Do you have better workouts at certain times of day?

Options
For example, if I try to go to the gym after work (12hr work days), I simply do not have the energy to work out and end up sucking. However, if I get up early, even if I get less sleep, I do better! Why!

Replies

• joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a morning person. I am, too. If I do a work-out late in the day, it is better for me to choose a Yoga or Pilates class to help me relax for bedtime. An early-morning workout would be more energetic for me, as well as something like walking for at least 20 minutes in the parking lot at lunchtime.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    My best workouts come on Saturdays when I can wake when I please, take my time, and spend as much time as I want. Even though I have the extra time, it usually winds up being my quickest with most intensity. Weekdays, mornings are better for me than evenings.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    10am saturday morning, after breakfast has digested a bit but coffee still going strong!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the evening, it's just something I've always done so it's what I'm used to. If I go running in the morning, I always struggle for no real reason.
  • jtsher01
    jtsher01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my runs in the mornings are much better than after work. glucose levels are elevated when you wake up, generally.
  • Hastalabeastababy
    Hastalabeastababy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's evenings for me after work. I try to do my workout as soon as I get home. I just have more endurance to do it at night than I do first thing in the morning.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Definitely mornings. I've had coffee, I have energy; time to move! That's all gone by evening.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've tried various times, and I do my best workouts mid-day. I'm not a morning person and just don't have much energy if I try to workout before I've eaten anything. And in the evenings I just want to go home and do all the things I need to get done (cook dinner, laundry, etc.) So I hit the gym during my lunch break. It's definitely when I feel most motivated and energetic.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm best late afternoon after work. When schedules have required it, I've worked out before work or lunch, before work I'm terrible. Despite considering myself a morning person that's up & ready to go, my physical performance just isn't there. That was also made known in a hurry when I had trained for a half marathon and had never gotten up to do an early run during training.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    late afternoons or evenings work best for me - I'm pumped up and alert from working all day, and looking forward to the workout/de-stressor! I am a morning person - but I find although my mind is willing to workout in the morning - my body isn't (arthritis..........yeah, getting older sucks).
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ideal time for me is about 3pm.

but i have to work. so 6pm is what I live with. have tried to lift in the mornings; it takes me too long to feel awake and alert enough to hit it with intensity. so I stick to cardio in the morning.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes first thing in the morning is when I feel I get the most out of my workouts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have good runs in the morning- but super sh**ty lifts.

I lift much better at night then I do in the morning.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Late night running for me. Exercise, shower then sleep. I sleep very well :)
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I go around 9 pm after classes and work and usually do my best at this time. Mornings, no matter how much sleep I get, never feel right for me :neutral:
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Afternoons and evenings. Preferably around 2:00 or 3:00, but I'm usually working, so it gets pushed to after dinner. I am another one who tried mornings, but found I had no energy and I just hated it. The only thing clear through the fog was the clock I was watching!
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have tried morning, lunch and evenings, and I perform the best in the evenings.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am most consistent and feel my best if I go right after I drop my kids off at school- at the gym by 8am and done/showered by 9:30 to get on with my day. I fail miserably at trying to get up and go before my husband goes to work, and I'm exhausted by the time the kids are in bed at night.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I cannot possibly work out in the morning. I feel miserable the entire time.

Currently I only work part-time in the evenings so I work out at 1 pm when my kids are napping. It's definitely the time of day that I have the most energy.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Early evening seems to be my peak time. I feel like I can really attack the work out and feel really pumped and good afterwards. I'm in the same league as victoria_1024 when it comes to morning workouts as I too feel miserable the whole workout. Currently I work out early afternoons. While not optimal I can get through them feeling fairly well.