Eating before yoga practice

Do you have any suggestions for what I can eat before a yoga class?

I take a yoga class at 7 and I get home from work around 5. It is a long class so eating a meal afterwards isn't really preferred.

Right now, I have been sticking to eating something light like soups, fruit, smoothies, and protein shakes beforehand and then eating a snack of nuts or cheese when I come home.

Is an hour and a half enough time before yoga to eat something like a filet of fish with steamed veggies? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it's really about what is ok with you. I can eat right before but I know that other people can't eat less than an hour before class
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    You'll have to try it and see. For me, as long as it's not Bikram I'm fine to eat pretty much whatever whenever before a class and feel good. Running is a different story but yoga's low-impact enough that I don't feel adverse effects.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2016
    Anniel88 wrote: »

I take a yoga class at 7 and I get home from work around 5. It is a long class so eating a meal afterwards isn't really preferred.

Right now, I have been sticking to eating something light like soups, fruit, smoothies, and protein shakes beforehand and then eating a snack of nuts or cheese when I come home.

Is an hour and a half enough time before yoga to eat something like a filet of fish with steamed veggies? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    Why can't you eat more after the class?
    I would have something small an hour before the class and have a big meal when I got home.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    It depends on you. If I have yogurt or a protein shake less than 2 hours from class I feel awful with all the forward folds in Vinyasa. Something more solid is okay with my stomach but still about 2 hours before for me.

Fish and veggies sounds like a good option.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Anniel88 wrote: »

Thanks for the help!

Your current plan sounds fine, or you could eat half of a dinner before the class and half afterwards.

What time do you go to bed? As long as you're not eating a big meal right before laying down, which can be hard to digest, you should be fine.

(I'm also curious as to what you consider a "long" class. For me, that would be more than 90 minutes.)
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Taco bell. For that downward dog position.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    I have to be up early so I'm usually in bed by 9:30/10:00 so I am pretty much coming home and getting ready for bed. And I should have specified that I am not talking about a gentle flow yoga. Our classes are 90 minutes to 2 hours long with lots of ab work and inversions so a heavy meal beforehand will mean me puking on the side.

It sounds like I will just continue with what I am doing. I was just hoping for some more creative suggestions. Thanks everyone :smile: