food sensitivity. Cow dairy and Gluten can cause bloating, my daughter, now 19, had this problem. It was when she cut the gluten that she obtained her flat tummy. Something she couldn't do even with being at the gym and watching sugars.
  • PlaceboFX
    PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    PlaceboFX wrote: »

DEFINITELY. I've been on a few different methods to see what works best for me. On the pill I gained, on the DEPO shot I gained about 25 and struggled to lose, and now i'm on the NuvaRing. Birth control makes your appetite increase and makes you retain water weight.

If it's really bothering you, you can ask your doctor about prescribing a different kind/method that will less effect your hormones, like a lower dosage.

Alternatively, whatever you're doing right now can just not be "your thing". Counting calories always helped me, and that's how I lost the 25lb (while still on birth control), but I eventually gained it all back and I'm currently about 5lb below my highest weight. Because I know I won't stick with counting calories very long before getting bored/giving up, I'm counting Macros right now (protein, carbs, and fat grams). To me it's a lot easier and guarantees that I meet my daily goals and am not spending all my calories on carbs.

Also, try new workouts. Sometimes the body gets bored and you need to up the intensity. Alternative to that, you may not be eating enough. How long have you been working out and eating like you currently are?

Oh man, really? That sucks! Yeah, I might talk to my doctor. I didn't experience any appetite increase, thankfully, but the water retention would make a lot of sense.
    I should probably clarify that I basically let myself go around 18-19. I had to cancel my gym membership, began stress eating, and I also went on an antidepressant (which I'm still on. Hadn't considered that either...). I've only been actively trying to lose weight (other than short bursts over the past couple years that I quickly gave up on) for about a month, give or take. I've seen some itty bitty changes, but not much, and that's what discourages me. I know I need to be patient, but I remember how I used to look, and feel like I'll never get there again. Does that make any sense?

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We can always get back to a certain weight, so if you sustain a daily calorie deficit, you will eventually wind up at the weight you were when you were 16/17. We may not look the same, however. Body composition can change.