One day on, One day off

Options
How important is this when doing cardio?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it. I do six days on one day off..
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing, intensity and impact.

If, for example, you're running the conventional wisdom is that (especially when new to running) you would run every other day. That doesn't mean, however, that you need to take the day off. You can swim, cycle, do weights etc etc etc on non-running days.

If your cardio consisted of walking, cycling or rowing you could do that 7 days a week (for best results in terms of improved fitness you may want to alternate interval / steady state days)

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the very beginning, or if you have an injury. Otherwise, you gotta exercise most days of the week. And your rest day should be active, too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i workout in some capacity almost every day.

gym 5-6 days a week and i run or walk almost every day, weather permitting
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    more important for lifting weights to incorporate an adequate amount of rest. but there are plenty of 6-day-a-week lifting programs that work too (they just do less work each day compared to a 3-day a week plan, so the overall recovery is the same).

it depends what youre doing but its pretty safe to do cardio 6 days a week if you build up to it slowly over several weeks. don't do sprints every day ;)
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I run Tuesday Thursday Saturday, bike Wednesday Friday Sunday. So, cardio 6 days a week. My schedule is chosen more around when I have time, and just happens that I alternate cardio types.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Too little IMO. My goal is to get to the gym 5 days a week and get an active hike day on the weekend. I could not just workout 3-4 days a week.