Weightloss tips. What works for you ?

Options
RichMzD
RichMzD Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
What do you use, do, eat etc that has been successful in your weightloss ?Food scale and a wrist heart rate/calorie watch/monitor thingy and protein drink before and after my workout. Thoughts and suggestions on all ? I want to lose about 50 pounds and tone. What works for you ?

Add me as I would love to see your journey and so that we can support each other.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eating less

moving more

no secret.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I eat all the foods I usually eat, just less of them. I fit them into my calorie goal. I get some exercise when I can.

Calories in, Calories out.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I never entertained an aggressive calorie goal, not for 5 minutes. I ate as much food as possible to still lose. So it was a bit slow, but now the weight is gone and staying off.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Number one is my food scale, can't emphasis this enough. Next would be hitting my target calories everyday. Occasional cheat meal, not cheat day, lol. If I stumble on occasion, no self loathing, no feelings of failure etc. Having a positive, can do attitude, has been key for me as well. Oh yeah, not under eating is what keeps you in the game for the long haul.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of what I eat, feed my body to fuel it. High protein meal replacement shake for breakfast most days. Walk walk walk!!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Food scale, and eat to fuel my workouts.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    What do you use, do, eat etc that has been successful in your weightloss ?Food scale and a wrist heart rate/calorie watch/monitor thingy and protein drink before and after my workout. Thoughts and suggestions on all ? I want to lose about 50 pounds and tone. What works for you ?

Add me as I would love to see your journey and so that we can support each other.

Deficit!

It's all in the kitchen, but I use cardio and weights to help me maintain a daily deficit. HR monitor when on the bike, lift weights 2 times a week, plus one day of core work. Throw in trying my best to focus on 1 pound per week weight loss seems to work and is "doable" for me.

Down 16 pounds since December 2nd. About 4 - 5 more to go using the techniques above of running a caloric deficit (CICO).
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Food scale to get a grip on portion sizes and choosing the highest calorie mfp entries for caloric value on things i have no labels to check against.

Overestimating my calorie intake when i don't prepare the food myself.

Getting a reasonable idea of my tdee by using an activity tracker ( fitbit charge hr)

Ultimately, using MFP to log my food has provided me an eating plan to go back to if my current free-balling eating and exercise routine causes me to gain more fat than i want.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yup - CICO for a deficit. Logging my food intake according to MPF recommendations. Nothing fancy but - boy, did I have to reduce my serving sizes. I was eating too much!

I also do 30 min intense exercise every day. Again, nothing fancy. I started with intense hikes in the snow and Jillian Michaels-type videos at home.

I lost over 30 lbs last year (I'm 51 yrs old for reference). it wasn't difficult per se, but patience is key. Just don't cheat (often) and be disciplined. The first few weeks are toughest, but you quickly adapt once you see a bit of progress. Good luck!!!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Cardio/weight training. Heart Rate training
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything out- just fit it into my calories! If I'm not drinking water- I don't lose :)
  • RichMzD
    RichMzD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great tips everyone thank you so much !! B)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    High volume, low-calorie foods such as veggies are my saving grace. I make soups, salads, and muffins. They fill me up like something crazy.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cico and i can eat what i like! I even managed tp get takeout and stay within my calories losing 2lbs a week
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I found through personal discovery that counting calories is something that gets obsessive for me. Weighing gets obsessive. I actually pushed myself into a mental breakdown but finally made an appointment with a counselor and he suggested giving up on the strict restrictions.

Im listening to my body, not giving into binge eating as often, and building better home habits with my partner so I'm not so overwhelmed by the rest of my life that I can't handle trying to lose weight. I get a minimum number of "active minutes" each day, and now that I'm feeling mentally and emotionally better or at least improving, I ordered an exercise machine for my home so I can do things on my own time and in my own comfort. I have seen 2lbs of loss in a week so I feel confident I can make progress slowly without needing to resort to the high stress tactics of my past, which always leads to lower self esteem and self image. Opposite of what I need to work on.

Edited to add: I'm also not totally uninformed so I am trying to use my knowledge of nutrition and what I remember of approximately how many calories are in foods. I add in veggies to my two meals of the day, which is still my preference for schedule. The other night, it was easy to resist snacking because I was mindful of being full. Just teensy tiny little changes, but no big rules or restrictions.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    For me looking at the macros more than the calories helps me stay lower carb. Also planning my meals for the week and having everything in the house that I need. Regular exercise also has made a big difference and finding something I enjoy and stick to has really been the key. Finally, taking my measurements on a regular basis has shown me how far I've come way more than the scale.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Using a food scale first and foremost. Once I did, I was surprised just how much I actually was eating! I did that for a week to see patterns, then changed one or two things at a time. It was a lot slower, but it gave me time to get used to changes and build a foundation for later changes down the road.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One thing that works for me but may not be for everyone is skipping breakfast. I used to make myself eat something in the morning because I thought you had to eat breakfast to lose weight. Staying within my calorie goal was a struggle because I like to snack at night. Once I let myself skip breakfast and just eat when I wanted, things got much easier.

BTW, I've lost 50 lbs since June 22.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest help for me is not eating a consistent number of calories. When I first joined this site I was trying to eat X number of calories each day and it was such a chore. Some days eating when I wasn't hungry, others not eating when I was hungry or going over. Logging and measuring and obsessing over every bite and every calorie.

Throwing all that out the window and listening to my body and eating when I was hungry worked better. My calories are all over the place from day to day and I rarely measure anything but I still lost.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I log my food, every day, no matter what. I own the days when I make choices that aren't necessarily the healthiest (and I make sure those choices are delicious), then I get back on track.