My 600# life

Options

Replies

• heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Food that is bad for you, is cheaper than foods that are good for you.

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.

I guess it depends on where you live, too... I have seen people claiming these kinds of prices but I have yet to see them ANYWHERE. But I live in San Diego, so these prices are just unheard of. So nice for those of you who live in cities/states with a lower cost of living
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this to rag on people with money or something. I just think it's important people understand that there are reasons, beyond the purely mathematical, why people say "good food is more expensive". You're not wrong for saying "crappy food costs more dollar for dollar", but I think that just really over simplifies something that isn't actually all that simple.

You've made some good points. I've shied away from fresh produce due to the fear that it will go bad before I've eaten it. Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't like throwing money in the trash. I'm sure the feeling is exponential in those who are living on a fixed income.

I also think you made a good point about cooking. Cooking is tiresome. Opening a box or a fast food bag is so much easier. For those who are already morbidly obese, I'm sure standing in front of a stove for 30 minutes is far less preferable than just picking up a phone and ordering pizza.

That being said, some of that still comes down to choice of eating simply too much of it. The obese poor are not obese because a McDonald's hamburger is all they can afford. They're obese because they've also ordered the large fry, milkshake, and double-quarter pounder with cheese to go along with it.

Yes. CICO is king no matter what you eat, or can afford to eat. I just cannot abide these arguments that inevitably cast blame on the poor for something that is, by any reasonable understanding of what it means to be 'human', not their fault.

I dont see where anyone blamed the poor, in this thread, for eating in whatever manner they chose or were forced into. I just see people stating that, from a purely monetary standpoint, eating healthy can be cheaper than eating 'junk'.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you live, too... I have seen people claiming these kinds of prices but I have yet to see them ANYWHERE. But I live in San Diego, so these prices are just unheard of. So nice for those of you who live in cities/states with a lower cost of living

Yes, San Diego is going to be more expensive. As is NYC, LA, etc... but thats an anomaly across the US, not the norm. And remember, many positions in your area pay better than they do in say, oaklahoma.

A few of my local curculars from this week...

http://www.fairplayfoods.com/circular/02242016-03012016-0

http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/Entry/LandingContent?storeid=2626326&sneakpeek=N&listingid=0
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not saying this to rag on people with money or something. I just think it's important people understand that there are reasons, beyond the purely mathematical, why people say "good food is more expensive". You're not wrong for saying "crappy food costs more dollar for dollar", but I think that just really over simplifies something that isn't actually all that simple.

You've made some good points. I've shied away from fresh produce due to the fear that it will go bad before I've eaten it. Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't like throwing money in the trash. I'm sure the feeling is exponential in those who are living on a fixed income.

I also think you made a good point about cooking. Cooking is tiresome. Opening a box or a fast food bag is so much easier. For those who are already morbidly obese, I'm sure standing in front of a stove for 30 minutes is far less preferable than just picking up a phone and ordering pizza.

That being said, some of that still comes down to choice of eating simply too much of it. The obese poor are not obese because a McDonald's hamburger is all they can afford. They're obese because they've also ordered the large fry, milkshake, and double-quarter pounder with cheese to go along with it.

Yes. CICO is king no matter what you eat, or can afford to eat. I just cannot abide these arguments that inevitably cast blame on the poor for something that is, by any reasonable understanding of what it means to be 'human', not their fault.

I dont see where anyone blamed the poor, in this thread, for eating in whatever manner they chose or were forced into. I just see people stating that, from a purely monetary standpoint, eating healthy can be cheaper than eating 'junk'.

And I indicated my belief, pretty verbosely, that it's only cheaper dollar for dollar. In any case, I wasn't calling out any specific person or argument. It's my experience that conversations like this tend to lean that way by the end.

ETA: I suppose we can call it a preemptive statement :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. There's a whole lot of grocery foods(fresh and frozen produce, bulk grains and legumes) for under $1/lb. When I was poor, even McDonald's dollar menu was an unaffordable luxury when I could make dinner to feed 5 for under $5.

I wanna shop were u shop

Its not that hard....i can think of a bunch of meals off the top of my head that will feed 5 people for under $5.

Pulled pork sandwiches, with frozen green beans. $1.29/lb for pork butt...need 1.5#, bag of hamburger buns from aldi $0.85, bag of frozen veg $1.....under $4, or $5 if you want 2 bags of frozen veggies

spaghetti w marinara or alfredo with broccoli...$1 pasta, $1 marinara or $1.99 alfredo, $1/bag of frozen veg....between $3 & $5 to feed 5

Polish sausage broccoli bake half a pack or aldi parkview polish sausage links ($3.99 / 12 pack)..$1.98, $2 for two bags of frozen broccoli..half bag of shredded cheese $1 ..$5 total

Pork chops and itialian rice $1.49/lb thin cut pork chops (1 1/2lb), 1/4 bag white rice ($1.59/bag), $1 jar marinara, bag frozen peas....$4.65

Lentil tacos or taco salad...half bag lentils $1.29/bag), jar salsa ($1.49), 2 packs corn tortillas from aldi $0.48/ea...head of lettuce $1.29.... half bag of shredded cheese $1...$5.42

Chicken soup....chicken drumsticks $0.59/lb....3lbs, bag babybcarrots $1, half bunch celery $1, 1 onion $0.75, half bag noodles $0.50....$5

Some of these prices i have to shop around for or stockpile, but many i can get nearly every week. I dont use coupons.

This is beside the point, but I have to say I've never seen prices like that. The canadian dollar just went down, so everything's spiked recently, but a bag of frozen veggies is always usually around $8 - maybe $5 on a really big sale. Everything else is at least 2 or 3x the price of what you've listed here. That looks fantastic! A lot of those 1's would be 4's here. I also don't think we have a "dollar menu" at the mcdonalds, though I haven't been to one in a long time so I could be wrong.

maybe I wont go to canada then if Trump becomes president. That sounds outrageous.

:D +1
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yall people would probably like Fit To Fat To Fit.

I certainly love it. Every episode is 1 personal trainer and 1 overweight person. They have their initial meeting and the trainer tells them that theyre putting everything off for FOUR months, so that the personal trainer can gain upwards of 50+ lbs, so that when they start working together the trainer gets the feel of what its like for the client. As a lot of overweight out of shape people often give them the excuse of "you dont know what its like to be fat" "youve never been fat, you cant understand what I'm going through" etc. Its really an amazing show. the very first episode had me in so many tears (both happy and sad, mostly happy).

I have a love/hate relationship with the premise of that show - mostly because the trainers aren't truly immersing themselves in the experience (and frankly, shouldn't). Even though they gain the weight, they never really experience the emotions of self-doubt and anxiety the overweight person goes through, or the loss of control and panic many bingers experience on a daily basis. They're wearing a "suit", essentially - and when the show's over, they get to return to their norm and take it right off again.

Also, they get to retain all of that fabulous lean body mass they've built up under the fat.

I do appreciate the attempt at empathy though.

I agree with you. All it sounds like is they are temporarily going though a bulking phase. Which they might be use to the whole bulk, cut, bulk, cut thing.

Also how is the trainer gaining weight helping the client at all?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You all seriously underestimate the ability of someone with low income to find enough food to eat. We can be very, very resourceful. :) I'm not dirt poor anymore but there was a time period where I was a single mom of 3 small kids on food stamps, and believe me, you can make those suckers stretch. My kids never wanted for food and I always had a full kitchen. Granted, we had whatever hamburger was on sale as opposed to some 90% ground beef, we ate chicken leg quarters, not boneless, skinless breasts, lots of pasta and packaged side dishes, canned corn, things like that. Ramen noodles were a staple. Food trumps all. I went many months only paying partial bills. The electric company will not turn off your electricity if you pay something on it every month, even if it's only $10. But if you're on any kind of state assistance, like food stamps, you can often get help with other things like heat, electricity and rent. Heck, my mother gets disability, fuel assistance, food stamps and the state helps her with her electric bill.

She's very overweight, yet only gets $97 a month in food stamps, which is for two people. She didn't become overweight until she got dirt poor. She has no problem finding enough to eat, and she's one of these people that has to eat the high dollar stuff like the 90 percent ground beef and the organic boneless chicken breasts. But she also bakes a lot and eats her baked stuff, like muffins and breads, for breakfast. So a lot of her money goes towards ingredients for things like that, which can be a very cheap way to eat a lot of calories.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Addicts will always find a way to get their fill. Doesn't matter if it's food, sex or drugs.

Unfortunately alot of these people have people in their lives that enable them. Bring them this food. They are truly only trying to care for the people they love. Even though it is inevitably killing them.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds has 1$ menu. Fries and a burger for 1$ is a lot cheaper than most "healthy meals" you can prepare. Thats the trap alot of people fall into. Fast food and other unhealthy foods are usually pretty cheap and easy. Healthy well cooked foods usually cost more and take more time to prepare.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yall people would probably like Fit To Fat To Fit.

I certainly love it. Every episode is 1 personal trainer and 1 overweight person. They have their initial meeting and the trainer tells them that theyre putting everything off for FOUR months, so that the personal trainer can gain upwards of 50+ lbs, so that when they start working together the trainer gets the feel of what its like for the client. As a lot of overweight out of shape people often give them the excuse of "you dont know what its like to be fat" "youve never been fat, you cant understand what I'm going through" etc. Its really an amazing show. the very first episode had me in so many tears (both happy and sad, mostly happy).

I have a love/hate relationship with the premise of that show - mostly because the trainers aren't truly immersing themselves in the experience (and frankly, shouldn't). Even though they gain the weight, they never really experience the emotions of self-doubt and anxiety the overweight person goes through, or the loss of control and panic many bingers experience on a daily basis. They're wearing a "suit", essentially - and when the show's over, they get to return to their norm and take it right off again.

Also, they get to retain all of that fabulous lean body mass they've built up under the fat.

I do appreciate the attempt at empathy though.

I think the first episode was seriously the best one. I feel like he was the only trainer that really had like crazy emotional changes and I think he related to his client the best by the end of it. Theyre bromance was like the best thing ever at the end.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wanna shop were u shop

maybe I wont go to canada then if Trump becomes president. That sounds outrageous.

Vote! Volunteer for your candidate and encourage more people to vote!

I'm voting. I'm even gonna change my party bc im currently unaffiliated and I've jsut learned from one of my more politically active friends you MUST be registered here as a democrat to vote for Bernie. (WHY IS ANYONE VOTING FOR TRUMP WHEN THIS MAN IS ALIVE?).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds has 1$ menu. Fries and a burger for 1$ is a lot cheaper than most "healthy meals" you can prepare. Thats the trap alot of people fall into. Fast food and other unhealthy foods are usually pretty cheap and easy. Healthy well cooked foods usually cost more and take more time to prepare.

There are tons of 'healthy" foods that are a dollar or less per serving though.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options

What Mcdonald's do you go to because every one I've gone to in the last year and half does not have a dollar menu anymore. Its 1.19+ for everything. I keep hearing advertisements for the 2 for $2, dbl cheeseburger/fries/mcchicken/nuggets or somethng I think are your options. Granted 1.19 for a cheesburger is still cheap.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I think the first episode was seriously the best one. I feel like he was the only trainer that really had like crazy emotional changes and I think he related to his client the best by the end of it. Theyre bromance was like the best thing ever at the end.

I haven't seen the first one. I'll have to look that up.

I'm voting. I'm even gonna change my party bc im currently unaffiliated and I've jsut learned from one of my more politically active friends you MUST be registered here as a democrat to vote for Bernie. (WHY IS ANYONE VOTING FOR TRUMP WHEN THIS MAN IS ALIVE?).

Depends on the state, I recently learned. For instance, in MO, you can only vote in one party's primary, but if you're undeclared, you can pick which one.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    edited February 2016
    Options

This side of the argument is irrelevant to this conversation anyway, however. We're not just talking about psuedo-overweight/barely obese people in this thread, we're talking about morbidly obese people.

A hamburger and a side of fries is just under 600 calories at McDonalds. You can eat that 3 times a day, and if you have a TDEE at or higher than 1800 (which isn't unreasonable), you'll maintain or even lose at that. Even if your TDEE is under 1800, you will probably not be egregiously overweight.

To get to the point where My 600# Life participants are, you've got to eat a truck ton of food. The amount of food required to keep a person at that weight is going to get expensive, whether they're eating burgers and pizza or kale and fruit salad.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wonder at the financial condition of the 600 pound life folks. I think that a lot of them are neck deep in debt. Their eating is out of control and I wouldn't be surprised if their financial life was, too. Credit cards could be financing the binges.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

This side of the argument is irrelevant to this conversation anyway, however. We're not just talking about psuedo-overweight/barely obese people in this thread, we're talking about morbidly obese people.

A hamburger and a side of fries is just under 600 calories at McDonalds. You can eat that 3 times a day, and if you have a TDEE at or higher than 1800 (which isn't unreasonable), you'll maintain or even lose at that. Even if your TDEE is under 1800, you will probably not be egregiously overweight.

To get to the point where My 600# Life participants are, you've got to eat a truck ton of food. The amount of food required to keep a person at that weight is going to get expensive, whether they're eating burgers and pizza or kale and fruit salad.

Agreed - and dont forget that when they are speaking with the Dr, they VASTLY under report what they are eating, so they have no clue as to the relationship between portion size and weight. I saw an episode recently - a woman, her hubby and a young child - and the food on her plate would have been at least 3 servings of everything. And yes, she was in denial about the amounts she was consuming.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

hx17n9ibb261.gif
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Agreed - and dont forget that when they are speaking with the Dr, they VASTLY under report what they are eating, so they have no clue as to the relationship between portion size and weight. I saw an episode recently - a woman, her hubby and a young child - and the food on her plate would have been at least 3 servings of everything. And yes, she was in denial about the amounts she was consuming.

Was that Penny and her "I can tell how many calories is in a food just by looking at it" line? (Said as she ate over 1,000 calories in fried meat?)

I want to make that a gif. I mean her no ill-will, but that was the only time I've lol'ed at that show.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    didski wrote: »
    If you look at the situations most of the people are in, they live in areas of the country that are not that expensive, for the most part. That being said, if your rent/mortgage is less than $1000 a month and you are on assistance, which most of them probably are then paying for food is their next big expense. Supermarkets have great coupons if they use them, shopping at Wal-Mart for food is cheap too (and we all know that Wal-Mart is everywhere). Fast food can be expensive but if food is your priority it is easy to make it happen. We don't know, from the show either if they are are in huge credit card debt because of it.

I agree with this. In some cases some of the people I saw were living with relatives, so their disability likely went 100% to feeding themselves while someone else was covering rent. Even a decent apartment is probably closer to $500-$750 where a lot of these folks live.

It's possible disability is more than you think it is. Short term disability is generally based on what you made before. I had a friend with a heart condition that was eligible for long term disability that would have been $800 a month. This was like 15 years ago so I don't know what it would be now. But if any of these folks are qualifying for long term disability it might be more than you think.

Yes fast food is expensive, but I think these folks are prioritizing food rather than other things they might spend money on.

My brother is mentally ill and when he was living on his own he received about $800/mos in disability plus housing assistance. I was going to say he got $200 in food stamps, but I think I might be confusing him with a friend who got food but not housing assistance and that what my brother actually got was $137. He's getting less now that he is living with mom.

I think he gets some extra money because his disability is long term and goes back to before he turned 18 and so my father's income was factored in.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Debatable
    Very much so! check the price of Doritos lately? Ha